How to apply dForce to a plane to turn it into a blanket?

LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
edited April 2019 in New Users

Hi everyone! :D

Does somebody know how to apply dForce to any item and simulate its fall?

For example if I wanted to create a blanket and let it cover the sleeping character?

Thank you! :D

This is what I've done: select object->edit->geometry->apply dForce settings dynamic something->simulate

But the simulation fails and here is the log:

2019-04-08 15:39:07.442 Found 260 unused vert(s) on the geometry of node "Hanger 2". Removing unused vert(s) from sim.
2019-04-08 15:39:07.458 Found 9 unused vert(s) on the geometry of node "Utensil 2". Removing unused vert(s) from sim.
2019-04-08 15:39:07.458 Found 464 unused vert(s) on the geometry of node "Hanger 3". Removing unused vert(s) from sim.
2019-04-08 15:39:14.314 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(32): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_MAP_BUFFER on GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (Device 0).

2019-04-08 15:39:14.314 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2301): ERROR: clEnqueueMapBuffer (-4)
2019-04-08 15:39:14.424 Total Simulation Time: 6.98 seconds

Post edited by LenioTG on

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

All you need to know (and much more!) - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more-commercial/p1

It's a great thread full of useful ideas and there are pdf tutorial files of most of the information that you can download.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    MelanieL said:

All you need to know (and much more!) - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more-commercial/p1

It's a great thread full of useful ideas and there are pdf tutorial files of most of the information that you can download.

Thank you MelanieL! :D

That's a great guide, I'm reading it!

But I'm having problems with the first part! I'm trying to make a napkin crinkle on the ground, but after applying the dForce modifier it stays still! :(

Do you mean that it just hangs in the air?  Is it a prop from the store or just a primitive?

I'm not that great with dForce myself (except maybe clothing) but it should be possible to crinkle your napkin.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited April 2019
    kameneko said:
    MelanieL said:

Thank you MelanieL! :D

That's a great guide, I'm reading it!

But I'm having problems with the first part! I'm trying to make a napkin crinkle on the ground, but after applying the dForce modifier it stays still! :(

Are you starting with it on the ground? dForce is an animated process - raise it up 6 inches or so and let it drop.

ETA - looks like a memory issue - you may need to intall the Intel openCL code and do the sim on the CPU; Link near the top here.

Post edited by namffuak on
    MelanieL said:

Do you mean that it just hangs in the air?  Is it a prop from the store or just a primitive?

I'm not that great with dForce myself (except maybe clothing) but it should be possible to crinkle your napkin.

Yes, it hangs in the air!

I've tried both with a prop and with a primitive. The prop stays still, the primitive doesn't crinkle at all, it looks like a big piece of PVC, even if I increase the gravity.

namffuak said:

Are you starting with it on the ground? dForce is an animated process - raise it up 6 inches or so and let it drop.

ETA - looks like a memory issue - you may need to intall the Intel openCL code and do the sim on the CPU; Link near the top here.

I've fixed that problem restarting Daz! But now the simulation doesn't go anywhere (it stays still in the air), and I'm not starting from the ground!

edited April 2019

OK, so with the primitive. You said you did this: This is what I've done: select object->edit->geometry->apply dForce settings dynamic something->simulate

Just to check, you mean that you selected the object then edit->geometry-> Apply dForce Modifier Dynamic Surface ?
    Then you go to the Simulation Settings tab and click on "Simulate" ?

First question: when you press "simulate" is the pop-up progress window coming up? Any odd messages in it? Also are you setting "Frames to Simulate" to current frame or an animation (not that it matters much for a simple primitive drop)?

Next question: assuming your primitive is a plane, how many divisions does your plane have and are you rotating it a bit on the x- or z-axis (otherwise it won't crinkle much)?
    I don't get much crinkle effect (although it does drop to the floor) with 10 divisions, but it works well with 100 divisions and and angle of 20 degrees or more from flat.

Finally, which prop were you trying? Maybe I have the product in which case I could test that.

