Infinity symbol?

Hi all, anyone know of a 3D prop of the infinity symbol, please? Thanks!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

An 8 sideways? 

• No, too plain... lol! Thanks though...

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

A sideways 8 is what pretty much everyone thinks of. Can you describe what you want more specifically?

• I realise I could take an eight and play with it, morphs etc, but I was hoping for something out of the box in a more elongated shape, possibly not evenly distributed, a bit "smart". But if there isn't one around that's fine. Thanks!

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

I got ya, gimme a couple more minutes

• Fisty said:

Fisty - my hero! Thank you! :) x

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

Here's one made from a font (obj):

https://taosoft.dk/temp/infinity_obj.zip

infinity_obj.png
    750 x 525 - 78K
  • Thanks Taoz, also very nice! :)

I made a morph to make mine more shapely.. gimme a sec to get it updated

Okay, updated

Infinity 3.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 336K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2019

nice!   

now if only I could replace the win10 "Thinking about it" mouse pointer with that cheeky

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Nice work both of you!

Thanks Taoz, also very nice! :)

It is an infinity symbol, but I guess it looks much like an 8 if you rotate it. So yea... :)

• :) x

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

nice!   

now if only I could replace the win10 "Thinking about it" mouse pointer with that cheeky

There might be a way, but need to research it.  Not near my computer but there used to be a way to do custom mouse pointers but not sure if they kept it in 10.

• andya_b341b7c5f5andya_b341b7c5f5 Posts: 694
    edited April 2019

If you aren't too intimidated by Blender, you can make a 3d version of any Unicode symbol (letters, numbers, infinity, vulgar fractions etc. etc.) as follows.  Other modeling applications may offer something similar.  (I am using 2.80 beta.)

1. Open a new Blender scene, delete any default object(s).

2.  In Blender, add a Text object to the scene (Add menu or Shift-A, select Text).  Tab into Edit mode and backspace to remove the default characters 'Text'.  Select the Object Data tab (the icon is a lower case 'a') in the Properties panel (on the right in the default layout).  Open up the Font section.  This will likely show the default 'Bfont'; we need to change this to a Unicode supporting font - I used Arial.

3.  Click on the folder icon next to the Regular font, and browse to the location of your system fonts e.g. C:\Windows\Fonts.  Choose a .ttf file, e.g. arial.ttf and hit the Open Font button (top right).  The name of the font will replace 'Bfont'.  Now use the dropdown icon immediately to the left of the font name to select the same Unicode font for Bold, Italic and Bold Italic, just in case.

4. Open the Character Map (on Windows, there's no doubt an equivalent thing on Mac and Linux) and choose a font that supports Unicode, e.g. Arial.  Find the symbol you want (you can search for it) and use the buttons to select it, then copy it.

5.  With your text object selected and in Edit mode, paste the character you copied from the Character Map.  It should appear to the left of the insertion point.  Tab into Object Mode.

6.  Now you have a lovely flat text object, which is a curve not a 3D object, so the next step is to make it into a 3D object.  First, find the Geometry section of the Object Data tab.  Here you can enter a value for the height/thickness of the object in the Extrude field.  At Blender default size, something about 0.05m is fine.  To round the edges off a bit, you can use the Depth value in the Bevel subsection - say 0.02m - but you may want them sharp.

7.  It's still not a mesh, so with the object selected, go to the Object menu and select Convert to->Mesh from Curve. (Alt-C shortcut works in 2.7x, but not in 2.80.).  Now you have a mesh you can edit if you wish, UV map maybe, and then export in your format of choice for import into Daz Studio..

Of course if you just want basic alphanumeric characters and you aren't picky about the font, you can skip all the font selecting business.

Font.JPG
    1959 x 1035 - 140K
    paste.JPG
    1920 x 1035 - 176K
    mesh.JPG
    1920 x 1035 - 230K
    copyright-daz.JPG
    635 x 788 - 32K
    Post edited by andya_b341b7c5f5 on
    edited April 2019

Miss Bad Wolf, it's all good, thanks.   I would need to render out some frames, then send the frames to GIMP to make an animated GIF/icon-thing file, then is the "can win10 do that" bit.     I was mostly just joking about windows being busy infinitely "Thinking about it", lol.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

Miss Bad Wolf, it's all good, thanks.   I would need to render out some frames, then send the frames to GIMP to make an animated GIF/icon-thing file, then is the "can win10 do that" bit.     I was mostly just joking about windows being busy infinitely "Thinking about it", lol.

Can it be done with Photoshop?

edited April 2019

don't know, I did it for windows 98se on Gimp well over 10 years ago. it's not really a GIF file, it's an .icn or .ico file (I think) for the older OS's.

I do know that win10 won't let you set a different font or different font size or different color for each part of the desktop/taskbar/menu/window/interface/etc. One font and font size to rule them all, and pray the color does not make something impossible to read somewhere.

edited April 2019

If you aren't too intimidated by Blender, you can make a 3d version of any Unicode symbol (letters, numbers, infinity, vulgar fractions etc. etc.) as follows.  Other modeling applications may offer something similar.  (I am using 2.80 beta.)

I did mine the same way, in Hexagon. Just select the "T" for Text on the 3D Primitives tab, and click the viewport. Then a dialog pops up which is pretty straightforward. Then just UV map it using e.g. Planar or Cubic projection, and save as obj or whatever you prefer.

I can see though that I overlooked the Bevel option in the dialog (I originally tried Smoothing but that distorted it). So here's an update if anyone wants smooth edges:

https://taosoft.dk/temp/infinity_smooth_obj.zip

infinity_smooth_obj.png
    596 x 439 - 137K
    Post edited by Taoz on

I created mine in Hexagon as well..  with circle from center (line of points) and then pushing points a lot. Apply thickness when the line is going where it's supposed to. The morph I made in DS with 8 deformers cause they're easier to control than Hex with what I needed to do.

• Oh my days, I have to save this page as a tutorial, lol! THANKS everyone!