General GPU/testing discussion from benchmark thread

Comments

• I suppose another good question would be how much VRAM do you currently have? If you are talking about pooling 2080tis, that has 11gb, and I can build a scene that will use all of that up. I have Bend on the River, too, perhaps I can upload a scene file that uses it. Also, make sure you have the foliage turned on.

Iray has compression settings in the advanced tab. Turning the values up on the minimum and max will force the engine to use the larger size. So you don't need to try and resize all the textures, just choose models that have large textures to start with.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

based on the 8% Windows takes (grrr) and not really getting twice the VRAM from Nvlink, that was why I was targetting ~16gb for a texture

• I'm doing something really wrong. I have Bend on the River, Rivendale and Mighty Oak going, cranked the compression (I think) as suggested. I understand there may be issues w/ reporting tools like HW Monitor with VRAM and all, but ultimately I'm looking for when the GPU dumps everything to the CPU. Am I wrong?

I'll start dumping people in it now.

testing..png
    1913 x 1031 - 2M
  • Whoa. Seeing something interesting/different. Bumped min/max compression to 8192/16384. The GPU started averaging 70%-ish and CPU was kicking in. Added 2nd GPU in and memory on both cards maxed, one GPU went to 0%, 2nd GPU maxed and CPU was minimal.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303

It seems the limit for texture compression is 16384

A 16384x16384 texture should weight 1GB before compression

To fill 11GB you need 11 of these textures to be loaded -> could be done with 1 fully clothed genesis

If I was you, I'd disable NVLink during the scene build up. Just use one GPU to get accurate VRAM monitoring

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Yeah, do this testing with one gpu enabled, because you might have vram pooling working and not even know it. You need to eliminate that variable.
  • AelfinMaegikAelfinMaegik Posts: 47
    edited July 2019

Can anyone explain this? I set the limit to 16384. I set only one GPU to be used. Yet the VRAM shown across cards is pretty low AND both GPUs are going.

Edit: Also, normally the cards (esp the top one) kick out a lot heat, generally running up to 70-80 degrees. Here they are maxed out for several minutes and barely heating up.

testing01.png
    1495 x 1025 - 2M
    Post edited by AelfinMaegik on
  • RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited July 2019

Can anyone explain this? I set the limit to 16384. I set only one GPU to be used. Yet the VRAM shown across cards is pretty low AND both GPUs are going.

Edit: Also, normally the cards (esp the top one) kick out a lot heat, generally running up to 70-80 degrees. Here they are maxed out for several minutes and barely heating up.

Can you post the contents of your log file? Specifically everything after the most recent line that looks like this:

2019-07-28 19:38:19.124 Rendering image

ETA: Also I'd highly suggest switching over to using GPU-Z's Sensors tab for monitoring in an experiement like yours. It has a field called "Bus Interface Load" which will tell you how much data is flowing over the PCI-E bus to each of your cards at any given time (extremely useful for detecting the sort of slower memory pooling @ebergerly described several posts ago.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
    edited July 2019
    Make sure Nvlink is disabled.

Do you mean normally during Daz rendering or during a game? A lot of video games will actually run GPUs hotter than Daz Iray if you run with uncapped frame rates. Neither of my 1080tis will top 70C when rendering. The EVGA comes close at 68, the MSI only barely cracks 60. But playing a game with the frame rate uncapped can cause them to push towards 80 quite easily. That's because not all "100% usage" is the same. The 100% use report is simply showing some part of the GPU is being maxxed out, but it can be any one section, or a combination of sections. Video games actually work a GPU harder than Iray, because videos constantly ask for new data to swap in and out of VRAM. Iray only loads that data once at the start of a render. Because of this, Iray does not run the VRAM as hot as a game will. The heat from the VRAM components makes the card overall hotter than a Daz Iray render.

