BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►YEAR END EDITION◄◄◄ Theme is ░░░░☼ FROZEN ☼░░░░

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    This is one I did a while back.

The legend on this one is

"you see Son, I told you if we came here we could get a hot meal''

Cheeky title, Pam. :cheese: Those look like polar bears, even though a picture of the two. Hot meal, eh? More like parboiled.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Tried a HDRI render on this at some point, but it just doesn’t suit – sometimes too much detail can become ‘washed out’ (old watercolour term). In the end, went with a limited soft shadow applied.

Had to ‘call it' in the end - a complicated work can overcome you (a little like portraits – not my forte, BTW – where at one point all runs fine, however, a simple stroke can loose it in an instant).

Title: “Cold Heart”.

Jay

Heartbreaking ...

Chohole: Looks like a yummy meal ... LOL

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

@Pam - your ice fisher comes nicely along. Plonker is listed in the dictionary as [Br.] [coll.] and translates to exactly what you said. The monochrome one looks great, too and I like the legend.

@Jamahoney - a very nice idea and nicely done.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Guss, Kerya and Horo.

Chohole, "...hot meal"...hahaa...love it ;)

Jay

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Elvis: nicely done

chohole: It just keeps getting better...LOL... love the seal

Jay: Ok we need the story to go along with your picture.....

This one is called.....Long cold Winter.....and I am calling it done...Trish

Long_Cold_Winter.jpg
    1351 x 674 - 919K
    edited December 1969

@Trish - looks really cool, even cold.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Elvis: nicely done

chohole: It just keeps getting better...LOL... love the seal

Jay: Ok we need the story to go along with your picture.....

This one is called.....Long cold Winter.....and I am calling it done...Trish

you made me cold :-)

edited December 2013

Thank You Horo!! but does it look frozen.....I need frozen....LOL

Thanks bigh!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 2013

"...need the story to go along with your picture"

Thanks bullit...and yes, a story, okay:

The rose was all that mattered to her that day, as she went for her usual walk in the wood. There'd been a heavy fall that previous night, and the snow crunched under her feet as she neared the lakeside cabin. She remembered he'd said that the delicate petals reminded him of her, and that...

SIGH, sorry, bullit, but I just can't go on...it's too devastating...the outcome...sniff, sniff :( But seriously ;) the best story for this would be the one untold and imagined.

Love your own work, too - and yes, that is defintely suitable for the 'Frozen' theme (love the shadows). I'd say it really doesn't matter if others too are having problems with suitability for the theme, as, heck, I had problems with the last Halloween one also. When Sean (the last winner) initially suggested 'Frozen', my thought immediately went in to doing something alien-like; thinking about 'The Thing' (Wikipedia Link) - now a cult film where scientists discover an alien frozen within the Antarctic ice.

So, the options and stories for the theme, I would guess, are countless and entrants shouldn't be too concerned if there work isn't 'frozen-looking' enough. But that's just my opinion.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Agreed. Someone could be frozen with fear or horror, or they could freeze on the verge of doing something, freeze at the some sound behind them, etc etc.

edited December 2013

Jay: good story!! good writing I had a complete picture in my mind

chohole: glad you said all of those other frozen ideas my brain went to snow first thing ...I didn't even think about those others...plonky is a cool word... I like it......I had a plonky day....LOL

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 2013

I am going for the creepy scary frozen.......named "Stay Back"

Stay_Back3.jpg
    1386 x 691 - 632K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Trish: Those two images are super. Nice job.

I've been working on my first entry to add snow, but Bryce must have been on break during this past weekend. No matter what I did, at first, I always received the dreaded (Not Responding) at the top of the window. Grrr... Okay, what if I hid the leaves, maybe that'd work. Nope...Grrr. Maybe lowering the RPP? Ahhh...it finally rendered, but crashed when trying to save. Grrr... This is when I felt sure Pam might have a few ideas, which she did, and following her advice deleted all the unwanted leaves. Gave rendering another go and the scene rendered but still crashed upon saving. So I again lowered the RPP but also lower the MRD and tried again. Rendered okay, and finally saved. The image below is the result of this battle. Thanks for the help Pam.

This one is titled "More Snow" and is my second completed entry.

Snow_Scene_15_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited December 1969

See my previous post to get a glimpse of my battle getting the previous and this image completed.

This image is titled "Frosty Day" and is my third completed scene.

Snow_Scene_13_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    See my previous post to get a glimpse of my battle getting the previous and this image completed.

This image is titled "Frosty Day" and is my third completed scene.

looks like a nice place to go walking

edited December 1969

@Trish - interesting scene. I think the colours are a bit warm, I'd try a colder colour like blue.

@GussNemo - good job. I wonder - have you had memory issues? If such happens again, monitor memory useage with the Task Manager.

edited December 2013

Horo: you are right ...I do think the blue is better.......Ok Horo and Guss both say cold so I am calling this one ready to enter

hellhound3.jpg
    1316 x 656 - 443K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • STKyddSTKydd Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

@ Gussnemo- The frosty image looks great.
    @ Bullitt- Nice image, the blue gives it a cold feel.

edited December 1969

@Trish - brrr.

edited December 1969

@bigh: Thanks.

@Horo: Thank you.
    Until I tried creating a scene using foliage, I can't remember the last time Bryce crashed or gave me the Out of Memory error message. I've had no problems with all the other scenes I've created, even the terrains. Even playing around with something, deleting it, and trying something else without restarting Bryce to clear memory. What I'm wondering is if maybe some other application isn't using memory RAM for temporary storage which lessen the amount Bryce can access. It's just a thought, one I don't know how to test. And I have given thought to running the task manager while running Bryce just to see how much memory it is using.

@Trish: That really does have that cold look to it now.

edited December 1969

Dragonsbain....Horo...and Guss: thank you very much for the input I am calling the blue one done....Trish

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

This one is in honor of the 100th Anniversary of the start of the last voyage of the Karluk (Canadian Arctic Expedition 2013). One the most amazing true adventures - can be read about in William McKinlay's "Last voyage of the Karluk" or Jennifer Niven's "Ice Master"

Rather difficult to get ice patches onto objects over their own texture. Can this be done...? WIll keep trying

Karluk_test4-FN-sml.jpg
    1473 x 910 - 372K
    edited December 1969

@keryna: Great looking image. Ship is really nice.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I like the nearly black and white effect!

edited December 1969

Kerya: really Dramatic that way good render!!!....Trish

edited December 1969

@keryna - great monochrome image. Looks like a photograph made at the time.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As to the ice patches, I tend to duplicate the mesh in question, resize it just the tiniest tad and apply a patchy snow or isce mat with a trans built in to make the patches.

Black and white or red fractals from the old Br5 basic textures make good patchy ice and snow when fed into the trans channel

edited December 1969

last voyage of the Karluk

Lovely work....not too dark, details coming through very nicely.

Jay

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Frozen Cave...

I was trying to figure out how to do a cave scene and found David Brinnens fabulous tutorial!
    A veritable winter wonderland my cave now is!

I am not entirely happy with the ceiling material, and am open to suggestions, I tried a couple of others but they did not turn out very well.

Amy

Cave_Tutorial.png
    1514 x 568 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@Amy: I think that image looks pretty neat. Just glad I'm not there. :-)