Pausing and/or restarting renders

Is it possible to pause or  even completly stop a render.( even shutting down the machine)

Then resume it at a later time?

Thank You

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863

In which application? In Daz Studio an Iray render can be stopped and restarted as long as you don't close the render window, but if you do close the window it is done (and certainly if you close the application). 3Delight does not support even this degree of pausing.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited May 2019

With Iray:

• You can click on the Cancel button of the render window to stop a render.
    • As long as the render window remains open, you can resume the render by clicking on the Resume button of the render window.
    • If you save the image via the Save button on the render window, the window will close after saving and you can no longer resume the render.
    • If you pause the render, (Cancel,) you can save the image without closing the render window if you go back to the Daz Studio main window and use File->Save Last Render… from the main menu. Then return to the render window and hit Resume.

At this time, it is not possible to resume a render once you close the render window.

There is a new product that will shut down the computer after the render finishes, among other features. I use it when I'm rendering a scene overnight, so the computer is off once the render is finished. Here's a link to the Official thread on the product: ManFriday's Render Queue [Commercial].

ETA: This is with Daz Studio.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Is it possible to pause or  even completly stop a render.( even shutting down the machine)

Then resume it at a later time?

Thank You

I think you could achieve that hibernating your machine!

It's disabled by default on Windows 10, because done every time it could damage your SSD (during hibernation you store on your primary drive what's on your RAM, and SSDs don't want a lot of data written on them), but you can activate that function.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I may have something to add to this in that I occasionally pause an Iray render, change something in the scene, and I then start another render while the first, "paused" one is still in memory. And sometimes I do it again and again. I think the most I've ever had is five or six.