Looking for a gondolier shirt

JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
edited April 2019 in The Commons

You'd think that a shirt like this would be pretty easy to find. It isn't that complicated. But what I've found instead is that unless the artist UV mapped the shirt with horizontal stripes in mind, they are a pain to figure out. Other than an old Michael 4 outfit, I can't find anything with this look to it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gondolier (2).jpg
595 x 630 - 124K
Post edited by JonnyRay on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,897

A UV mapping program of your choice and create and import under surfaces an alternative UV to save as a support asset.

Its actually easier than texturing something, I just shift the islands around in UUW3D on clothing to match the fabric I want, I often do this to line other dresses up with MFD textures as have so many.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited April 2019

Cybertenko has a complete Gondoliers set for M4 at renderosity.under the name Il Gondoliere  Is that the old one you meant?

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited April 2019
    Cybersox said:

Cybertenko has a complete Gondoliers set for M4 at renderosity.under the name Il Gondoliere  Is that the old one you meant?

Yes, that was the one I was referring to. For me, not worth the hassle of getting an M4 outfit to work on modern characters.

A UV mapping program of your choice and create and import under surfaces an alternative UV to save as a support asset.

Its actually easier than texturing something, I just shift the islands around in UUW3D on clothing to match the fabric I want, I often do this to line other dresses up with MFD textures as have so many.

I actually started down that route, but I dislike UV mapping so much it was still a pain. I use UUW3D too. But like sleves on a men's t-shirt are often wedge shaped. So I can't just move them, I have to stretch and alighn them, fixing sizes so that the stripes don't distort, etc.

Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    I dont know if there are any modern shirts suitable for that. If this is just for a single render, it might be easier to whip up something in Hexagon and use dforce to get it to conform.
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

This may not work at all, but maybe try LIE, a decal, or simply adding a striped seemless texture? I used to do the seemless texture thing all the time in Poser and don’t see why it wouldn’t work in DS, assuming there is a separate material zone for the sleeves...

I found a good workaround for this one by using H&C's Prisoner Clothing. Luckily the prisoner number on the shirt is separate and easily hidden.

This may not work at all, but maybe try LIE, a decal, or simply adding a striped seemless texture? I used to do the seemless texture thing all the time in Poser and don’t see why it wouldn’t work in DS, assuming there is a separate material zone for the sleeves...

I did some test renders to show the issues with various shirts I have. From a front view, there are some that are acceptable, but as soon as the person twists, the issue is obvious. Basically invariably there is a seam either on the sides or back where the UV maps don't line up. A seamstress sewing a shirt with horizontal stripes would align the edges of her pattern on the fabric so that the stripes continued from the front to the back. Without re-mapping the objects and taking a lot of time to adjust the edges and sizing of the islands, there end up being obvious artifacts that make horizontal stripes difficult to achieve.

Two alternatives would be to use a 3D painting tool that can paint across seams or to create a texture file where the stripes are curved along the UV lines to make them line up. Neither of which was really in my skillsets.

H&C's Prisoner Clothing ended up working out fine for my image. :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

nice render

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I'm coming a bit late on this, but I was looking for the same thing when your post appeared.  Was hoping to turn it into a short sleeve version, but that's for another day &/or a Marvelous Designer project. He's just a BG character. 

I did take a slightly different slant on things though:

VeniceDramaFrm180.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 650K
    VeniceDramaFrm225.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 770K
    VeniceDramaFrm300.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 868K