MSI Afterburner has a tracker that tells you how much VRAM is being used in MB, rather than a percentage.
    Post edited by outrider42 on
  • AelfinMaegikAelfinMaegik Posts: 47
    edited July 2019

had cleared it. here's a run from just a couple minutes ago. same thing occured. except VRAM on both cards never went above 11% (i assume that is due to a fresh daz restart)

Edit: I dislike GPUz. I can't see both cards at the same time

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    Post edited by AelfinMaegik on
    edited July 2019
    RayDAnt said:

Even in the hypothethical case where Iray and Driver version were frozen there's still variance,

Of course there's always going to be a certain base level of underlying variance in the rendering process wehn you're dealing with an unbiased rendering engine (which is what Iray is.) But is that variance going to be enough to throw things off statistically using a given testing methodology? Let's find out.

Here are the 4.12.0.033 Beta render times (in seconds) for 5 completed runs of the benchmarking scene I created rendered on my Titan RTX system, all completed under completely identical testing conditions (1800 iterations, 72f ambient room temp, custom watercooled components, identical daz/iray/driver versions, etc):

Run #1: 231.283s render
    Run #2: 231.370s render
    Run #3: 231.397s render
    Run #4: 231.389s render
    Run #5: 231.368s render

Which gives us the following descriptive statistics for rendering time.
    Min: 231.281s (Run #1)
    Mean: 231.361s (all Runs averaged together)
    Max: 231.397s (Run #3)

And the following descriptive statistics for variance between rendering times.
    Min: 0.002s (Run #2 - Run #5)
    Max: 0.116s (Run #3 - Run #1)

The two most popular thresholds for statisitcal signficance are 5% and 1% of the total. What percentage of 231.281s (the average render time) is 0.116s (the largest variance here observed)? Let's do the math:
    (0.116 / 231.281) * 100 = 0.000501554 or 0.05%

The variance you are talking about here is literally insignificant. At least, it is if you are adhering to the testing/reporting methodology I set up.

No you still don't get it. Prove me that every iteration have the same number of samples

You don't seem to understand what an Iteration is. By definition, an iteration is a single full completion of some sort of cyclical process. In the case of 3D rendering, the process in question is calculating one sample pixel value for each and every pixel location in a scene's framebuffer - ie. the same number of samples as there exist pixels in the final rendered image. So in the case of the benchmarking scene I constructed (which renders out to a 900x900 pixel square) each and every iteration works out to be:

900 * 900 = 810,000 pixels

810,000 samples.

Here if you take the total rendertime as the most stable control value

Render time isn't a control value in the test I constructed. It is the main test value - which is the total opposite of a control value in a designed experiement.

You chose iteration.

Yes, I chose iteration as a control value in my test. Hence why it is a control value in my test.

You don't understand what an unbiased renderer means. It certainly doesn't mean that 100% convergence = infinite rendertime

It means EXACTLY that.

Here is my log on the scene with hairs I posted with 100% convergence. You can have a try

2019-07-28 16:33:30.886 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 100.00% of image converged
    2019-07-28 16:33:30.901 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 03851 iterations after 112.974s.
    2019-07-28 16:33:30.930 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Convergence threshold reached.

And here is the log for 95% convergence

2019-07-26 06:07:48.810 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 95.17% of image converged
    2019-07-26 06:07:48.832 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 02379 iterations after 107.877s.
    2019-07-26 06:07:48.851 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Convergence threshold reached.

Added 6s rendertime to get 100%

Reopen your scene, switch to the "Progressive Render Settings" section and set Render Quality (what controls convergance assessments in Iray - not Rendering Converged Ratio) to the maximum value allowed (currently 10000.) Then set Rendering Converged Ratio to 100% and click Render. Let us know how long it takes.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

You want a surefire way to hammer your vram? Put in a genesis 8 or two, and crank their subdivision up. I had one scene that was wroking working workin, then all of a sudden kept dropping to cpu no matter what. Took me like a hour to figure out that the subd got cranked up to something dumb like 11 lol.

Yeah, subdivision can certain bump it up. Also that HDRI you are using is really old and probably not using much data at all.

And again, try to disable Nvlink if it is being used so that only one card is used for the render.

