Texture weirdness in Daz & Photoshop

Has anyone ever had a texture go wonky like this? Working on a model and alllll the texture work is fine as PNGs, except one. It worked initially as a PNG, now it appears much lighter in Daz, both in preview and the render. I have like 8 other colors of this same texture and they all look and work fine. I have resaved the texture, cut and pasted it into a new document, refreshed and restarted Studio. No go.

Also, as part of testing, I loaded one of the other materials presets and ONLY swapped out the diffuse image and it still doesn't work. So it's not the materials settings, or the lights or the angle or Daz in any way that I can see. It doesn't seem to be Photoshop either, as it worked before. I checked the color profile in PS as well. 

The only way it works is if I change it to a jpeg and then it works normally. I even opened the JPEG and resaved THAT as a PNG and it does the same thing. The texture file works fine in PS and looks fine there too. Something REALLLY hidden is going on with it and I think it HAS to be in PS and not Daz. I also renamed the file a couple of times to be sure it wasn't just a leftover in the cache as well as refreshing the textures and even put it in a totally new blank scene.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-29-at-5.57.23-PM.jpg
936 x 384 - 54K

Comments

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

It look slike the same material but more light. Did you add a spot light?

• ZaiZai Posts: 289

Hi there...

Nope...nothing changed at all. I can have both the PNG and the jpeg version side by side in the same scene. The only difference is the file type.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    edited April 2019

Different gamma settings maybe? IIRC png format has a parameter for gamma while jpg doesn’t, so DS might use a default value for the jpg which would be different than the one stored in the png.

Post edited by Leana on

Hrm...its a possibility but I don't think so because all the other colors are PNGs and they work fine. And the pink one did too until a few days ago, and it also looks correct in PS. I'm going to try resaving from my other machine where it was originally created on the off chance there's something weird between the Mac and PC although why that should be I don't know.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738

In DS images can have their own Gamma setting, which is sued to convert back to gamma = 1 for rendering (if an image is not correctly adjusted it can indeed end up blown out as it gets gamma corrected on top of its existing gamma correction). You can check by opening the image menu in the Surfaces pane (click the little thumbnail) and selecting Image Editor - try setting the value to 2.2 if it is currently 1, or even 0).

ooo...good idea Richard. Although probably not since when I swap it with another identical (except for the diffuse, which is the only thing I swap) mat setting it doesn't work either. I'll go try it out...