Save scene with hidden polygons ?

I have been experimenting with a method to hide foreground polygons record an animation then reverse the hidden polys and then record the sme anim so that I have two layers to then sandwitch around a greenscreen video of an actor to place him or her inside a space craft useing After Effects.The method works but when I save the space craft model as my scene it doesn't save the info about hidden polys so when I reload that scene I have to do the hide polys routine all over again. Is there a way I can save the info about the hidden polygons.
Or pehaps someone knows of a better method of placeing the video inside the 3d model ?

Thanks for any help with this question.
Jim

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,221
    edited December 1969

Which application? How are you hiding the polygons?

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited July 2012

The Polygon Group Editor in DS4 does not save hidden polygons' status. However, if you assign those polygons to a new material group and then set the opacity to 0% you will get the same effect and the new material group WILL be saved in the scene. This will also allow you modify the visibility level of the polygons, setting them invisible is either all or nothing.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,221
    edited December 1969

Hmm, I wonder if a script could save the polygon selection state and rebuild it later?

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited December 1969

The Polygon Group Editor in DS4 does not save hidden polygons' status. However, if you assign those polygons to a new material group and then set the opacity to 0% you will get the same effect and the new material group WILL be saved in the scene. This will also allow you modify the visibility level of the polygons, setting them invisible is either all or nothing.

Kendall

Hi Kendall, could you explain how to do this? I'm having a similar problem with an outfit that I'm trying to render in Lux, but I'm having to use the polygon editor tool to hide polygons because of some weird displacement going on.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Thanks, Szark :)