Monitor recommendations/advice, 16:9 or 21:9?

ShazGTShazGT Posts: 15

Been a while since I was last on here, just last week started getting back into Daz stuff, signed up for PC+, bought Carrara 8.5 Pro (After years of having 8.1 Pro) with discounts for just under $17 and so on...   saved a TON of money on that and other content for Daz Studio, Bryce Pro and Carrara, etc.

In process of gathering last of parts for my upgraded gaming PC and 3D/Video editing workstation.

For a couple years now, I've been finding deals on parts for older hardware, pair of Xeon E5540 Quad's, mobo, RAM, etc...   Older, but still capable Dual Quad setup (eventually get a pair of 3GHz or faster Hex cores).   For use with Daz products, Vue, Mandelbulb 3D, and others, along with video editing, image editing (PS and GIMP), and some audio production apps.

Just have a new copy of Windows to buy and install for it.    That aside, I'm looking to get a new monitor to use for working in apps, and gaming, the latter I know what to get, but for the apps use, I'm debating on what to get, 21:9 Ultra Wide, 2K or standard 16:9 2K monitor.

Already know to look for IPS panels, HDR10 or better support, sRGB 99.9% or whatever specs, etc.

But debating between some 34" 2560x1080 displays vs 27"-32" 1440p displays.   And kind of wondering what other users and artists would recommend.

What I already have is a 43" 4K TV, 60Hz, non HDR, and an older 27" 1080p VA based panel monitor (but thanks to some screen burn in, there's a few spots on screen lightly discolored).  Also have an Oculus Rift to utilize with the gaming PC as well (Have some 3D rendering apps for that too).

Hardware wise, my gaming PC will be an i7 6700K, 16GB DDR4 (add another 16GB by end of summer), GTX 1080 GPU.   Work station, pair of Xeon E5540's, 8GB DDR3 per CPU currently (16GB total, hopefully add another 16-32GB before end of summer), and utilize my "old" GTX 980 Ti from previous gaming PC.

I'm kind of leaning towards some LG 34" Ultra wides, 2560x1080 res, albeit 60-75Hz, anything higher in refresh is more or less out of my price range unless its standard 16:9 monitors (what I'm willing to shell out anyways).   Looking to spend $200-350 ish range on one.   Same for 16:9 2560x1440 2K monitors too.

It also seems a large price hike for 3440x1440 Ultra wides as well.

But if I can find one with at least 75Hz, not too concerned about resolution with gaming in mind, more refresh rate for smoother frame rates.   1440p 16:9 or 1080p 21:9 i'm fine with for gaming, but 3D rendering debating which will be better for image quality, with out breaking the bank.

Preferably new, but I'm comfortable buying factory refurbished as well, if its a good enough deal.

I know both my GPU's are more than up to the task of rendering on any of those displays described above.   But looking for recommendations and advice from others.

Been mulling decisions for over a week now, trying to settle on one choice or another. 

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

I recently switched to a 4k HDR tv.

I have found that extra height to be invaluable and would always choose the extra vertical pixels if possible.

• 16:10, if you can find one :(

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

16:10, if you can find one :(

Too bad Dell doesn't make an Ultrasharp higher than 1920x1200, :(

But to the original poster's question, a 4K display is much better for rendering. If you need more vertical space for menus, you could look for a second monitor just for that purpose. If  you have the room.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

I think of it like this.

WHatever resolution my monitor is, I am going to want to render my images to fit so I can use them as wallpapers if I want.  So the higher the resolution, the longer its going to take me to render

• ShazGTShazGT Posts: 15

I'm not too concerned about render time for higher res, I already render at various resolutions, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, and 4K with Carrara and others.   Even if my current main monitor is 1080p.

I haven't done much in a while with rendering other than Mandelbulb3D on my laptop (older 3rd gen i5 Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 5400rpm hdd...  needless to say, slow), and some other 2D based fractal flame render programs.

But if I remember right, my laptop is 1366x768, still render images at 1080p and even 4K.

Though a few years ago a couple renders I did in Carrara, also rendered them in 8K before that was even really a thing.

Granted my 4K TV doesn't support HDR, and not sure how accurate it is for colors, but I could use that for my monitor if need be.

I'm kind of curious about the 21:9 monitors for more work space though too...

Ultimately if I had to, I could use 2 monitors, the TV and a dedicated 16:9 or 16:10.

I have enough desk space for both, though I'll need a good swing arm desk mount for the smaller one.   Couple years ago when I bought the desk (metal, wood, tempered glass, still have to build and put in room), I bought a nice hotel/motel style TV/Monitor mount, Post style, that I can install to my desk.   Use a swing arm monitor mount to move work monitor into place as needed or out of the way.   Basically the whole desk set up is my gaming, hobby, and entertainment center in one.