•  

TheKD said:

You want a surefire way to hammer your vram? Put in a genesis 8 or two, and crank their subdivision up. I had one scene that was wroking working workin, then all of a sudden kept dropping to cpu no matter what. Took me like a hour to figure out that the subd got cranked up to something dumb like 11 lol.

had subd level at 2 and render subd level min at 4 on the render above

Make sure Nvlink is disabled.

Do you mean normally during Daz rendering or during a game? A lot of video games will actually run GPUs hotter than Daz Iray if you run with uncapped frame rates. Neither of my 1080tis will top 70C when rendering. The EVGA comes close at 68, the MSI only barely cracks 60. But playing a game with the frame rate uncapped can cause them to push towards 80 quite easily. That's because not all "100% usage" is the same. The 100% use report is simply showing some part of the GPU is being maxxed out, but it can be any one section, or a combination of sections. Video games actually work a GPU harder than Iray, because videos constantly ask for new data to swap in and out of VRAM. Iray only loads that data once at the start of a render. Because of this, Iray does not run the VRAM as hot as a game will. The heat from the VRAM components makes the card overall hotter than a Daz Iray render.

MSI Afterburner has a tracker that tells you how much VRAM is being used in MB, rather than a percentage.

i have evga's precision x1, sounds similar to afterburner. didn't think of using it, but now that i look at it i see it does do bus and fb, i'll watch that next run

edited July 2019

had cleared it. here's a run from just a couple minutes ago. same thing occured. except VRAM on both cards never went above 11% (i assume that is due to a fresh daz restart)

Well, going by this log you are definitely only using one of your cards with Iray (if the other is also showing activity, it appears to be coming from some other process) and your texture memory usage is only up to 3.8155 GB across the board.

TheKD said:

Totally forgot about SubD. You should absolutely play around with that and see how it affects things as well.

Honestly can't really disagree. However, it shows certain things (like the previously mentioned "Bus Interface Load") which are both extremely useful in this sort of testing and hard to find in other similar tools.So... yeah.

• TheKD said:

well, let me back up a sec! i just went 3/5 respectively and it definitely shunted everything to the CPU ;)

Yeah, the jump from 4 to 5 is massive.

edited July 2019
    RayDAnt said:
    RayDAnt said:

Even in the hypothethical case where Iray and Driver version were frozen there's still variance,

Of course there's always going to be a certain base level of underlying variance in the rendering process wehn you're dealing with an unbiased rendering engine (which is what Iray is.) But is that variance going to be enough to throw things off statistically using a given testing methodology? Let's find out.

Here are the 4.12.0.033 Beta render times (in seconds) for 5 completed runs of the benchmarking scene I created rendered on my Titan RTX system, all completed under completely identical testing conditions (1800 iterations, 72f ambient room temp, custom watercooled components, identical daz/iray/driver versions, etc):

The two most popular thresholds for statisitcal signficance are 5% and 1% of the total. What percentage of 231.281s (the average render time) is 0.116s (the largest variance here observed)? Let's do the math:

The variance you are talking about here is literally insignificant. At least, it is if you are adhering to the testing/reporting methodology I set up.

No you still don't get it. Prove me that every iteration have the same number of samples

You don't seem to understand what an Iteration is. By definition, an iteration is a single full completion of some sort of cyclical process. In the case of 3D rendering, the process in question is calculating one sample pixel value for each and every pixel location in a scene's framebuffer - ie. the same number of samples as there exist pixels in the final rendered image. So in the case of the benchmarking scene I constructed (which renders out to a 900x900 pixel square) each and every iteration works out to be:

810,000 samples.

