Installing ZIP Files for DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4 Tutorial

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Helping Users have Fun and Enjoy 3D is what it's all about for me. Enjoy yourself and happy Rendering.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Jachiel said:
    I'm not able to unzip The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. With other products I unzipped, I had to rename the unzipped file (adding .zip) and unzip a second time; then it worked and I saw folders. But renaming the file with this product doesn't work. I tried .zip, .rar and .exe, but they all fail. It gives only files like SKDonkey.dmc, but without extension (so Windows asks with what program to open it). Anyone knowing how I should rename it? I use Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

Files with the *.dmc extension are for use with the Mimic plugin. I thnk those are the sound files. I'm just starting to animate, so I don't know if they will work with any of the other animation apps or not.

• edited December 1969

Ok I am doing well just wondering about the V4 ++ morphs a lot of my past characters need them I have tried to install them the way you said above but they do not seem to show?
    if they are in the were do I assess them to add some of my other characters
    do I have to have the original normal V4 installed to use or will my older characters work on the genesis?
    sorry it is all a bit confusing ...what will work and what will not :(

I really appreciate the support you are giving me
    virtual hug coming your way XX

Love Janice

• edited December 1969

Also there is a model I love to use but is not Genesis can you put requests in for them to be or does it have to be the owner of the character that has to do it
    I know you have Mavka as a genesis but wondering if Cookie would?

• edited December 1969

Ok I am doing well just wondering about the V4 ++ morphs a lot of my past characters need them I have tried to install them the way you said above but they do not seem to show?
    do I have to have the original normal V4 installed to use or will my older characters work on the genesis?

Love Janice

edited December 1969

Love Janice

You can not use V4 Morphs on the Genesis Figure without using the GenX transfer utility to transfer the morphs from a V4 to the New Genesis figure. The good news is all your old content will still work 100% (mostly) in DS4.5. You just need to add your content folders to the DS4.5 Prefs so it reads the folders. I use all my DS3 Content in DS4.5.
  • edited December 1969

Hi Jaderail

so all I have to do is purchase and add this product
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x
    and I can then use all characters that ask for A4/V4++ morphs?

I have this products
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis
    so am I reading it right that if I have this I can just get the upgrade?
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x-upgrade-from-gen4

some of my old characters need A4 and G4 morphs so how do I get them to work?
    I have purchased this but I am asuming it will not be the same?
    http://www.daz3d.com/gen-4-iconic-shapes-for-genesis

for example here is a character
    A4, V4.2 Morphs++
    or V4+++ with morphs for A4 and G4

Sorry for all the questions I am so frightened of spending more money than I need :)

Love Janice

edited December 1969

Hi Jaderail

so all I have to do is purchase and add this product
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x
    and I can then use all characters that ask for A4/V4++ morphs?

I have this products
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis
    so am I reading it right that if I have this I can just get the upgrade?
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x-upgrade-from-gen4

some of my old characters need A4 and G4 morphs so how do I get them to work?
    I have purchased this but I am asuming it will not be the same?
    http://www.daz3d.com/gen-4-iconic-shapes-for-genesis

for example here is a character
    A4, V4.2 Morphs++
    or V4+++ with morphs for A4 and G4

Sorry for all the questions I am so frightened of spending more money than I need :)

Love Janice

Okay First NO to get the GenX upgrade you need to have Bought the Gen4 Plugin from Renderosity.com the GenX upgrade only works to make the Gen4 Version of the Plugin updated to the Full GenX Plugin. You would need to buy the Full GenX plugin from Daz3D.

I use only the Gen4 Iconic Shapes and the Legacy Morphs for Genesis. Those two sets will let you Build almost every old character you ever had. Of course you will have to build them by hand again.
  • edited December 1969

oh ok thanks

"I use only the Gen4 Iconic Shapes and the Legacy Morphs for Genesis. Those two sets will let you Build almost every old character you ever had. Of course you will have to build them by hand again."

