Morph loader is giving me inconsistent results and I don't understand why.

Sand3Sand3 Posts: 99

I'm running DS4.6 and trying to load morphs into a skirt that I've made for Genesis. All of the OBJs were exported from Blender using identical settings and are being imported into DAZ, but they're giving me different results. I'll go over what I'm doing with screenshots.

I import the skirt, choosing Blender for the scale and then switching Y and Z.

Skirt Import Settings
The Skirt

I run the transfer-utility, choosing "dress" for the template and all goes well there. Then I open up morph loader pro, choose Blender as the scale again, and again switch Y and Z.

Detailed Import Settings
Morph Paths

I don't want to complicate the issue for right now, or create more places for something to go wrong, so I'll leave them in the default "Morph Loader" heading and hit accept. All 12 morphs declare themselves successful...

Morph Results

but when I go to my Parameters tab, it only shows four morphs. What happened to the other eight?

Parameters Tab

Some of the morphs work perfectly:

Working Morph

Some of them roll forward 90 degrees.

What the hell, Morph?

All of them were exported from Blender with exactly the same settings, all of them were imported into DAZ with exactly the same settings, so what's happening here and how do I fix it?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Don't flip y and z Axis, better yet don't use the Blender Scale at all, it has never been correct.

• Sand3Sand3 Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

5000%, X,Y,Z is what makes it come out correctly. I can't change those settings without messing everything up.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,672
    edited December 1969

Your axes aren't switched in the option screenshots.

Are you loading the morphs onto a clean copy of the skirt figure, or onto one you had previously tried loading morphs for? What are your setting for each morph (click the triangle next to the name in Morph Loader Pro)? If you enable hidden parameters (Parameters pane option menu - button in the top corner or right-click the tab) do the missing morphs show?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

First off swapping axis is a bad idea, as you are physically mirroring your mesh when you do so, what was on the left in the modeling program will be on the right in DS & Poser. It's one of the issues you have to deal with if you use a modeling program, some are designed to use the real world axis, while others use the same computer world axis as DS & Poser (x=horizontal, y=vertical, z=scale).

If MLP doesn't like the OBJ then it still goes through the motions, makes it look like the morph has been created, only for you to find out it hasn't actually done anything, and it doesn't tell you why it didn't do it either. So trying to figure out what's wrong with the OBJ can be a PITFA.

• Sand3Sand3 Posts: 99
    edited November 2013

Your axes aren't switched in the option screenshots.I switched the axises during the export from Blender. They already have Y being the vertical axis before I import them to DAZ.

But why should that aspect matter, so long as my import settings in morph loader are identical to my import settings when bringing the skirt onto the stage?

Are you loading the morphs onto a clean copy of the skirt figure, or onto one you had previously tried loading morphs for?I always start over with a clean copy. When it doesn't work, I delete the object and start over, or go back to a previously saved scene where the skirt has been rigged with transfer-utility but has not had any morphs put in.

What are your setting for each morph? If you enable hidden parameters do the missing morphs show?
    Property Group: Morphs/Morph Loader
    (I was going in and creating a group called "movement", but after a few failed attempts decided to leave it on Morph Loader's default group, to cross that off the list as a potential place the problem was happening.)
    Create Control Property: yes
    Reverse Deformations: no
    Overwrite Existing: Make Unique

No, "Show hidden properties" doesn't change the display at all, still just four dials.

First off swapping axis is a bad idea, as you are physically mirroring your mesh when you do so,

I am not swapping the axis. I am adjusting DAZ's default import settings to match the settings I used when exporting from Blender. The mesh is not being mirrored, I double checked when this issue came up, right is still right and left is still left. These are also the same import/export settings I've been using successfully for many previous clothing items. I've been making clothing for Genesis for quite a while without a problem, this is the first one that's misbehaving.

If MLP doesn't like the OBJ then it still goes through the motions, makes it look like the morph has been created, only for you to find out it hasn't actually done anything, and it doesn't tell you why it didn't do it either. So trying to figure out what's wrong with the OBJ can be a PITFA.I'm not sure if your familiar with Blender, but I created the morphs using Blender's "shapes" function (it's just what the call their dialed morphs). I am exporting the exact same mesh, with the exact same settings, 13 times, the only difference is that I dial a different shape between each export.

Post edited by Sand3 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,672
    edited November 2013

I'm sorry, but I don't see why this is failing selectively for you. One thing to try (assuming Blender has the function) would be to load the base OBJ back in and then try to load your morph OBJs as new shapes for that - it would at least confirm that there was nothing grossly wrong with the files.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on