I do know. Let's go on. If Sample per iteration is constant, whatever hardware and whatever render, why don't renders always converge to the same iteration for a fixed convergence or fixed time?

see timon630's post and any other as well

GTX 1070
    4.11 Total Rendering Time: 4 minutes 21.22 seconds (2400 iterations, 6.852s init, 252.496s render)
    4.11 Total Rendering Time: 4 minutes 28.70 seconds (2385 iterations, 7.715s init, 259.114s render)

4.12 Total Rendering Time: 4 minutes 20.3 seconds (2434 iterations, 6.446s init, 251.043s render)
    4.12 Total Rendering Time: 4 minutes 15.88 seconds (2363 iterations, 6.927s init, 246.595s render)

Personnaly, from this point I don't really need any answer and we could stop discussing the subject because it's going nowhere. And I don't really care what settings you use for your benchmark

I know datas received for each iteration is highly variable (you get way more samples at the beginning of a render than at the end)

The number of iteration and thus render time for render completion is highly luck dependant because you can't predict if you'll get a hit or miss when you shoot a ray

The only way to get something consitent to bench the hardware is to know how many Gigarays/s the hardware is capable of, as well as an other measurement that would be something like shading rate/s

I don't have the Gigaray/s atm (and don't know if I want it) and the question for me is wether your benchmark can be a good enough indication of the shading capability of the hardware

RayDAnt said:

Here if you take the total rendertime as the most stable control value

Render time isn't a control value in the test I constructed. It is the main test value - which is the total opposite of a control value in a designed experiement.

You chose iteration.

Yes, I chose iteration as a control value in my test. Hence why it is a control value in my test.

But still you only showed that total rendertime in your test has little variation (It is not in my tests but well)

RayDAnt said:

You don't understand what an unbiased renderer means. It certainly doesn't mean that 100% convergence = infinite rendertime

It means EXACTLY that.

Here is my log on the scene with hairs I posted with 100% convergence. You can have a try

2019-07-28 16:33:30.886 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 100.00% of image converged
    2019-07-28 16:33:30.901 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 03851 iterations after 112.974s.
    2019-07-28 16:33:30.930 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Convergence threshold reached.

And here is the log for 95% convergence

2019-07-26 06:07:48.810 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 95.17% of image converged
    2019-07-26 06:07:48.832 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 02379 iterations after 107.877s.
    2019-07-26 06:07:48.851 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Convergence threshold reached.

Added 6s rendertime to get 100%

Reopen your scene, switch to the "Progressive Render Settings" section and set Render Quality (what controls convergance assessments in Iray - not Rendering Converged Ratio) to the maximum value allowed (currently 10000.) Then set Rendering Converged Ratio to 100% and click Render. Let us know how long it takes.

So now you're trying to make me do a 10000x longer render by touching a parameter that is not convergence ratio? Rough math would give 333 days which is still finite time

Changing the quality setting will just make rendertime longer but doesn't prove anything since it's not specific to just unbiased renderers. Changing Quality requierement for any renderer biased or unbiased would change the rendertime whatsoever

Quality setting is at least a good way to artificially adapt a benchmark scene to new hardware without changing anything else (we could have done that to the SY scene) but it could give linear results and then not be usefull at all

I showed you Convergence Ratio at 100% is practical. It's all there is to know for the moment

95% convergence ratio can be practical for difficult scenes where you know that there are some place in the rendered picture where it will be difficult to get samples (low light)

A 100% convergence can be used if you know all your pixels will converge at some point if enough rays are shot (well lit scenes)

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited July 2019

You didn't upscale any texture to 16384x16384. That's what your log tells

But you're right in saying that HWInfo's numbers are not logical but there's no way to tell if these numbers are reliable or not

2019-07-28 19:26:37.583 Iray INFO - module:category(IMAGE:IO):   1.0   IMAGE  io   info : Loading image
     "D:\Applications\DAZ3D\Library\Runtime\textures\aeonsoul\holoflow\holoflow\shirt\hf-shirt_Metallic.jpg",
     pixel type "Rgb", 4096x4096x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.

For info, a 4096x4096 texture will only weight 68MB when uncompressed. So you'll need 161 of these to fill 11GB

TheKD said:

That's a good idea if geometry information can be divided to be shared between GPUs. We don't know if that is the case. The only information we have is that textures can be divided

At least subd can be used to fill up the GPU to a certain limit (let's say 10GB) then new geometry and textures must be added.

