Problem to upload model in Hexagon (and program keep freezing up)

launoklaunok Posts: 763
edited May 2019 in Hexagon Discussion

Someone suggested I upload a dingbat font which is now in .obj format in Hexagon as I have problems to texture it in Sketchup.  In Sketchup the whole dingbat turns colour you choose which is not the main problem.  Problem is I want to colour dingbat in parts.  In this particular dingbat, a cupcake, want to colour "icing" with different colours and bottom a light brown, etc.

I just want to add that I was not using Hexagon for a long time.  In fact, it was not even installed on my laptop.  Earlier years, I have used the older version before it was updated.  I have only today downloaded and installed the latest, updated version.  But Hexagon crashed the moment I have uploaded the dingbat model which is only about 400 kb or so.  First time using Hexagon.  I couldn't get out of the crashed state and only way was to press Cnrl/Alt/Delete to stop Hexagon running in this state.

Is it in any way possible to colour dingbat fonts in Hexagon?  I got a link to do it 2D way in Photoshop but not sure if possible to do it straight on the actual model itself.

After error menu appears and I got to see model (2nd image) Hexagon crashes.

 

DINGBAT FONT1.JPG
1366 x 768 - 178K
HEXAGON-1.JPG
1366 x 768 - 139K
HEXAGON-2.JPG
1366 x 768 - 154K
Post edited by launok on

Comments

  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,743
    edited May 2019

    It sounds like Hex is having a problem reading the OBJ file. I would say it probably isn't as robust in handling what it considers "poorly formed" OBJ files as some other editors are. If I had the OBJ myself, I would try opening it in some other editors like Blender to see if they can handle it better. Even if you don't want to use Blender (I know I don't!), if you re-export it, it might cleanup the issues that Hex was having with the original.

    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 763
    JonnyRay said:

    It sounds like Hex is having a problem reading the OBJ file. I would say it probably isn't as robust in handling what it considers "poorly formed" OBJ files as some other editors are. If I had the OBJ myself, I would try opening it in some other editors like Blender to see if they can handle it better. Even if you don't want to use Blender (I know I don't!), if you re-export it, it might cleanup the issues that Hex was having with the original.

    Thank you for your reply.  It do open in Bryce though, only problem is in Bryce it's just one mesh and can't be ungrouped in parts.  I have Blender but not installed and have actually never used it.

  • launoklaunok Posts: 763

    How can I get out of Hexagon when it freezes up!?  This is very annoying! indecision

  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,743

    Where did you get the OBJ file? I would be willing to try and see how it looks on my machine.

  • launoklaunok Posts: 763
    edited May 2019
    JonnyRay said:

    Where did you get the OBJ file? I would be willing to try and see how it looks on my machine.

    Johnny, I have tried to upload it here but format not allowed.  I will have to upload it to mega and send link to you by message.  I have converted it from Sketchup to .obj thus on my computer.

    Check your pm, the last 2 links are working.  Ignore the first few tries.  It's the .obj and .mtl

    Post edited by launok on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,743
    edited May 2019

    Okay, so a few things...

    First (and most important) the 3D mesh is an absolute mess! Could you clean it up? Maybe. With hours and hours of work. But it would probably be faster to just start with clipart of a cupcake and make your own model.

    I was able to get it to load by pulling it into my UV mapping tool and removing all of the groups (there were 800 mesh groups on an object that only has 1700 polygons). There was also another figure (Lisanne?) embedded in the OBJ file which had a whole different set of issues with it. I removed that completely to get it down to just the cupcake.

    But, like I said, I don't think you're ever going to get this to do what you want it to do and it would take MANY hours to get this mesh into a usable format. Time better spent making your own object.

    DingbatCupcake.png
    1396 x 872 - 54K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 763
    JonnyRay said:

    Okay, so a few things...

    First (and most important) the 3D mesh is an absolute mess! Could you clean it up? Maybe. With hours and hours of work. But it would probably be faster to just start with clipart of a cupcake and make your own model.

    I was able to get it to load by pulling it into my UV mapping tool and removing all of the groups (there were 800 mesh groups on an object that only has 1700 polygons). There was also another figure (Lisanne?) embedded in the OBJ file which had a whole different set of issues with it. I removed that completely to get it down to just the cupcake.

    But, like I said, I don't think you're ever going to get this to do what you want it to do and it would take MANY hours to get this mesh into a usable format. Time better spent making your own object.

    Thank you Johnny for your comment and to try it out.  That other figure I forgot to remove before exporting it via Sketchup.  That figure is part of Sketchup interface.

    This mean then the fonts (dingbats) will all behave the same way to try texture them.  Well, then I have to go and search for clipart.  I have recently learnt how to add a 2D image on a 3D sketchup model and export it as .obj which worked.  I want to use it as neon style signs in my town renders in Bryce.

    I someway figured out how to ungroup the mesh in Bryce though.  But mesh has limited parts, still can't colour it as I was planning to do.  Brown part is one mesh.

     

    cupcake.jpg
    1200 x 563 - 262K
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,743
    Yes, that looks about like the best you could hope for with the mesh setup the way it is. Sorry it will be more difficult for you.
  • launoklaunok Posts: 763
    edited May 2019
    JonnyRay said:
    Yes, that looks about like the best you could hope for with the mesh setup the way it is. Sorry it will be more difficult for you.

    I got a video tutorial on how to use clipart in Sketchup.  They use GIMP first and then import it into Sketchup.

    Post edited by launok on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 361

    I would not export OBJ from SketchUp. Ever.

  • launoklaunok Posts: 763
    edited May 2019

    I would not export OBJ from SketchUp. Ever.

    This is news to me.  I have actually used Sketchup for downloading models from the Warehouse to use in my personal Bryce renders.  And exporting it as .obj now for years.  Most of the models work well in Bryce, only a few have texture issues but overall texture well.  And now that I am learning the program I have made my own models and those I also export as .obj.

    Is there a specific reason why you would not do it?

    Post edited by launok on
  • MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 223

    Launok, is it an actual dingbat found in a font?  Have you tried using the font tool in Hexagon?  Otherwise, I think it would be best to model it directly in Hexagon. You could export an outline of the dingbat from Adobe Illustrator and then extrude and bridge to fill in the holes.  Also, there are tutorials on Youtube for using fonts Blender, it's pretty easy, that's what I use because the font tool in Hexagon isn't working on the Mac version. 

  • launoklaunok Posts: 763
    edited May 2019

    Launok, is it an actual dingbat found in a font?  Have you tried using the font tool in Hexagon?  Otherwise, I think it would be best to model it directly in Hexagon. You could export an outline of the dingbat from Adobe Illustrator and then extrude and bridge to fill in the holes.  Also, there are tutorials on Youtube for using fonts Blender, it's pretty easy, that's what I use because the font tool in Hexagon isn't working on the Mac version. 

    Yes, it's dingbat fonts.  I have very little knowledge of modeling.  But I can always learn this, there are many videos to learn.  I have only recently installed Hexagon but the moment I tried it, it crashed immediately.

    Post edited by launok on
Sign In or Register to comment.