Looking for monsters that fit 'real' evolution

I'd like to start a discussion of new ideas to throw at the content creators out there, because we are all too dependent on old ideas and legends.

Lots of monsters and creatures are available, of course, but what I'd like to see more of are monsters that would fit in with Earthly ideas of evolution.

Like winged animals (other than insects) that only have four limbs, not six; their arms would be wings, and leave prehensile feet (and tail?) for holding things. Wiverns instead of dragons, harpies instead of angels/devils. Of course versions of those already exist, which is why I use them as examples.

Other ideas would be multilimbed sea creatures that evolved to live on land. There are some existing Chtulhu types, but what about other kinds of octpods with shells or whatever. Crabs that grew scorpion tails.

Okay, who else has novel ideas? And if you have a favourite, overworked creator you want to annoy bring into this thread, feel free. They can blame me for starting this devil

(Frank)

Comments

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

"Real evolution", by definition could include just about anything you can imagine. Anything that doesn't break the laws of physics is possible; it may never have happened, it may have happened but been unsuccessful in the environment where it happened, but it is still possible. Many strange (to us) creatures already exist or have existed. Yes, even "fire breathing" winged creatures are, in principle, possible. Just look at the Bombadier Beetle for example. The principle of Evolution is that "what works best in a specific environment survives". So, have fun thinking up wierd creatures, just check they don't contravene the laws of physics.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited March 2019

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • So you actually mean mythical creatures right? From Harpies to Cyclops to Bigfoot men that can breath like fishes, mermaid etc... There are products like that. 

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487
    Oso3D said:

After Man was such a fun book with great illustrations.  I'd love to see someone go off in that direction.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Yes to all! I am hoping people will let their imaginations roam as the will.

As for other crazy critters we already, IsaacNeuton, I see your Bombardier Beetle and raise with a https://www.daz3d.com/platypus-by-am ;

And thanks, Oso3d. I had forgotten about that book.

Theforceunleashed3, using your example, mermaids would be fine with mammalian tails, and gilled mammals might be possible along the lines of an evolved axolotl.

And I just found this, too: https://spec-evo.fandom.com/wiki/Night_Stalker

More please?

• This is a pretty cool idea, and I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but when you start getting into the weird creature design area then it becomes a very specialized design with a very limited use for the average daz user. Meaning, in order to communicate why this animal has weird anatomy, it needs to be put into the right setting to communicate why it looks the way it does. The reason most creatures are very iconic and generic in the daz store is because they sell a lot better (since they have a much broader use). I'm personally working on a Wyvern for the Daz store and while my creativity wants to run wild on making it look very distinctive, I know the more generic it looks = the more copies it will sell. I just wanted to say that it's not because artists haven't gave it time to think about it, it's just the return on time invested probably would not be worth i to most artists.

This is a pretty cool idea, and I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but when you start getting into the weird creature design area then it becomes a very specialized design with a very limited use for the average daz user. Meaning, in order to communicate why this animal has weird anatomy, it needs to be put into the right setting to communicate why it looks the way it does. The reason most creatures are very iconic and generic in the daz store is because they sell a lot better (since they have a much broader use). I'm personally working on a Wyvern for the Daz store and while my creativity wants to run wild on making it look very distinctive, I know the more generic it looks = the more copies it will sell. I just wanted to say that it's not because artists haven't gave it time to think about it, it's just the return on time invested probably would not be worth i to most artists.

I do understand that, and the need for paying their bills smiley so this thread is here to encourage new ideas, especially for people who do this for fun or as a challenge. And, of course, input from experts like yourself is invaluable!

• Risk3DRisk3D Posts: 65
    Oso3D said:

There was a great mini series back in '02 called "The Future is Wild" that showed animals and environments 5mil, 100, and 200million years in the future if there was no mor mankind. I loved the "very last mammel species" :) I think there was even an animated kids series adaptation as well.

edited March 2019

Yes to all! I am hoping people will let their imaginations roam as the will.

As for other crazy critters we already, IsaacNeuton, I see your Bombardier Beetle and raise with a https://www.daz3d.com/platypus-by-am ;

And thanks, Oso3d. I had forgotten about that book.

Theforceunleashed3, using your example, mermaids would be fine with mammalian tails, and gilled mammals might be possible along the lines of an evolved axolotl.

And I just found this, too: https://spec-evo.fandom.com/wiki/Night_Stalker

More please?

He he, the sea is a great place for wierd creatures; from Phronima (the inspiration for the Alien films) to the Anglerfish... check out the mating habits of this fish. You would not even believe at first sight that the male was the same species, and when he does find the girl of his dreams, he fuses his body with hers permanently... what a freeloader!

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
    edited March 2019

duplicate post, sorry

Post edited by IsaacNewton on

I keep kicking around the idea of fleshing out an entire alien ecosystem.

