RTX 2080 vs GTX 1080ti

Hello everyone i am building a setup for daz studio rendering for that i am unable to decide between 2080 & 1080ti.

have been looking around but was not able to find the answer as i am new to daz and do not know much please help me decide which gpu should i get.

Comments

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Hi, welcome here! :D

You could take a look at this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53771/iray-starter-scene-post-your-benchmarks#latest

There people post the result of the benchmarks of their PCs.

It's hard to decide between the two, because this RTX technology is not still implemented in Daz Studio, so we don't really know how big this performance gain will be! ^^

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    Have you looked at prices? A 2080 is $700 and a 1080ti is $1,200. I wouldn't even consider a 1080ti, especially since I bought a new one for around $750 last year or so. I'd probably go with the highest 20xx I could afford.
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Depending on the size of the scenes that you render, you may want to get the GTX 1080ti as it has 11GB of VRAM vs the RTX 2080 with 8GB

Also if you are looking at purchasing the 1080 ti new, they are out of production.  Any "new" ones you find are old remaining stock and are being sold at inflated prices.
    Presonaly with a $1200 budget, I would look into getting a used Quadro P5000 with 16GB of VRAM (it will render a little slower than the GTX 1080 ti and ther RTX 2080, but that 16GB of VRAM will win when rendering scenes that do not fit into the 8GB 2080 or 11GB 1080ti VRAM)

edited April 2019

An RTX-2080ti costs the same as a 1080ti and has the same 11GB of VRAM. I can't imagine anyone buying a 1080ti, especially if the RTX cards live up to their hype in the future. 

Also, I don't believe the Quadro P5000 has the Turing/RTX architecture, so I'd imagine that there's good reason to shy away from that card.

Also, keep in mind that if you buy a 16GB VRAM GPU you'll need enough system RAM to support it, and with Studio that means you'll need 2-3 times the GPU VRAM as system RAM (in my experience, closer to 3x). So for a 16GB GPU you'll need something like 48GB of system RAM. My 11GB 1080ti grabs 32GB of system RAM when fully loaded. 

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    ebergerly said:

An RTX-2080ti costs the same as a 1080ti and has the same 11GB of VRAM. I can't imagine anyone buying a 1080ti, especially if the RTX cards live up to their hype in the future. 

Also, I don't believe the Quadro P5000 has the Turing/RTX architecture, so I'd imagine that there's good reason to shy away from that card.

Also, keep in mind that if you buy a 16GB VRAM GPU you'll need enough system RAM to support it, and with Studio that means you'll need 2-3 times the GPU VRAM as system RAM (in my experience, closer to 3x). So for a 16GB GPU you'll need something like 48GB of system RAM. My 11GB 1080ti grabs 32GB of system RAM when fully loaded. 

I wouldn't buy anything based on marketting hype; I'd buy based on what is available and known to be supported now, therefore anything else that occurs that also improves performance is a bonus.

... First decission when deciding on a card is a combination of two factors: what one can afford and what the scene size is for the majority of renders.

If most renders wont fit on the card you can afford, why waste the cash?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    The RTX 2080 ti has 11GB of vram, but also has an NVLink port. This allows you to link two cards together and pool their resources. They will act like a single card with 22GB of vram. (Though at that point you are spending enough to purchase a single Titan RTX with 24GB and has a NVLink port.)
  • ADAD Posts: 396

If I want to use new graphics cards should I have this in double in the PC or is enough 1 graphics card for IRay rendering?

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    AD said:

If I want to use new graphics cards should I have this in double in the PC or is enough 1 graphics card for IRay rendering?

one card is fine, be sure is Nvidia not AMD.

survivor: GT1030 2Gb, 

minimal: GT1060 6Gb,

stable: GTX1080Ti

Useless: RTX Cards

Must Be: Quadro?

• RTX cards are not useless, as long as you are using DS 4.11+ (currently the Public Beta).

Yeah, I'm not sure where "useless" comes from for RTX cards. Right now the 20xx RTX cards are rendering benchmark Iray scenes in about 1/2 the time that their GTX 10XX counterparts do, and also offer a better bang for the buck. And presumably that performance will improve as Iray increases RTX support in the future.

