Why NO sticky to the DOC WIKI for the NEW USERS?

JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in New Users

Does DAZ3D not think a link in the New Users Forum to the Documentation for the program would be useful to the people that need it the most?

I see it in the Commons. THIS is the Forum that really needs a link if you ask me. Sure it should be in the Commons, but why send the new users to another Forum if they could find the information most useful to a new user in the place designed for them?

Just wondering.

Anyone else think that is a big oversight?

EDIT: Here it is for now. http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/start

Post edited by Jaderail on

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

I agree completely... and also maybe the links to DS tutorials and Videos that are stickied over in the Daz Discussion Forum.

Another thing I noticed recently is the basic User Guide that comes installed in DS4. It's nowhere near as informative as the one that came with DS3. That one got me going within the first hour after starting in DS3. And I was a complete and total 3D newb at that point.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree, the short of it is, with all the plugins included and the new menus DS4 needs a new Doc file from start to end. They are working on it but it is not coming fast enough in my opinion. Each new part in the Wiki Doc's is a new part of the total.

• VolcanicMinkVolcanicMink Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Agree! I thought I was missing the door here or something. I was pleased to find this forum since other forums tend to be geared to experienced 'puter artists, and asking the basic questions is often intimidating. Once I saw that other people were having similar issues, I didn't feel quite as hopeless!

Thank you for stepping up for the "little guys" and getting this out there.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

I would have asked this earlier but I never noticed until it clicked that I had to hunt it to answer a question. I have some experience with DAZ so I knew where to look for the link. Never noticed the people that need it the most have to hunt it until then. I'm sure they (the Forum Designers) also just did not think of it because they were also used to doing it (providing help or finding it) the old way. It should be here as well as all of the other Tutorial links.

Step Up DAZ, give the New Users all the links for easy access.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
    edited July 2012

Jaderail,
    Man, thank you for posting this. Like ohers here, I thought it was just me. I came into the DAZ world back in September of last year, so I started with DAZ Studio 4. Being a professional photographer, that was right at the beginning of my busy holiday season, so I only had minimal chance to really play with it. But even with that short intro-period, I saw the potential, and paid the multi-hundred dollar pricing for the upgrade to the Pro version. I was fairly shocked at lack of documentation for the software. And more shocked, when only a few months later they started offering their $400 software for free, without offering credits to those of us who had recently purchased it. (OK, still a little bitter on that one. lol!)
    But man, thank god, for the DAZ community here. This is one of the friendliest, and most willing to help, forums I've ever used. and are quite frankly the only reason I've made any progress into this new 3D world.
    And to that point, reeeeeeaallly disappointed they killed off all that information that was stored in the old forum, when they did their site re-vamp. I would ask a question at that time, and guys would reply with a column of links with threads discussing every aspect of any problem that was encountered. It was like guys had this huge community database. Then sunddenly, it all went away. I lost probably 15 or 20 bookmarks from that.
    As to the lack of extensive official documentation, I kind of took it with a grain of salt, and just figured maybe all software support, doesn't rival that of the other main ones I deal with, Apple and Adobe. To be fair, I've been using both of those for so many years now, that I rarely need support. Heck, there, I am the support. lol! And again, to be fair, Apple consistently has the highest rated customer support of any company, anywhere. So that is a high bar for DAZ to be comparing to.
    Look, I truly can't say enough about how impressed I am with the DAZ products. DAZ has single handily brought me, and I'm sure many other newbies here into this new 3D world. On the surface, it's super easy to get up and running and play around with. But when it comes time to get serious about creating a beautiful finished render, like seen here from the other DAZ users, then things need a lot more explanation. You got know, that this 3D world, is truly its own little world, and even the most basic terminology here is mostly foreign to those new to it.
    So, could we request here.
    1: Full-blown official documentation. Including a Glossery of terms.
    2: Somehow link the new forum, to the old one, with all the sample images, etc. that we're posted there. (Assuming its not all gone). Your forum members had done a LOT of the work for you in helping to train the community. Bring back that data base. It was like gold.

And do know that I say all this, as I stand from my chair, and declare, "my name is Sol, and I am a DAZaholic!" :)

Post edited by solarview on
  • solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
    edited July 2012

Jaderail said:
    Does DAZ3D not think a link in the New Users Forum to the Documentation for the program would be useful to the people that need it the most?

I see it in the Commons. THIS is the Forum that really needs a link if you ask me. Sure it should be in the Commons, but why send the new users to another Forum if they could find the information most useful to a new user in the place designed for them?

Just wondering.

Anyone else think that is a big oversight?

EDIT: Here it is for now. http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/start

One more thing, DAZ, could you please make the videos in this wiki iPad friendly? (non-Flash)

Post edited by solarview on