ETA: Oh and which version of DAZ Studio are you using? I'm on the DS 4.11.0.236 Beta, and I don't think it should matter as long as you are on 4.10 or higher, but it might be of interest.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:

OK, so with the primitive. You said you did this: This is what I've done: select object->edit->geometry->apply dForce settings dynamic something->simulate

Just to check, you mean that you selected the object then edit->geometry-> Apply dForce Modifier Dynamic Surface ?

First question: when you press "simulate" is the pop-up progress window coming up? Any odd messages in it? Also are you setting "Frames to Simulate" to current frame or an animation (not that it matters much for a simple primitive drop)?

Next question: assuming your primitive is a plane, how many divisions does your plane have and are you rotating it a bit on the x- or z-axis (otherwise it won't crinkle much)?
    I don't get much crinkle effect (although it does drop to the floor) with 10 divisions, but it works well with 100 divisions and and angle of 20 degrees or more from flat.

Finally, which prop were you trying? Maybe I have the product in which case I could test that.

ETA: Oh and which version of DAZ Studio are you using? I'm on the DS 4.11.0.236 Beta, and I don't think it should matter as long as you are on 4.10 or higher, but it might be of interest.

You say you don't know much about dForce, but I think you do! :D

Yes, that's what I've done!

Regarding the settings, I've left them all as default! The window are normally showing up now.

Actually I'm just trying to learn dForce, it doesn't matter what I apply it too! :D The plane was just raised from the ground, no other movements or rotations!

I'm using the Public Build.

I'd like to read the guide, and I sure will, but it's so long! xD

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    kameneko said:
    MelanieL said:

Yes, it hangs in the air!

I've tried both with a prop and with a primitive. The prop stays still, the primitive doesn't crinkle at all, it looks like a big piece of PVC, even if I increase the gravity.

namffuak said:

I've fixed that problem restarting Daz! But now the simulation doesn't go anywhere (it stays still in the air), and I'm not starting from the ground!

You have the dForce magnets installed? Someone had the same problem with gravity not working, can't find the thread now, but that person had the magnets, I suggested he or she should try uninstalling them, but don't recall getting an answer.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    kameneko said:
    MelanieL said:

Regarding the settings, I've left them all as default! The window are normally showing up now.

Actually I'm just trying to learn dForce, it doesn't matter what I apply it too! :D The plane was just raised from the ground, no other movements or rotations!

I use the index at the beginning of the thread and choose which topics I need to read. I right-click and open each in a new window, and then read them in order. (I might open 2-4.) Rich has so much information in that thread I find it overwhelming, and I like to think I've got a good handle on dForce!

But first, have you run the sample scenes that come with the dForce Essentials? If not, you might find it helpful to start there. One of the sample scenes is even simulating a plane primitive.
    smiley

L'Adair said:
    kameneko said:
    MelanieL said:

I use the index at the beginning of the thread and choose which topics I need to read. I right-click and open each in a new window, and then read them in order. (I might open 2-4.) Rich has so much information in that thread I find it overwhelming, and I like to think I've got a good handle on dForce!

But first, have you run the sample scenes that come with the dForce Essentials? If not, you might find it helpful to start there. One of the sample scenes is even simulating a plane primitive.
    smiley

Great idea on the sample scenes (I'd forgotten they existed!) If you can get one of those sample dForce simulations to work then at least we would be sure you've not got a fundamental hardware or software problem.

You have the dForce magnets installed? Someone had the same problem with gravity not working, can't find the thread now, but that person had the magnets, I suggested he or she should try uninstalling them, but don't recall getting an answer.

No I've not bought them, thanks anyway! :D

L'Adair said:
    kameneko said:

smiley

Nice idea, thanks! :D
    Since I know nothing about dForce, my project is to give a good complete read to his guide sooner or later!

I hadn't even noticed I had it installed, I'm gonna try those scenes right now, thanks :D

MelanieL said:
    L'Adair said:

smiley

Great idea on the sample scenes (I'd forgotten they existed!) If you can get one of those sample dForce simulations to work then at least we would be sure you've not got a fundamental hardware or software problem.

The sample scene works!! :D

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited May 2019

@LenioTG Something I did a while back. Don't know if there is any useful info there.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3337916/#Comment_3337916

Post edited by Rakuda on