Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

New to the forums but not to Carrara, I'm the typical otaku and like anime.

I had to look up otaku, but yes, some good shows there.  Martin Landau is a favorite of mine.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

architectural inspires is harder.

i like gothic but i dont like all the pointy things on roofs and staples.

a dragon could get hurt on those.

or steeples rather

the path style options in zoo tycoon is a nice variety.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited July 2019

A little bit of inspiration   Ray's star on the walk of fame.

A few Sinbad movies, a few dinasaur movies, wonderous figures and techniques, and lots of inspiration.

ray h star on fame.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 5M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814

pretty much anything Medieval Fantasy floats my boat heart

I used a Half Price Books 50% off coupon today to buy the first two HBO seasons of this series (about 60 episodes).  The first one ("The Crowd") gave me some good ideas.  Bradbury is one of the greats, along with Asimov, William Gibson, Heinlein, Arthur C. Clark, ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ray_Bradbury_Theater

sometimes the content itself inspires an animation.

like big bill  

Mystarra said:

sometimes the content itself inspires an animation.

like big bill  

That is the most common source of inspiration for me.  This 5 minute animation was pretty much inspired by that huge "Flying Boat" model (WWII British RAF Short Sunderland Bomber), from one of the best modelers who included a full interior, add-on props, detailed uncovered engines, and sections of the hull/fuselage easily hidden for good camera angles.  Lots of places to set scenes.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piz1Rbm4fAM

have you unfathomed the trick of matrix style animation scenes?

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Mystarra said:

Are you talking about Bullet Time?

"Jaws"

"The film was scored by legendary composer John Williams, and Spielberg initially thought that the two-note theme song [the 'Shark theme'] he played for him on a piano was a joke when he first heard it.  However, Spielberg would later say, 'The score was clearly responsible for half of the success of that movie.'  The powerful theme song is one of the most iconic in cinema, and it earned Williams an Academy Award for best original dramatic score."  (CNN, 28July2019)

People say even the sharks swim around humming that theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3bN5YeiQs

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited July 2019

A great show for inspiration on space scenes is the Expanse. Amazon bought it and just announced season 5 (with season four to debut in Decembor I think) for Prime members.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    Mystarra said:

Are you talking about Bullet Time?

dunno.  it's like they suspended, then camera does a 360 round them.  bullets leave worm hole trails. smiley  i seen carrara demos showing smoke trails

deciding if i should upgrade my sonty plat suite to magix latest version.

or should i try premiere elements.

dunno which is easier to work in.

really wanted final cut pro, but seems it only runs on macs.
    i would have to get a mac and learn how to use it.  

Mystarra said:

deciding if i should upgrade my sonty plat suite to magix latest version.

or should i try premiere elements.

dunno which is easier to work in.

really wanted final cut pro, but seems it only runs on macs.
    i would have to get a mac and learn how to use it.  

Some months back I upgraded from Magix "Movie Edit Pro" to "Vegas Pro", which Magix acquired from Sony.  They gave me an upgrade price, plus "Vegas Pro" runs more high end plugins, like from Boris, FXHome (Ignite Pro),  et al.  So far so good.  (And yes, FCP runs only on Macs.)

i ended up buying this  cane to 32 bux after a clippable coupon smiley  mebbe next year can get the pro version.angel

Mystarra said:

i ended up buying this  cane to 32 bux after a clippable coupon smiley  mebbe next year can get the pro version.angel

Sounds like a good price.  The primary reason I got Vegas Pro was to run "Particle Illusion", a 2D FX program that I have used for years in a standalone version.  It was acquired by BorisFX and reworked as a plugin (only) for high end video programs (and they gave me a 50% upgrade price).  I'm just glad its available at all, I was worried it would disappear.  Here is an overview:

edited August 2019

so far the cheap vegas is a nightmare.

came with a music maker, so i installed it.  it installed some bull pc utilities.  had to fully uninstall it.

