My rendering has slowed down. How can I speed it up?

The last few days scenes have been slower to render.  I'm talking about still images, not animation.  I have the settings I know of as follows...

Render Settings>General>Render Type=Still Image

Render Settings>Render Mode=Photoreal

Render Settings>Progressive Rendering>Render Quality Enable=I have had it either on or off and don't see much difference.

I have the Engine set at Nvidia Iray.

I've been rendering full screen and it has taken up to 3 hours.  I once saw it render one image for an hour and it was at 3%.  I don't know if I have a setting wrong or what.  One thing I have noticed is a lot of times I can cancel the rendering job and the image is fine enough.  Not perfect, but good.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Which version of DS, Reelase (4.10.0.123) or Public build (4.11.0.335)? Is the scene loading into the GPU or is it falling back to CPU?

• Oops, sorry.  I forgot to mention I'm using Daz 4.10.?.  Not sure about the scene loading.  Where would I find it?

• wildbillnashwildbillnash Posts: 713
    edited April 2019

Okay, just check the Advanced tab.  CPU is checked for both Photoreal Devices & Interactive Devices.  Is that what you are refering to?  Don't see anything about GPU.

Just checked.  I got Daz 4.10.0.123.

Post edited by wildbillnash on
  • What GPU do you have?

• wildbillnashwildbillnash Posts: 713
    edited April 2019

Okay, I seem to be suffering from a brain fart.  What is a GPU?  I know I should know it but can't seem to figure it out.

Okay, just got back.  Are you talking about my graphics card?  It's a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Post edited by wildbillnash on
  • Yes, that was what I meant. That shoudl certainly be appearing in the Advanced tab of Render Settings so my suspicion would be that your driver has been changed (by you or the operating system) to one that isn't being recognised, or if this is a laptop with an Intel GPU on the CPU it's also possible that DS is using the Intel chip only.

• Not a laptop.  It's a desktop.  Both CPU and my graphics card is checked.  Is there supposed to be a GPU option?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,233

The graphics card is the GPU - I was thinking you'd said you had only CPU.

OK, then the enxt question is whether the card is being used - it has 4GB, so that could easily run out. If you do a render and afterwards check Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File about the last entry should tell you how many iterations each device (CPU and GPU) contributed.

• GPU- Graphics Processing Unit (or some variation of that)

If you do a render and afterwards check Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File about the last entry should tell you how many iterations each device (CPU and GPU) contributed.

This log file will also tell you if daz is even attempting to use your graphics card.

you may want to download a tool that tells you how much your graphics card is being used, such as memory and processing power. I use hardware monitor but there are others. Windows task monitor can do this also but it isn't shown by default and you have to know the right options to use or else it won't show the numbers you actually are looking for.