So if I had the Full GenX plugin from Daz3D
    I would still not get this character to automatically pick up the morphs from the product ?
    is that right?
    she uses Victoria 4.2 Morphs ++ Aiko 4
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/frad-bambi/66080

if so can I just load them in all the original models and morphs like I have in my poser 8 and use them in the original way and not use the genesis for them?

Big hugs Janice

edited January 2013

No it is not Automatic, You will need to learn how to use GenX to transfer the Morphs from the A4 Morphed figure to the Genesis Figure. That is why I just create my old figures by hand again. No extra Plugins needed and when I'm done I have a full 100% Genesis only figure that I made myself. Here is my M4 Jade character.... and my Hand made Genesis version of Jade... I have much better control and options using only the genesis stuff.

ETreme_Jade_Sm.png
    500 x 500 - 375K
    !01-Tired.png
    790 x 790 - 792K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited January 2013

Wow he is fantastic!

Ok thank so much you have saved me money and helped me so much <3</p>

Love Janice

Post edited by sdelights_6d767c7df5 on
  • shawn.e.osteenshawn.e.osteen Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I just got and downloaded DAZ Studio Pro 4.5 from this site earlier today. Every time I try to click the DAZStudio_4.5.1.56_Win64.exe file to install the program, I get an error message that says "Installer payload initialization failed. This is likely due to an incomplete or corrupt download file." I have redownloaded the file 4 times and keep getting the same message. HELP!! Am I doing something wrong, or is there another place I can download the file from?

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn

edited December 1969

Daz 3D did go down a bit, but I'm thinking you Need to Clean you Cache. If a DL fails and you do not clean your Browser Cache your next DL will just Fail at the Same place. The Browser is thinking its a FULL down load and stops. Reset you Download after you clear your Browser Cache and try again.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited February 2013

thanks for this. I read your instructions (Jaderail) on the old DAZ forum, and you recommend unzipping first to a holding directory, then copy/merge to the runtime. But I usually unzip direct to the runtime directory and provided the unzip program has the "merge directories" option ticked, it should be ok, right?

I think the issue is that installed content only has Runtime as the top level directory. Underneath that are directories like Textures, Props etc. If "merge" isn't on, then each install will just create a new set of subfolders within Runtime and may even over write existing content. Is that right?

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Yes you are correct, merge must be on or you can and will lose content that already was installed.

• broncomechbroncomech Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

thanks for this. I read your instructions (Jaderail) on the old DAZ forum, and you recommend unzipping first to a holding directory, then copy/merge to the runtime.

Link to the instructions mentioned would be appreciated, I have hundreds of older DAZ figures and content archived that I would like to install in DS 4.5

Post edited by broncomech on
    edited December 1969

That was an older Tut and All Graphic, But if you tell me your OS and your Content Folder I'll gladly do a Short Tut for you.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail,
    I am running win7 Ultimate 64 bit and my DS install is C:/ProgramFiles/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/Content
    Not sure if the content folder was there to start or created by me attempting to install V4. There are the following folders in the Content folder; ReadMe's & Runtime, all the folders in the Runtime look like the old Poser file structure (Geometries, Libraries, textures) and all contain files that belong with blMilWoman_v4b

edited December 1969

Ah well yes I see a problem right off, In Win7 you can not Have Content in the Programs folder. Win7 protects that area of the drive from all but install writes. You should have a Daz 3D folder in My Documents this is the full path.
    C:Users/(Your Name)/Documents/Daz3D/Studio/My Library when Installing content with an EXE installer you need to point it to that path. The older installers have not been up dated and Point to the old content path. You should Delete that Folder and Re-Install to the My Library folder.