Its... not a very profitable endeavor, but... I still wanna.

A man has to feed his family, but once or twice he can maybe indulge himself? Petipet has done that with some alien environments and plants that fit this theme, for example. And how well do Joe Quick's creations sell? 

I don't know what the bottom line is for merchants, so I can only throw ideas onto the table and hope for the best wink

It really depends on circumstance. For me, this business is mostly 'fun money'; I don't make enough stuff to rely on this as revenue, so I mainly avoid very nonlucrative stuff mostly because it's depressing to do a lot of work and have people basically turn their noses up.

Other people rely on 3d content to pay bills; making too many 'vanity' projects could translate to getting a car repossessed.

• MechasarMechasar Posts: 181
    edited March 2019

I'd like to start a discussion of new ideas to throw at the content creators out there, because we are all too dependent on old ideas and legends.

Lots of monsters and creatures are available, of course, but what I'd like to see more of are monsters that would fit in with Earthly ideas of evolution.

Like winged animals (other than insects) that only have four limbs, not six; their arms would be wings, and leave prehensile feet (and tail?) for holding things. Wiverns instead of dragons, harpies instead of angels/devils. Of course versions of those already exist, which is why I use them as examples.

Other ideas would be multilimbed sea creatures that evolved to live on land. There are some existing Chtulhu types, but what about other kinds of octpods with shells or whatever. Crabs that grew scorpion tails.

Okay, who else has novel ideas? And if you have a favourite, overworked creator you want to annoy bring into this thread, feel free. They can blame me for starting this devil

(Frank)

This is an interesting topic.

So, I’d wager you were one of those who saw Avatar thinking: “Why should this creature have six limbs?”. “What has driven the evolution to give such a number of limbs to those animals?”.

Evolution has run its course on Earth, so I think it’s very hard, or should I say a great challenge, for a PA to imagine and create a creature that could fit “real evolution”. Every sci-fi creature comes from 2 kind of backgrounds generally. From another world following an Earth-like evolution, or from Earth following a different evolutionary path. I think the 1st case is more common than the 2nd one, but in both cases artists have to dream up something completely unreal in order to start their work. Then, here’s the big question. Where is the boundary of our imagination in this case? What can make your creature more “realistic” or “natural” than another one?

We wouldn’t believe some animals can live (or lived) on Earth. The most of dinosaurs would had appeared as monsters to our eyes if we had never known about their existence before now. We also have flying fishes, crabs with blue blood because the copper in its composition, platypus, fireflies, extremophile bacteria, etc. etc. Why should a fish have a saw on its nose? Not to mention plants! There are so many “strange” living beings we already have on this amazing planet, and it’s very complicated to imagine something "realistic" that nature has not already done. That’s why an artist often moves his imagination to another planet that allows him to have some freedom of maneuver, with the risk of creating something that may appear “fantasy style” to other people, but that’s just because imagination varies from person to person (good thing!).  

Post edited by Mechasar on
    edited March 2019

Mechasar, all you've said is correct, and I started this thread to stimulate imaginations of artists and vendors alike.

Right now, I'm experimenting with textures to create a fully mammalian mermaid, based on https://www.daz3d.com/lil-mermaid-bundle because it's tail is typical of a mammal rather than a fish, and using the @Oso3d https://www.daz3d.com/oso-fur-shaders-for-iray

Normally I wouldn't inflict post an image of something I don't consider ready, but here it may be of use. Note that the texturing needs a LOT of work, and I've mixed 3Delight and Iray bits together, but you get the idea.

(The hair used is now free: https://www.daz3d.com/seafolk-kelphair-for-v4-a4-m4-and-h4)

lilmermaid1a.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    LilMermaid1.jpg
    729 x 782 - 322K
    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • This is a pretty cool idea, and I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but when you start getting into the weird creature design area then it becomes a very specialized design with a very limited use for the average daz user. Meaning, in order to communicate why this animal has weird anatomy, it needs to be put into the right setting to communicate why it looks the way it does. The reason most creatures are very iconic and generic in the daz store is because they sell a lot better (since they have a much broader use). I'm personally working on a Wyvern for the Daz store and while my creativity wants to run wild on making it look very distinctive, I know the more generic it looks = the more copies it will sell. I just wanted to say that it's not because artists haven't gave it time to think about it, it's just the return on time invested probably would not be worth i to most artists.

oooo   i lke have new dragon ,if can also add  it in skelton form it too  and me  if can is to add body parts  like brain  heart  so on 

edited March 2019

Okay, to make the mermaid more 'realistic' I added the Oso3d fur shaders to the G2F body, with some exceptions (eyes, etc), then had to do a render, while keeping it within TOS. Again this is just a fun experiment.

Lilmermaid2.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by frankrblow on

Good point and a very valid one at that