How To Restore Daz Studio Product Library When You Format Your PC?

Hi everyone! :D

Something that I've never understood is what would be the best way to make Daz Studio library backups!

Each time I format my PC, I have to spend something like 3 days setting everything up all over again crying

I mostly use Daz Connect, but I have some freebies and a lot of converted clothes/hair/poses. Since I always put everything in "Smart Content", I'd like to restore these metadata too.

So, how do you do it?

Comments

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited April 2019

before format, RAR your library and copy to out place
    in  new install, decompress libray and re import metadata

for "non" metadata product, it need to copy your "user data"
    show on this faq https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/990669/#Comment_990669

Post edited by cm152335 on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited April 2019

The best way is to have 2 more seperate HD, one for your installed content, and one for the archives in case you lose the HD with the installed stuff IMO. Then when you need to reinstall OS, you just point daz back to the untouched HD with the content installed. Keeping C just for OS and programs, and using other HD for other stuff has served me well over the years. I got 6 HD, one for all my art stuff, one for backups and archives of all my art stuff, one for media like audiobooks music movies etc, one for games, one for scratchdisk/ramdisk, and one for OS.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    cm152335 said:

show on this faq https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/990669/#Comment_990669

How does the metadata part work?

In particular, I'm very interested in converted clothes/hair/poses and freebies metadata!!!

Is this user data a kind of metadata?

TheKD said:

The best way is to have 2 more seperate HD, one for your installed content, and one for the archives in case you lose the HD with the installed stuff IMO. Then when you need to reinstall OS, you just point daz back to the untouched HD with the content installed. Keeping C just for OS and programs, and using other HD for other stuff has served me well over the years. I got 6 HD, one for all my art stuff, one for backups and archives of all my art stuff, one for media like audiobooks music movies etc, one for games, one for scratchdisk/ramdisk, and one for OS.

And does the metadata remain untouched this way? I always use Smart Content!

Nowadays I'm using my primary NVME SSD (I can't stand HDD loading time in Daz), but I'll buy a dedicated SSD sooner or later.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

I would imagine there is a way to get you meta on the seperate HD, but I can't say for sure. After two DB corruptions I scrapped using the smart content system and just started organizing the content library level instead lol. What does SSD help with in load times for studio? Like when you add a genesis figure it comes in faster? Thus far I have only used my evo ssd for my OS and the current game I am playing, would have to get a much larger one to fit my content lol.

TheKD said:

I would imagine there is a way to get you meta on the seperate HD, but I can't say for sure. After two DB corruptions I scrapped using the smart content system and just started organizing the content library level instead lol. What does SSD help with in load times for studio? Like when you add a genesis figure it comes in faster? Thus far I have only used my evo ssd for my OS and the current game I am playing, would have to get a much larger one to fit my content lol.

Yes, every time I load something it's faster!

Well, I prefer to use Smart Content, and that's actually the center of my question! ^^

Thank you anyway :D

• The database is in the Content Cluster directory set in Edit>Preferencse>CMS Settings, back it up only when it isn't being used (DIM, DS, and Carrara closed). The content locations are stored relative to the content  diectory, so you don't have to use the same content directories for the database to work.

The database is in the Content Cluster directory set in Edit>Preferencse>CMS Settings, back it up only when it isn't being used (DIM, DS, and Carrara closed). The content locations are stored relative to the content  diectory, so you don't have to use the same content directories for the database to work.

Thank you Richard, so the next time I'll try to copy and paste that! :D

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited April 2019
    TGFan4 said:
    cm152335 said:

In particular, I'm very interested in converted clothes/hair/poses and freebies metadata!!!

TheKD said:

Nowadays I'm using my primary NVME SSD (I can't stand HDD loading time in Daz), but I'll buy a dedicated SSD sooner or later.

when you use the feature "RE IMPORT METADATA"
    daz read all files .DSX in the > runtime/support/ ,,,, on all installed libraries
    and create a "database" in the main path installed of Daz 3D 

user data is some manualy change in smart content apply by the user,
    usefull for search in "content library" 

as example in user data changes, in some clothes (non metadata) i use a "TAG" search input "FX"
    i use it to classify some clothes with exptended morph

Post edited by cm152335 on
    cm152335 said:
    TGFan4 said:
    cm152335 said:

TheKD said:

when you use the feature "RE IMPORT METADATA"
    daz read all files .DSX in the > runtime/support/ ,,,, on all installed libraries
    and create a "database" in the main path installed of Daz 3D 

user data is some manualy change in smart content apply by the user,
    usefull for search in "content library" 

as example in user data changes, in some clothes (non metadata) i use a "TAG" search input "FX"
    i use it to classify some clothes with exptended morph

Thank you, I want to try this out! :D

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

Make sure to back up %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4\user layouts if you have any custom layouts!

I have my secondary monitor dedicated to all my windows and tabs so my viewport is the entire other monitor. Every time you upgrade storage or went to the beta I needed to rebuild them unless you back up that folder

That's cool! :D

I don't have space for 2 monitors xD