has anyone started a carrara wiki we can all write to?

have a carrara reinstall fresh in my mind smiley

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656

Dart's Carrara Information Manual might be considered a Wiki.

I was going to link the Challenge 46 with the shader tutorials/tips/tricks to it, Dart has also mentioned putting the tutorials in it in an easy to find way.

• There is a Wiki available and unused cheeky on the SourceForge page of the CTS project.

If anybody is interested, I can make it available.

That said, I think CarraraCafe would be the right place to host it.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Emailed the CC staff about the wiki idea...
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Checked out Fractaldimensia's wiki from 2013, good start with 36 pages of content. Desktop mode is needed to edit pages. The app is useless, cannot even find the site. Mobile browsers are okay for viewing. https://carrara.fandom.com/
  • Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 95

Hello! 

that is a great idea to have a Carrara Wiki page. However to me wiki pages seems pretty much the same thing as forum pages. Like we used to have on Carrara Cafe Legacy forum 

http://carraracafe.com/forum-2/

If that would fit the goal, we could use the current Carrara Cafe forum to post material that I could then turn into Carrara Cafe pages so it would be easy to find the content. Carrara Cafe has search tools for topics and tags, Carrara Cafe started as a central place for everything related to Carrara and we hoped to become an easy to use knowledge base for Carrara users. I will also look into what kind of Wiki tools we could implement to Carrara Cafe. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

would be good to have it centralized.

i cry tears thinking of all that was lost when the forum migrated.  screenshots were lost.

and tutorials vanich from you tube.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

I second the carrara-cafe idea. severely under-utilized resource, and so nicely put together. (Carrarators too, sigh).

tnx JB-D2!

--ms

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198
    3drendero said:
    Emailed the CC staff about the wiki idea...

Thanks for that! yes

That is a great idea to have a Carrara Wiki page. However to me wiki pages seems pretty much the same thing as forum pages. Like we used to have on Carrara Cafe Legacy forum 

http://carraracafe.com/forum-2/

If that would fit the goal, we could use the current Carrara Cafe forum to post material that I could then turn into Carrara Cafe pages so it would be easy to find the content. Carrara Cafe has search tools for topics and tags, Carrara Cafe started as a central place for everything related to Carrara and we hoped to become an easy to use knowledge base for Carrara users. I will also look into what kind of Wiki tools we could implement to Carrara Cafe. 

Thanks Danas! You ROCK!!! I think that's (Carrara Cafe forum idea) a great idea! And it would make it much easier for you to get it in working order into the Cafe! Brilliant!

Mystarra said:

would be good to have it centralized.

i cry tears thinking of all that was lost when the forum migrated.  screenshots were lost.

and tutorials vanich from you tube.

Me too. We had such a great resource that just disappeared. DT, Tim Payne, well... all of us... we lost a LOT of great material.

mindsong said:

I second the carrara-cafe idea. severely under-utilized resource, and so nicely put together. (Carrarators too, sigh).

tnx JB-D2!

--ms

Too true, my friend! I don't get a whole lot of internet time these days, but I still try to frequent the Cafe when I can. I love that place!

So... with JetBird's idea, we'd need to write articles in the forum, correct?

edited May 2019

let me know, i'll add the wiki link to my siggy line smiley

on a side note, trying to read the motion path thread but my browser freezes when i try.

i've never updated a wiki before, will be a learning experience.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Jetbird D2Jetbird D2 Posts: 95

Hello, 

Sorry for late reply, had a trip to Italy and after my return a lot of unfinished business that needs to be finished. Anyway, yes, I think we could make a start in the forum. We have Tutorials, Tips & Tricks section where knowledge could be spread. I will try to find a good tool for adding wiki features to Cafe assuming there are good wiki tools available out there.  But if not wiki pages, why not make forum posts into nice looking Carrara Cafe website pages? :) 

So don;t forget to add beautiful images ;) 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,198

Hello, 

Sorry for late reply, had a trip to Italy and after my return a lot of unfinished business that needs to be finished. Anyway, yes, I think we could make a start in the forum. We have Tutorials, Tips & Tricks section where knowledge could be spread. I will try to find a good tool for adding wiki features to Cafe assuming there are good wiki tools available out there.  But if not wiki pages, why not make forum posts into nice looking Carrara Cafe website pages? :) 

So don;t forget to add beautiful images ;) 

yes !!!

there's a lot of lost tutorial links  holly seems to have pulled everything.  sadd

holly's most memorable is the specular high lights.

is it unethical to create new tutts to replace ost ones?  like a new specular highligjt video?

edited June 2019

lookin for a 50x50 thumbnail for carrara cafe.  for my sigline smiley

or anyone who wants a link, need small thumb

Post edited by Mistara on
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Carrara cafe is a very useful site, but is it still dependent on someone paying bills, keeping lights on, never getting sick, etc? Or is it in a range of hands to eliminate those problems? Do mirror sites still exist as a thing? I'm just thinking about how quickly some 3D stores have disappeared without warning at times.