the core 8 a loud thing. 3 case fans  2 fans on gpu, cpu fan

hdd noise

never tried liquid cooling, is it easy?

will it make a difference to her noise

any suggestions for taming the noise?

cant sleep with her rendering in my sleep room

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Try ear plugs, it is the cheapest option.
    The best AIO coolers are somewhat less noisy, but I guess if you can't sleep now, a few db's less won't help you.
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Put the computer in a different room, is your best bet.

The GPU can be underclocked and undervolted, try MSI Afterburner, if your cards tools are not good for it. Intel CPUs can be undervolted, try Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility or your mainboard utilities or BIOS. Should also be possible lock down the CPU multiplier to lower frequencies. You can also upgrade the fans, go for the biggest size you can fit, Noctua is a good brand for low noise CPU fans that rival some watercoolers.
    Also your desktop airflow could be bad, meaning high temps and fan noise. Check your temps first with a decent tool like hwinfo or hwmonitor for CPU, mobo, GPU, SSD temps. Then try improvements like -open case door, -switched direction of case fans, -open rear vents and whatever else you can think of.
    SSD prices are crashing, get one of you don't have one yet. Saves a little noise and 5-10w of added heat in the box. Fast booting too.
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks

ssd dont make the clinky noises?

SSD is a like a big memory chip, no noise and 90% less power used.
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have a waer cooler and I think it does help with the noise to a point but does not get rid of all of it. Also not workied about CPU over heating as it sits at about 60C. Vents the heat out the top directly from CPU.

The power supply is the next big heat creator but if properly mounted it will be venting the heat directly out of the case typically through the bottom or the back of the case. This fan runnes continuosly so is always at a fast speed.SSD's are a lot quieter than HDD's and are also using less power therefor less heat. Just think of them as big usb sticks that are permanently attached.

I bought fans that are made to be quiet.  https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_130&item_id=066476 

You should be able to get them elsewhere as they are a good quality company.

Motherboard can control case fans and adjust the speed based on cooling requirements. would have to look at the motherboard manual to figure out where they get pluged in.

Typically most older cases have fan/s at the front to draw air in one at top on back to expel hot air. some also have one or 2 on the side and mine also has a spot for either more fans or a radiator.

Some newer cases have room for to Radiatores one for the CPU and one for Video card. 1 at front and one at top. https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=124278

All working to make things quieter or as previously mentioned place it in a room where you are not sleeping. Mine has about the same volume as a small house/desk fan.

Put the computer in a different room, is your best bet.

thanks.  

that is my interim solution. smiley

the real nice benq monitor is in my sleep room where my xbox is.  want to dual purpose the benq.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    3drendero said:

Unplugging the power cord is even cheaper and easier! ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

I was always wondering about water cooling too. I use a tower case that came equipped with a washable filter for the air intake. Keeping that clean definitely helps keep the fans clean, and clean fans are much quieter. Like chickenman, I also opted for fans that are slower(and larger) and meant to be quiet. To further help keep the interior of my machine cleaner, I actually put my on top of my desk, instead of on the floor. Then I keep a small room fan blowing toward the computer to try and keep dust blowing 'past' the computer instead of falling onto or near it. Since the floor contains more dust than any other part of the house, I try to keep my PC away from it.

I've noticed that as fans get older, they get noisier.

3drendero said:

Unplugging the power cord is even cheaper and easier! ;)

Although renders take much longer! wink

I was always wondering about water cooling too. I use a tower case that came equipped with a washable filter for the air intake. Keeping that clean definitely helps keep the fans clean, and clean fans are much quieter. Like chickenman, I also opted for fans that are slower(and larger) and meant to be quiet. To further help keep the interior of my machine cleaner, I actually put my on top of my desk, instead of on the floor. Then I keep a small room fan blowing toward the computer to try and keep dust blowing 'past' the computer instead of falling onto or near it. Since the floor contains more dust than any other part of the house, I try to keep my PC away from it.

You can also fit noise-dampening rubber grommets to fans and hard drives(they reduce vibrations to the case, which acts as an amplifier), and make sure the case has rubber feet, which will also dampen the sound. Some people go to the extent of building a soundproof box for the PC, filled with accoustic foam. But you've got to be careful there's still adequate ventilation (and my first suggestion of a separate room, is really just a big soundproof box...)

You can also fit noise-dampening rubber grommets to fans and hard drives(they reduce vibrations to the case, which acts as an amplifier), and make sure the case has rubber feet, which will also dampen the sound. Some people go to the extent of building a soundproof box for the PC, filled with accoustic foam. But you've got to be careful there's still adequate ventilation (and my first suggestion of a separate room, is really just a big soundproof box...)

ooo rubber grommets.  my dvd drive vibrates.  is soo loud.

ohh there such a thing as anti vibration gaskets

https://www.quietpcusa.com/Anti-Vibration-Products.aspx

the dream is real i9 10 cores and hertzes