@AelfinMaegik : All needed informations acn be found in your log :

2019-07-28 19:27:04.693 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry 
    memory consumption: 803.009 MiB (device 1), 0 B (host)

2019-07-28 19:27:15.782 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend stat : Texture 
    memory consumption: 3.8155 GiB for 118 bitmaps (device 1)

2019-07-28 19:27:16.505 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device
     1 (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Allocated 20.3079 MiB for frame buffer
    2019-07-28 19:27:16.516 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 
    1 (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Allocated 862.734 MiB of work space (1022k active samples 

Sidenote : NVLINK is not supported in Iray Interactive

I tested a G8F at SubD 5 and it consumes around 850MB geometry data + around 750 MB texture data.  Sum of both is 1,6GB

So from your scene, you need to add three different character and crank their SubD to 5 to get the memory consumption between 10 and 11 GB

From there you save your scene before trying to add one more different character and render with one GPU to see if it fallbacks to CPU render

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

I remember reading somewhere that it's only materials that are shared across nVLink. Geometry still has to be on all cards.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited July 2019

For those who may be interested in setting up NVLINK with their RTX cards, aside from the info I already posted previously from Puget Systems and Chaos Group (saying you need to first set up SLI mode, then verify NVLINK with the software Puget developed, and also not trust some/many/all of the reporting apps), here's some more info direct from NVIDIA last month on things to consider:

1. It's not possible to mix NVLINK bridges from different GPU generations. Each GPU architecture comes with a specific matching bridge logic. 
    2. Current CUDA 10 drivers allow peer-to-peer access also under Windows 10 (WDDM2), but only when SLI is enabled inside the NVIDIA Control Panel.
    3. Experience shows that this is only available when installing the NVLINK boards to identical PCI-E slots, means both should be x16 electrical, x16 + x8 won't work. They should also be connected to the same CPU. CPUs with only 28 PCI-E lanes for example can't fulfill that.

​I'm not sure the present state of PCI availability, but I assume this last item could be a signficant issue for some.

And of course since this is a CUDA 10 feature it's assumed the correct NVIDIA drivers are installed. And personally, FWIW, I wouldn't trust any of the reporting apps besides Task Manager, for reasons stated previously. And even that I'd be wary of. 

Post edited by ebergerly on

With GPU-Z you can make plots of any or all of the GPU data, even for multiple GPU's, even on the same chart, even for separate renders. 

GPU.JPG
    1911 x 856 - 151K
    edited July 2019
    RayDAnt said:

810,000 samples.

I tend to agree about what an iteration is, but to expand a bit on samples... 

In ray tracing/path tracing you send out a ray for each and every pixel in your image to determine a color for that pixel. In its simplest form you just determine what object the ray hit and look up its material color at that point. For a 1920 x 1080 image that comes out to over 2 million pixels. Initially, you send out one ray at the center of each pixel into the scene, and it bounces all over the scene to determine what final color to use for that pixel, based on effects of scene lights and shadows, etc. 

However, as you can see if you turn the samples down to "1" or something like that, the resulting image looks like garbage, because even a very small pixel still covers a part of an object in the scene that is probably a range of colors. So for example, if "behind" pixel # 1,234,786 in the scene is a flower with a brown stem and bright blue leaf, and the first ray sees the brown stem and colors the pixel brown, it won't reflect the "average" color that pixel should be (ie, mostly bright blue).

So the idea is to, inside each pixel, send out more "sample" rays at random directions/locations inside that pixel and into the scene. And you get a color from each of those "samples", and when you're done making the set number of samples per pixel (I think Studio/Iray defaults to 5,000?) you average them together to get the single, final pixel color for your image. In its simplest form it's just a "for" loop that calculates random rays inside the bounds of the pixel and sends them into the scene, depending on the number of samples you specify. And with 5,000 samples and 2 million pixels, that's 10 BILLION initial rays, and that doesn't even include the bounces. Of course in real renderers there are things like BVH's to greatly optimize all those ray calculations, but that's the general idea. 

