Tire Tread Problem

JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
edited March 2019 in Hexagon Discussion

I found a great tire tread that I really like for my 1968 Dodge Charger project.

So far I'm working on the cross section and am running into some major hassles with the center 1/3 of the tread. I've tried slicing it several different ways, but I keep ending up with a mess of a topology. I can't figure out the best approach with the curves and points the tread has. I know I could select something different, but part of the goal of this project was to challenge myself to model things that are difficult. I'm stumped though and would love to hear any suggestions on where to go next. Some closeups of the problem section are below.

FirestoneFirehawkIndy500.png
340 x 727 - 163K
TireTreadProblem01.png
1649 x 871 - 413K
TireTreadProblem02.png
1649 x 871 - 442K
Post edited by JonnyRay on

Comments

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    JonnyRay said:

I found a great tire tread that I really like for my 1968 Dodge Charger project.

So far I'm working on the cross section and am running into some major hassles with the center 1/3 of the tread. I've tried slicing it several different ways, but I keep ending up with a mess of a topology. I can't figure out the best approach with the curves and points the tread has. I know I could select something different, but part of the goal of this project was to challenge myself to model things that are difficult. I'm stumped though and would love to hear any suggestions on where to go next. Some closeups of the problem section are below.

Gotta say youve taken quite the project on. i fiddled about a hour and half with your tread design, pretty much did that tut i posted in hex gallery

010.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 259K
    011.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 249K
    012.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 223K
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited March 2019
    JonnyRay said:

So far I'm working on the cross section and am running into some major hassles with the center 1/3 of the tread. I've tried slicing it several different ways, but I keep ending up with a mess of a topology.

I would break the tread into 3 separate rings, and work on each one using its own method. Rather than trying to model it as one whole piece. Then mirror copy those rings to the other side of the tire.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
    JonnyRay said:

JonnyRay said:

So far I'm working on the cross section and am running into some major hassles with the center 1/3 of the tread. I've tried slicing it several different ways, but I keep ending up with a mess of a topology.

I would break the tread into 3 separate rings, and work on each one using its own method. Rather than trying to model it as one whole piece. Then mirror copy those rings to the other side of the tire.

thats not a bad idea, i used lines to extrude then extrude multiple sections. trying to cut by tessellate is time consuming. once i had a quick mesh made i used copy on support to a circle line with 42 points and loop selected edges and bridged them. I also tried a method i seen used with hex and illustrator using the live trace tool but it proved to be too messy while automating but might be possible if the lines are drawn/traced manually in illustrator.
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited March 2019

Thanks for the help and ideas you guys. I think I got it. Three segments ready for duplicating and welding into strips...

TireTreadFixed.png
    1396 x 872 - 120K
    JonnyRay said:

Thanks for the help and ideas you guys. I think I got it. Three segments ready for duplicating and welding into strips...

nice profile, how many poly just in that strip you made?
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited April 2019

Using some tips from Max's last video, I was able to merge the 3 strips into one without adding too much complexity. Unsmoothed, this strip has 585 polygons. There are areas I could reduce more, and if I were going to sell this, I probably would. But it's good enough for me to start extending the tread, bending it, and mirroring to make the tire.

TireTreadSolved.png
    1396 x 872 - 171K