I now know how to help you with Zip files as well. I'll do you a tut tomorrow I'm not able to tonight because I have a early Appointment in the morning.

edited December 1969

You are awesome !!!
    I hope you get some compensation from DAZ for being so helpful on this forum.

edited December 1969

You are awesome !!!
    I hope you get some compensation from DAZ for being so helpful on this forum.
    LOL! I am an Daz3D Community Volunteer and helping is what they ask us to do. Besides I want everyone to enjoy 3D as much as I do so I help as I can.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    . You should have a Daz 3D folder in My Documents this is the full path.
    C:Users/(Your Name)/Documents/Daz3D/Studio/My Library when Installing content with an EXE installer you need to point it to that path. The older installers have not been up dated and Point to the old content path. You should Delete that Folder and Re-Install to the My Library folder.

I now know how to help you with Zip files as well. I'll do you a tut tomorrow I'm not able to tonight because I have a early Appointment in the morning.

I am starting to remember why I gave up on DS a couple of years back..... now my head hurts all over again:P
    I followed your instructions but I can't get V4 to load and now the stock Genesis figure will not display properly, just get a stack of boxes piled up in a human shape.
    Would I be better off uninstalling this mess and starting over with a custom install in a non protected location like D:/Daz

edited December 1969

I'm sorry I'm still writing a tut for you but your Genesis thing is you have accidentally changed your settings in the Viewport. Look here and that will fix you right up. As for V4 Open the Content Library Tab and look in Poser Formats>My Library>Figures>Daz People that will hold your V4 figure. Look in Daz Studio Formats>My Library>People> and you will find most of the other content. V4 is an older model and Should be found there. Here is your Fix for the Boxes.

Help-Image1.png
    357 x 385 - 28K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail,
    I managed to get some things installed but had to put them in C:/Users/public/Documents/My Daz3D Library/Studio/My Library
    I followed your instructions and the folder under my user account does not load anything, the folders are created but the contents are not???? gotta be a Winblows issue

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail,
    I managed to get some things installed but had to put them in C:/Users/public/Documents/My Daz3D Library/Studio/My Library
    I followed your instructions and the folder under my user account does not load anything, the folders are created but the contents are not???? gotta be a Winblows issue

C:/Users/public/Documents/My Daz3D Library/Studio/My Library
    That's not a standard path -- are you sure that's where the files are being installed and that's where DS is looking for them?

edited December 1969

I'm with Mike I do not believe your content folders are set up properly. I also doubt if your Content Paths in DS4.5 are set up properly.
    Could you go to Content Directory Manager and Expand your folders and post a screen shot? Here is mine on my Win7 .

Help-Image1.png
    469 x 224 - 23K
    edited December 1969

Ok after a bit of searching I found the content manager, here is the mess I have created, you will likely be able to explain how to fix the error in the second screen shot by looking at the first.
    G:/ is an external drive that I had backed up some files from my last attempt to use DS.

Daz1.jpg
    930 x 474 - 186K
    Daz2.jpg
    476 x 463 - 94K
    edited March 2013

This should help. And yep it's a bit of a mess. I'm very tired, so if you need more info on this please ask.

In #4 by top listed I mean listed as BOTH the top in Daz Studio Formats and as Poser Formats. All folders that have any Daz Studio only content need to be listed in both.

Image1.png
    800 x 670 - 325K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I uninstalled everything, deleted all the folders that were not where they belonged, reinstalled DS in its default location.
    Next I downloaded and installed DIM then downloaded a couple of the ready for download files and installed them......well guess where they end up c:/users/public/documents..... all over again. I found a tutorial on using DIM and it states you can change the install location but that option only allows me to confirm the files are going in the wrong place, the entry is greyed out and I can not access it to put the proper location in.
    is there a way from inside DS to migrate these files to the proper location or does this require the old cut and paste drill that inevitably goes wrong some where mid stream?

edited December 1969

The C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library is the Correct path.
    you had one with extra folders Mine is in that path and only in that path. It is also the only path I have Mapped.

Help-Image1.png
    469 x 224 - 23K