Of course, at some point you're wasting time since the change in average sample color for each new sample is negligible, and more samples won't help. So if, in iteration 17, the color obtained in a pixel is RGB = (223, 114, 6), and in iteration 18 it's (223, 115, 6), it's really not changing enough to matter, so why do more samples? And that's the basic idea behind convergence. 

Of course, in a real app like Iray there are many optimizations and software decisions made that might affect whether the software decides it needs another sample for any particular pixel or not. For example, if half the pixels are still changing color significantly between samples, but the rest have negligible changes, why bother sending more rays for the non-changing ones? I've never looked inside the Iray code, so I have no idea what it actually does, but I suppose it's possible they may use some logic to stop sampling those pixels that have converged, and maybe use some of those GPU cores for other pixels?

BTW, I'm guessing that's why there are Min and Max Samples settings, but that may not be true. 

And it also raises the question regarding very high rez images, where each pixel is only "covering" a tiny portion of the scene, and maybe doesn't need many samples to get quick convergence? Just a thought, I haven't really played with it.   

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • AalaAala Posts: 140
    ebergerly said:
    RayDAnt said:

810,000 samples.

I tend to agree about what an iteration is, but to expand a bit on samples... 

In ray tracing/path tracing you send out a ray for each and every pixel in your image to determine a color for that pixel. In its simplest form you just determine what object the ray hit and look up its material color at that point. For a 1920 x 1080 image that comes out to over 2 million pixels. Initially, you send out one ray at the center of each pixel into the scene, and it bounces all over the scene to determine what final color to use for that pixel, based on effects of scene lights and shadows, etc. 

However, as you can see if you turn the samples down to "1" or something like that, the resulting image looks like garbage, because even a very small pixel still covers a part of an object in the scene that is probably a range of colors. So for example, if "behind" pixel # 1,234,786 in the scene is a flower with a brown stem and bright blue leaf, and the first ray sees the brown stem and colors the pixel brown, it won't reflect the "average" color that pixel should be (ie, mostly bright blue).

So the idea is to, inside each pixel, send out more "sample" rays at random directions/locations inside that pixel and into the scene. And you get a color from each of those "samples", and when you're done making the set number of samples per pixel (I think Studio/Iray defaults to 5,000?) you average them together to get the single, final pixel color for your image. In its simplest form it's just a "for" loop that calculates random rays inside the bounds of the pixel and sends them into the scene, depending on the number of samples you specify. And with 5,000 samples and 2 million pixels, that's 10 BILLION initial rays, and that doesn't even include the bounces. Of course in real renderers there are things like BVH's to greatly optimize all those ray calculations, but that's the general idea. 

Of course, at some point you're wasting time since the change in average sample color for each new sample is negligible, and more samples won't help. So if, in iteration 17, the color obtained in a pixel is RGB = (223, 114, 6), and in iteration 18 it's (223, 115, 6), it's really not changing enough to matter, so why do more samples? And that's the basic idea behind convergence. 

Of course, in a real app like Iray there are many optimizations and software decisions made that might affect whether the software decides it needs another sample for any particular pixel or not. For example, if half the pixels are still changing color significantly between samples, but the rest have negligible changes, why bother sending more rays for the non-changing ones? I've never looked inside the Iray code, so I have no idea what it actually does, but I suppose it's possible they may use some logic to stop sampling those pixels that have converged, and maybe use some of those GPU cores for other pixels?

BTW, I'm guessing that's why there are Min and Max Samples settings, but that may not be true. 

And it also raises the question regarding very high rez images, where each pixel is only "covering" a tiny portion of the scene, and maybe doesn't need many samples to get quick convergence? Just a thought, I haven't really played with it.   

That's not the only reason for iterations though, is it? In fact the main reason should be the fact that light rays scatter randomly when they hit particular surfaces, especially rough ones. You could shoot the same traced ray from the camera on the exact same spot on an object and it can bounce in a totally different direction to finding a totally different light source in the end. In fact, this is probably the main source of 'noise' on an image, since for every pixel you need an incredibly large amount of samples for it to average out with neighboring pixels when there is a lot of bouncing going on, usually in confined or dark spaces.

