Adding basic textures in Surfaces panel

Hello everyone!

I'm a long-time Poser user, first-time Daz Studio user :)... and I have a very simple question: how do you add a basic material (wood, metal, plastic, etc.) to a primitive?

For example, I have created a primitive sphere and selected it using the "Surface Selection Tool". Once I selected the sphere, I was taken to the "Surfaces" panel (image 1) and in that panel I was able to play around with the diffuse color and a bunch of other options (image 2) which obviously changed the appearance of the sphere, but I don't want to just change the color of the primitive, I want to apply a texture to it.... but I simply cannot find the option to do that!

I figure I must be in the wrong panel, right? Anyway, I really need help with this. I know it's a very simple problem but it's driving me insane! :D

Thank you all!

001.jpg
612 x 397 - 54K
002.jpg
775 x 400 - 73K

Comments

• Click on the little triangle to the left of the color bar under Diffuse Color and you will get a fly-out menu.  Select the first option 'Browse', then navigate to and select your choice of an image map of wood from your machine.  This will get the diffuse color to somewhat resemble wood, depending on the quality of the image and the mapping on to the sphere may not be ideal.  It would work better on a plane or cube.

This leaves all the other properties of the surface unchanged.  You can try to set all these individually, or a better option is to apply a wood shader which should handle all the properties including the diffuse color.  Your surface is currently set up for the 3delight rendering engine, which I do not use.  For Iray, there are shader packs available to purchase that include wood: I imagine the same is true for 3delight.  Once installed, first select the sphere in the Scene tab and also in the Surfaces tab; now locate the wood shader you want to load on to the sphere in the Content Library and double-click on it, or right-click and choose 'Merge into Scene'.

• CffMstrCffMstr Posts: 0

Thanks a lot, Andya. I got it to work just fine.

BTW, I checked my engine settings and it seems that the default shader for my version of DAZ Studio is Iray. I will also investigate further on those shader packs you mentioned smiley

1.jpg
    682 x 469 - 81K