Converting Jacket OBJ to clothing

I need help with converting a jacket in OBJ format to clothing for G3. I was able to import the OBJ file then Place G3 in an A pose to match the jacket, and then used the transfer utility to convert the jacket. Obviously since G3's default pose is a T pose this cause issues in the jacket's upper sleave  see attached photos. What exactly would be the correct method to take a jacket OBJ file in an A pose and bring it into DAZ and fit it to a G3 character? The first picture is how it looks before using the transfer utility, the other 2 pictures are after the transfer utility was used. Thank You!!

rita jacket1.jpg
1053 x 878 - 109K
rita jacket2.jpg
1053 x 878 - 132K
rita jacket3.jpg
1053 x 878 - 94K

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    kwannie said:

I need help with converting a jacket in OBJ format to clothing for G3. I was able to import the OBJ file then Place G3 in an A pose to match the jacket, and then used the transfer utility to convert the jacket. Obviously since G3's default pose is a T pose this cause issues in the jacket's upper sleave  see attached photos. What exactly would be the correct method to take a jacket OBJ file in an A pose and bring it into DAZ and fit it to a G3 character? The first picture is how it looks before using the transfer utility, the other 2 pictures are after the transfer utility was used. Thank You!!

I'm not sure if this will work, but when you do the Transfer Utility, try changing the item shape from "default" to "current" and see if that will work.

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

No such luck Diva, I had the same result as before. Since the jacket doesn't have rigging when imported, I guess the adjust rigging to shape would not come into play for this right? The torso of the jacket works great with the transfer utility, its just the arms that are screwy. Is there a way to trick the transfer utility into accepting G3 in an A Pose?

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    kwannie said:

No such luck Diva, I had the same result as before. Since the jacket doesn't have rigging when imported, I guess the adjust rigging to shape would not come into play for this right? The torso of the jacket works great with the transfer utility, its just the arms that are screwy. Is there a way to trick the transfer utility into accepting G3 in an A Pose?

Did you try setting both the Source (G3F) and Target item (the jacket) to "Item Shape: Current" when you did the transfer utility?

If you tried that and it didn't work then maybe also try expanding the "show options" in the Transfer Utility window and try putting a check by "Closest Vertex First" and "Use Near Vertices". See if that helps. 

If all else fails you might try morphing the jacket sleeves in a modelling program to more closely match the standard G3 pose.

Sadly, I'm still really new to clothing creation so I probably can't be much help. I'm sorry. :( Maybe someone who's more skilled with that can offer some tips.

• MazhMazh Posts: 476

What about fitting it to a G8F first, raising her arms to a G3F matching T pose then, export the jacket as an obj and do the G3F transfer again with this obj.

No idea if this works, just an idea...

Yes, Diva I did try it with both in Item Shape Current. It turned out the same way. Mazh the jacket still doesn't match the 45 degree angle that G8's arms are in so the sleeves after the Transfer Utility are still messed up.I some how need to match the figure's pose to the jacket and make the pose the default temporarily, I think.

• Does the jacket, as imported, line up with teh figure's zero pose?

No Richard, the jacket is in an "A" pose which does not line up with G8 either. I knew the figure's default pose is what was causing the issue but I don't know what to do about it.  Is there a way to set the adjusted pose to the zero pose just for the transfer utility?

• It is possible to pose the figure to fit the jacket, then use Edit>Figure>Rigging>Bake Rotations first (and I think you need to zero any JCMs, but thats tep always muddles me0. Once you've run the Transfer Utility on that figure fit the jacket to None, then apply the opposite of the pose (so if you bent the Genesis 8 female shoulder  down by 10 bend the jacket shoulder up by 10) then apply Edit>Figure>Bake Rotations to that. You will then hae a basic rig which can be refined.

