FILE TANSFER

dash2128dash2128 Posts: 648
edited December 1969 in New Users

How do I transfer my DAZ files from my old computer to my new computer? ...and get a newly-downloaded Daz 4.5 to display them for use in content?

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,523
    edited December 1969

dash2128 said:
    How do I transfer my DAZ files from my old computer to my new computer? ...and get a newly-downloaded Daz 4.5 to display them for use in content?

Several ways to do it:
    (a) You can copy your "Runtime" over from your old to your new computer. You need to connect via network though.
    Good when you have a lot of content not from DAZ or when your internet connection won't let you download a lot at high speed. Also, the larger Runtime the more interesting this solution becomes.

(b) If you have used DIM or start to use DIM now, you can just download again. Usability depends on your internet connection though.
    If you only have downloads from DAZ or only a few from other sources and you either don't have so much content or a fast non-capped internet, this is the solution to use.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    (a) You can copy your "Runtime" over from your old to your new computer.

No, not the Runtime, the folder above that — the content folder, whether it's actually called "Content" or "My Library" or anything else. The vital thing which some people forget about is the /data/ folder that sits alongside the Runtime folder, this contains all the files for every single bit of a scene's objects that doesn't go into the .daz (old) or .duf (new) scene files. If you forget about this folder, you won't be able to load any of your old scene files.

One other note, some of your plugins will work with just this folder copy, but some will need to be reinstalled on the new machine. Just to be on the safe side, better reinstall all your plugins.

• dash2128dash2128 Posts: 648
    edited November 2013

Thanks, Everyone!

Post edited by dash2128 on