As for your second point, in the latest Iray patch notest we have this:

• Added a Deep Learning based postprocessing method to determine the quality of a partially converged image. See Programmers Manual section 3.11. It optionally outputs a heatmap visualizing convergence in the rendered image.

I'm not exactly sure if this is used in DAZ though.

Aala said:

That's not the only reason for iterations though, is it?

Here is an image from Studio of a render with 1 sample. You can see reflections and shadows and lights that bounced and so on. So even with 1 sample each ray bounced around many times in the image. And that depends on the "Max Path Length" setting. In my case I have it set to -1, which is a lot of bounces. 

As far as what is an iteration? Who knows? In the simple raytracer I wrote last year it iterated across all pixels and all samples. I have no clue what Iray calls an iteration, and I'm not sure it really matters. In software terms you need loops to iterate across 2 million pixels and however many samples you want. And each ray bounces as many times as you tell it to.  

Test2.jpg
    1502 x 950 - 896K
    edited July 2019
    ebergerly said:
    Aala said:

That's not the only reason for iterations though, is it?

Here is an image from Studio of a render with 1 sample. You can see reflections and shadows and lights that bounced and so on. So even with 1 sample each ray bounced around many times in the image. And that depends on the "Max Path Length" setting. In my case I have it set to -1, which is a lot of bounces. 

As far as what is an iteration? Who knows? In the simple raytracer I wrote last year it iterated across all pixels and all samples. I have no clue what Iray calls an iteration, and I'm not sure it really matters. In software terms you need loops to iterate across 2 million pixels and however many samples you want. And each ray bounces as many times as you tell it to.  

Shouldn't a ray bounce as many times as it can until it loses energy? A ray of light can't bounce around forever since some of its energy is absorbed each time it's reflected, especially by dark colors. That's why in a sample image of one iteration like yours should have a ton of dark pixels, since when the rays were shot at some of those pixels, they never found a source of light before losing their energy. And also why there are pixels that are almost pure white even though they've hit relatively dark areas since the rays of those pixels bounced around in exactly the way they needed to in order to hit a source of light directly. 

But ultimately, I think it pretty much shoots a single ray for each pixel randomly per iteration, although in a seeded manner (otherwise you can't really explain why some fireflies always appear on the same spot when the image is rendered over and over again.)

Post edited by Aala on

Aala said:

Shouldn't a ray bounce as many times as it can until it loses energy? A ray of light can't bounce around forever since some of its energy is absorbed each time it's reflected, especially by dark colors.

I don't think the average (or even non-average) raytracer models/simulates light energy.

edited July 2019
    ebergerly said:

Aala said:

Shouldn't a ray bounce as many times as it can until it loses energy? A ray of light can't bounce around forever since some of its energy is absorbed each time it's reflected, especially by dark colors.

I don't think the average (or even non-average) raytracer models/simulates light energy.

Then how come there are dark pixels (0,0,0 pixels) in a single-iteration render?

Post edited by Aala on

Just to be clear BTW, when I'm talking about light rays and energy, I'm not talking about the real-world physics of how light bounces, but rather how the renderer simulates it. When I say 'losing energy', I mean the average rate of absorption for a particular color, not the rate of kinetic energy loss.

Aala said:

Then how come there are dark pixels (0,0,0 pixels) in a single-iteration render?

It's not about energy, it's about material properties and how they're modelled. A ray might randomly hit a material that might cause some or all of the incoming rays to be attenuated or to not reflect (ie, they may bounce into the material, or do subsurface scattering, etc.), depending on how the material is modelled. The material design defines how the ray(s) respond when they hit the surface. 

Apologies, I'm really not seeing what point you're trying to make, so I'll leave it at that. 

edited July 2019
    RayDAnt said:
    RayDAnt said:

810,000 samples.

I do know.