Richard I did as you suggested and I got the results as shown in the attached picture. This was after the transfer utility was applied. The jacket has the issues under the arm on the sides of the jacket torso only. I fit the jacket to G3 and everything except the part of the jacket that is messed up moved with the character on applying bends. When I did the bake to rotations I selected the shoulder bend bone (top bone in the arm) and then selected children so the whole arm would be selected. I was not sure where to look to zero JCMs. Any idea what I screwed up?

rita jacket 4.jpg
    1053 x 878 - 92K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Maybe try dForce; do animated drape from A to T pose, then export the result?

Actully Oso, I was thinking about that too, but using VWD. I'm not that familiar with dForce. Is there a need to define clothing type in dForce so that pocket flaps and lapels stay stiff?

Richard, do you have any idea why part of the sides of the jacket would have been included in the sleeve face group when using the transfer utility?

rita jacket 4.jpg
    1053 x 878 - 92K
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,647

You migth try to go into weigth paint mode, and then you can paint the troublesome areas to lower chest bone, or whatever is more appropriate.

• Cichy3D Cichy3D Posts: 132

I like Oso suggestion. I'd put the jacket on the model, go to dforce and add dforce dynamic simulation, than go into surfaces and change under the surfaces that include pockets and stuff to simulation strength at 0. 0 mean it will stay in place. Pose the model to T pose and run simulation.

So, dForce will work on an OBJ item? I thought it had to be an item speciffically made for dForce. I guess I select the OBJ item (jacket) then open the simulation tab right? I'm not sure what to do then.

felis, oh how I wish I knew where the weight painting mode was....lol.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited April 2019
    kwannie said:

Richard, do you have any idea why part of the sides of the jacket would have been included in the sleeve face group when using the transfer utility?

The Transfer Utility goes by what is closest, as far as I know, so if the fabric is away from the chest it may have been picked up by the arms when the weights were projected. As felis says you can edit the weight maps.

Tools>Node Weight Map Brush, you will also probably want the Geometry Editor tool to target your edits.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

What exactly would be the correct method to take a jacket OBJ file in an A pose and bring it into DAZ
     and fit it to a G3 character? 

Hi I am not trying to be flippant, however as a Daz genesis clothing developer myself
     ,I would strongly advise that the "correct method"would be to export your intended base model
    to a modeling program as an .obj file in its DEFAULT pose and  Force fit  your  jacket to fit  closely around that base shape
    in the modeling program.cool

Any method ,other than this ,and the transfer utility will fight you at every turn as it was designed 
    based on the assumption that are are creating  your clothing to the base pose at a minimum.

Now yes ...it has options to let you rig to custom shapes such as a really fat or muscled up base character 
    but in my experience they really...really  should be in their default pose for a predictable result
    with the Daz Studio TU.

Forgive my ignorence Richard, but what do you mean by,  the Geometry Editor to target edits?

Wolf, I am even more of a novice with 3D modelers than I am with DAZ. I'm worried I would jack up the vertices and loops around the shoulders with this jacket because it is supposed to have shoulder pads like in the 1980's. As a matter of fact what I am doing is a scene depicticting a 1980's style dance called "Dancing Hero" that I converted an MMD motion for. If you do a search you can see the live action version with this jacket in it.

• kwannie said:

Forgive my ignorence Richard, but what do you mean by,  the Geometry Editor to target edits?

The geometry Editor tool can be used to select aeras of the model, which can then be used to fill with a weight or can be locked to prevent accidentally changing their values (most of that is in the right-click menu).

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

I'd just edit the original mesh in Hexagon to fit the default T-Pose.

Ghastly you know of any tutorials around on how to edit a a jacket in Hexagon? The problem I think would be to creat the correct looping in the mesh around the upper sleeves near the shoulders, since it is suppose to have significant shoulder pads. I'm sure its just a matter of doing a marquee selection around each sleeve individully the rotating up to the Tpose position, but then the faces of the mesh at the top of the sleeve  would not look right. I'm not sure what to do with it from there.