In the movie editor, in my old sony version, could add a media clip and it would sit there and wait patiently.

in the magix vegas version it automatically loads to the video track.  removing it from the video track removes it from the mnedia pane.
    omg

Post edited by Mistara on

sigh  my current version of premiere elements ver 9 cant render to hd, the highest it will go is 640x480

i was happy with sony plat 11.  guess i'll have to buy another one if it still out there for this pc.

edited August 2019

found old sony movie 10 deep in my closet next to poser 7.  lol  runs in win10.
    no craziness with adding clips, doesn't junk up my video track.
    now the big decision is which mp4 to pick.  there's a sony mp4, and a main mp4.

just remembered my sony sound library is on old pc.  gahhh
    now i have to hook it up after i put it away deep in my closet.

edited August 2019

it's Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0

activation went without a hitch. smiley

mebbe i should leave my old pc hooked up
    has sony acid on it.  2 cores, not worth making it a render node.

is there a way to set this as default?  disable resampling

set as default.JPG
    563 x 515 - 41K

Some months back we finally subscribed to Netflix (when I realized ny PS4 could stream it to my TV).  I previously relied on DVD's bought cheap/used at Amazon, or borrowed from the public library just down the street (cut the cable long ago).  But for $9/month, there is a LOT of good stuff there.  Here's 100 examples, including some faves like "Halt and Catch Fire", "Black Mirror", "Twin Peaks" (first season), "The End Of The F***ing World", "Sherlock", ... 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/arts/television/best-tv-shows-on-netflix.html?fallback=0&recId=1PCHU6IFSkivdbzFB8QJdIG44OX&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=TX&recAlloc=top_conversion&geoCountry=US&blockId=most-popular&imp_id=714057828&action=click&module=Most%20Popular&pgtype=Homepage

was thinkin bout ordering these books.  but ise not sure it's a topic for book learning.
    isnt it as much the artist's eye as composing the scene?

an example that comes to mind, remember the scene the towers, lotr, she standing up on the windy hill, the flag comes loose and goes flying in the wind.  it conveyed how windy a day it was.  show don't tell.

I like this series at Amazon:

"Master Shots Vol 1, 2nd edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get An Expensive Look on your Low Budget Movie" Second Edition, Revised Edition

Also Vol 2 & 3 with more ideas for shooting scenes.  All three get 4.5 star (out of 5) from reviewers, and have fairly lenghthy previews.

Master Shots V1.jpg
    499 x 341 - 18K

worth a look smiley

not wsting render frames on un needed footage save a lot of time lol

Master shot A master shot is a film recording of an entire dramatized scene, from start to finish, from an angle that keeps all the players in view. It is often a long shot and can sometimes perform a double function as an establishing shot.

edited August 2019

huh  how do you set iso on a carrara camera.  i wearingthe right hat to be a director smiley

dunno how to use a histogram. it sounds important

Mystarra said:

Master shot A master shot is a film recording of an entire dramatized scene, from start to finish, from an angle that keeps all the players in view. It is often a long shot and can sometimes perform a double function as an establishing shot.

Here's a big selection of great scenes, many of which could probably be said to include "master shots".  No. 2, "Barry Lyndon", is specifically called a master shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGlIfuWCdK4

Here's a personal favorite, the arrival of the "Super Posse" in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".  I recall the screenplay by Wiliam Goldman called for "the longest travelling shot in history", or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeATCwk5PTQ

Mystarra said:

huh  how do you set iso on a carrara camera.  i wearingthe right hat to be a director smiley

When you add a camera from the top of the 3D view, you can choose conical, isometric, or spherical.  Screen grab attached.

Carrara Isometric Camera.jpg
    833 x 270 - 66K
    Mystarra said:

You can also change the type of camera in the General Setting at the right side of the 3D view, Screen Grab attached.

Carrara Isometric Camera 2.jpg
    509 x 734 - 81K