So if Iray rendering speed is important, I think it's a pretty clear choice for the RTX cards, as well as the expectation of ongoing support/improvements which probably won't happen with the GTX Pascal cards.

Even pricewise, you can get an RTX 2060 for around $370, which seems pretty reasonable for a card which renders Iray in about 1/2 the time of the most popular GPU on the planet right now, the GTX-1060.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Americans are very spoiled with graphics cards prices lol. Almost double the price up here in canada for anything electronics, and no, I don't make twice up here than I made in the states, I actually make less. I own a house though, and property taxes up here is less per year, than it was per month in NY, so I am doubtful I will ever make it back to the US lol.

TheKD said:

Americans are very spoiled with graphics cards prices lol. Almost double the price up here in canada for anything electronics, and no, I don't make twice up here than I made in the states, I actually make less. I own a house though, and property taxes up here is less per year, than it was per month in NY, so I am doubtful I will ever make it back to the US lol.

Seriously?? But can't you order from one of the US online places like Newegg and have it delivered? 

Yeah, but CAD to USD won't really save a whole lot. Or at least it didn't when I grabbed my 1070, I thought I was saving a lot until I looked at conversion and s+h cost + paying taxes on import(hit or miss on wether customs nails you on that, unless the vendor is willing to mark it as a gift).

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    TheKD said:

Ok, I'll plan a round trip. I'll bring a bunch of video cards up north and bring some affordable medication back south with me. Are the border guards gonna search me?surprise

• twitchewtwitchew Posts: 123

this may be tangential to the topic but i need some help with a GTX 2080 that i purchased.

my CASE is like 3/4 of an inch too small to accomodate this thing!
    coudl anyone just tell me what cases / power supplies they are using i would be most appreciative. (i have an asius machine that has been doing great, right up until i needed to put in a full sized pci card and needed pci-e 8 pin power.

I like to go full tower myself, I have "manhands" and it makes it easier to get in and work, as well as being large enough to accomodate just about anything you want to install. Modular gold or platinum rated PSU is the ones I like the best(modular means you can plug in the cords you need, and don't have to worry about having unused cables taking up space).

• ADAD Posts: 396

Is the RTX 2080 Ti with NVLink now supported or not? What are the limitations of this card with DAZ Studio? I will have a new PC (AMD) assembled and I would like to install the newest equipment.

• 20x0 cards are supported in the 4.11.x.x Public Builds, the 4.10.0.123 release build does not support them.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

Hello everyone i am building a setup for daz studio rendering for that i am unable to decide between 2080 & 1080ti.

have been looking around but was not able to find the answer as i am new to daz and do not know much please help me decide which gpu should i get.

I'm a big fan of the 1080Ti.  I have three of them.  Bought them all on Ebay, and I didn't spend more than 800 on any of them.  They're EVGA cards, which have a 3 year warranty from the date of purchase even if they're used.  The 2080 Ti is much more costly new, and as Daz doesn't use raytracing, I don't think the added cost is worth it.  My opinion.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

I don't care about break neck speed!!! I just need more vram so everything fits without resorting to cutting down textures and polys. That why unless 2080 rtx series cards get more than 12gb of vram I will not even consider.

• boisselazonboisselazon Posts: 458

I don't care about break neck speed!!! I just need more vram so everything fits without resorting to cutting down textures and polys. That why unless 2080 rtx series cards get more than 12gb of vram I will not even consider.

NVlink is supposed to add the memory of each card in a merged pool of memory: so, 2*2080ti 11GB should give 22GB...

That is what the marketing department sold us...

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

NVlink is supposed to add the memory of each card in a merged pool of memory: so, 2*2080ti 11GB should give 22GB...

That is what the marketing department sold us...

thats if, and only if, the software is written to support that feature. It doesn’t happen automagically  

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/NVLink-on-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-2080-Ti-in-Windows-10-1253/

Of course, since iRay is an Nvidia product, you’d HOPE they’d build that in  unless they get devious and only turn it on for their pro series cards and not the consumer series...