...you know that iterations - by definition - consists of a finite number of pixel value samples in any given scene (that anyone can determine via a very simple math equation?) Then why would you be asking me to prove that to you?

Let's go on. If Sample per iteration is constant, whatever hardware and whatever render, why don't renders always converge to the same iteration for a fixed convergence or fixed time?

Quite simply - because Iray's implementations of both time limit and convergence limit aren't designed to be very accurate in order to avoid negatively impacting overall rendering performance (convergence isn't caculated after each and every iteration during a render because it is a computationally costly thing to do. And time limit only stops Iray from starting additional iterations from being produced at its set point in time - it doesn't interrupt in-progress ones. Thereby leading to a situation where Set render time limit and true render time limit are never actually the same.) If Iray's developers had made different choices about how these factors were calculated, then things would be different. But since that isn't the case..

I know datas received for each iteration is highly variable (you get way more samples at the beginning of a render than at the end)

As we have already established, each and every iteration is always going to be composed of exactly the same number of pixel value samples in a given scene. With that said, no two iterations - even ones from the same scene render - will ever take exactly the same amount of time to render because the amount of time it takes for each and every pixel sample varies based on both scene content at that location and the physical processing characteristics of the processing unit being used to perform that sample's calculation for that iteration (Iray uses a pseudo-random number mechanism to decide which GPU SM/CPU core gets the task of calculating a given pixel's value on each iteration to aid in load balancing - you can read all about it here.) But this doesn't change the fact that each and every iteration on a scene is always made up of the same number of indidual pixel sample values. And therefore a consistent measure of overall scene render progress.

The only way to get something consitent to bench the hardware is

To rely on iterations, since that is the only one of these statistics that is both a form of discrete data and constantly adhered to as a fixed constant by Iray itself.

But still you only showed that total rendertime in your test has little variation

The test I designed has many control values and just the following two test values:

1. Render device(s)
    2. Render time

What I illustrated here about my test is that if you keep all of its control values constant and one of its test values constant (render device) the remaining test value is always the same to within a dozen or so milliseconds. Which means that the test itself is accurate to within a dozen or so milliseconds.

This is how you evaluate the accuracy of a test - keep all values constant except for one, and then take note of any variances across multiple runs. In an absolutely perfect test there will be zero variances. My test demonstrably isn't a perfect test (again, see here.) But it doesn't need to be. All it needs to be is accurate to below one of the more common levels of statistical significance - which it demosntrably is by several orders of magnitude.

So now you're trying to make me do a 10000x longer render by touching a parameter that is not convergence ratio?

Here is Iray's own documentation on what those two controls do:

Float32 progressive_rendering_quality = 1

A convergence estimate for a pixel has to reach a certain threshold before a pixel is considered converged. This attribute is a relative quality factor for this threshold. A higher quality setting asks for better converged pixels, which means a longer rendering time. Render times will change roughly linearly with the given value, so that doubling the quality roughly doubles the render time.

Float32 progressive_rendering_converged_pixel_ratio = 0.95

If the progressive rendering quality is enabled, this attribute specifies a threshold that controls the stopping criterion for progressive rendering. As soon as the ratio of converged pixels of the entire image is above this given threshold, Iray Photoreal returns the final result for forthcoming render requests. Additionally, the render call will return 1 in this case indicating to the application that further render calls will have no more effect. Note that setting this attribute to a value larger than the default of 0.95 can lead to extremely long render times.

Rendering Quality is what determines convergence and not  Rendering Converged Ratio. Rendering Converged Ratio just controls how many pixels (as a percentage) in a scene's framebuffer need to have been determined by the Rendering Quality factor provided to be "finished" in order for the overall scene as a whole to be classified as "finished".

In order to dial in the closest thing possible to true 100% convergence, the values needed would be:

• Render Quality = 1.0840011e+18 (ie. much more than the maximum 10000 DS supports by default)
    • Rendering Converged Ratio = 100%

Which, as anyone still following this particular conversation thread can guess, would take a mighty long time.

This discussion has been closed.