Where does fake movie money come from?

I talked about this with an artist at a local show whose work has images of money.  He had done research into the rules and told me a little.  I have actually gotten a little concerned (very little) about this ... some purchased models I use in contests have money.  Will Black helicopters land on my lawn?  

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/rjr-props-fake-money/index.html

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited April 2019

Yes. It is after all quite illegal to show the mere appearance of money in a picture. So you better save them the effort and turn yourself in.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

In the US, this is a topic that can quickly lead to regulations from multiple agencies.  Have to comply with them all.

One of the agencies has a sense of humor.  The Bureau of Engraving and Printing calls itself the money factory.  Not kidding.  Check their web address.

https://www.moneyfactory.gov/resources/lawsandregulations.html

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I just use the masses of real money I've accrued from selling Carrara landscapes!

. . . that's why they call me the Tuppeny Kid! <ba-dum ching!> laugh

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Pole dsnce and hope someone makes it rain. 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

Happily, the money in my purchased products doesn't look like any real money I've ever seen.  Of course, I've never been to Elbonia ... 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

I've seen a production 'behind the scenes' where the Director cut up newspaper into stacks, and out a single bill on the top of each stack shown on camera. Even when the actor thumbs the stack, it still looked like real cash - just having that one bill on the top! ;)

I just use the masses of real money I've accrued from selling Carrara landscapes!

. . . that's why they call me the Tuppeny Kid! <ba-dum ching!> laugh

yes

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited May 2019

In the UK it would be very hard now to make our currency look fake.  The US only seems to have changed some ink colours. Back in the 80s when colour photocopies came out, we had one at our university. Someone copied their pay cheque and the local bank cashed it... then they deposited the real one at their own back. The uni had to change their cheque design pdq!

The new notes are not paper... they are a polymer and you can see through part of them ( see the girl's eye thought the fiver below). They survive the washing machine no problem. You can launder your own money. wink Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

In the UK it would be very hard now to make our currency look fake.  The US only seems to have changed some ink colours. Back in the 80s when colour photocopies came out, we had one at our university. Someone copied their pay cheque and the local bank cashed it... then they deposited the real one at their own back. The uni had to change their cheque design pdq!

The new notes are not paper... they are a polymer and you can see through part of them ( see the girl's eye thought the fiver below). They survive the washing machine no problem. You can launder your own money. wink Silene

our Aussies ones are like that too

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,025

Euro bills have holographic and embossed printing on some parts, as well as the watermark and quite a few other details to make them harder to copy.

There is a free set of play money coloring sheets that you could use to make a bill texture map for a toon animation or from the distance.

https://www.uscurrency.gov/sites/default/files/downloadable-materials/files/Play-Money-Coloring-Sheets.pdf

currency coloring.JPG
    1053 x 657 - 108K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Our notes are still switching from paper to plastic. £5 and £10 have already changed, £20 changes next year (will feature the artist JWM Turner), and £50 after that. There was a competition last year over who would feature. The result hasn't been announced, and all we know is that it'll be a "dead scientist". They all have the latest features (holograms, transparencies, UV inks, magnetics, metallics, textures etc etc). They were probably modelled after the Aussie & Kiwi ones - they certainly look similar.

edited May 2019

Our notes are still switching from paper to plastic. £5 and £10 have already changed, £20 changes next year (will feature the artist JWM Turner), and £50 after that. There was a competition last year over who would feature. The result hasn't been announced, and all we know is that it'll be a "dead scientist". They all have the latest features (holograms, transparencies, UV inks, magnetics, metallics, textures etc etc). They were probably modelled after the Aussie & Kiwi ones - they certainly look similar.

Boaty McBoatface?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36064659

Post edited by Diomede on

and there was the wad of cash prop

Right, but the point that I (or actually, the Director) was making, is that it's the 'stack' that we need, not the face. We only ever really need show the face on the top. 

If the actors create the believability of it, we believe! :)

I have a purchased model of "A Billion Dollars" from 3dRivers, whcih apparently has moved to TurboSquid and the model did not survive.  See render attached.

Billion $ Carrara Render 2.jpeg
    720 x 480 - 297K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

Australian notes have a good trick.. they disappear as quick as you get them right before your eyes  cool  laugh

especially when the kids are around!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,699

Australian notes have a good trick.. they disappear as quick as you get them right before your eyes  cool  laugh

especially when the kids are around!

American money has the same effect.  Take some cash to the mall and it disappears but I end up with bags from places such as Bath and Body Works or Barnes and Noble or other places.  Go into the food court on an empty stomach and that money goes faster.

I know it is illegal to make fake money that looks real, but is it illegal to make fake Monopoly money?

I have wondered how to make money for renders before.  

Attached is  Poser format product I bought ... elsewhere ...

3D Money.jpg
    800 x 799 - 194K

i'm kinda suprised Pres Trump hasnt put his mug on a bill  Lol

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited May 2019
    Mystarra said:

Think only dead presidents can, I best leave that one alone.....but them hamberders are full of heart attack ingredients 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    Mystarra said:

Think only dead presidents can, I best leave that one alone.....but them hamberders are full of heart attack ingredients 

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

I know it is illegal to make fake money that looks real, but is it illegal to make fake Monopoly money?

Go to Jail! Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200.