Tess for Genesis 8 Female by Maelwenn - Fireflies issue

It seems whenever I render this character, and only this character, the skin has fireflies all over it....

Anybody else experiencing this?

JD

Comments

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587

Update...

I swapped her skin with anoother characters, and the issue went away...

So it seems it's something to do with the Tess Skin....

JD

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,339
    edited March 2019

I have heard stories that some characters are preemptively implementing Chromatic SSS (only currently available in the Daz 4.11 Beta) that doesn't work in Daz 4.10, but without specifying that in the description.

I can't personally comment, as I've not yet come across such a character (I try to be a bit thrifty about buying characters, as they can be mixed and matched in all kinds of ways) and don't know what the side effects are, but it would probably help people to know which version of Daz you're using.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961

Chromatic SSS works in DAZ 4.10, but with a bug (?). Try turning Draw Dome on in render settings in the environment settings and see if that helps.

Or, select the skin/lips/nails surfaces, look for SSS Mode, and set it to mono. I haven't been crazy about the look versus performance, maybe it will be faster in 4.11 and I will reconsider how it looks smiley

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited March 2019

Chromatic SSS works in DAZ 4.10, but with a bug (?). Try turning Draw Dome on in render settings in the environment settings and see if that helps.

Or, select the skin/lips/nails surfaces, look for SSS Mode, and set it to mono. I haven't been crazy about the look versus performance, maybe it will be faster in 4.11 and I will reconsider how it looks smiley

It looks alright, but it's being setup wrong if you should ask me. There's no detail to the skins anymore. It's getting lost in the 90% translucency (at least on the DO's). Just my humble opinion.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
    That's fair. But my understanding is that the fireflies are a bug that is fixed in an upcoming version of Studio, not something that is meant to be currently unavailable and not working at all in the current version. Whether or not it's working as intended doesn't stop characters from having translucency set too high by default.

Yeah, that particular issue seems to be fixed.

Laurie

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited March 2019

I can't say I have any firefly issues and I have done a bunch of renders using tess. These renders are right out of the box .  Are you using a low lit HDR ? I always have firefly issues with low light.  you can try changing your filter settings to these ones i posted to see if thats helps any thats the settings I used for my renders

Capture.JPG
    497 x 325 - 38K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731

Setting Draw Dome to On is another way to fix it.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@AllenArt "here's no detail to the skins anymore. It's getting lost in the 90% translucency (at least on the DO's)."

I'm with Laurie. rans should be set somewhere near 0.15 / 0.20. Higher settings make the skin too dark and tend to hide detail. BTW, the same is true for many fabrics.

FWIW, Scattering Measurement distance should also be ~ 0.01, (based on real world measurements.)

Here is what I was getting....

TessIssues.jpg
    881 x 1529 - 381K
    edited March 2019

This was after swapping the skin out...

And for the record I am using DAZ 4.10 Pro....NOT 4.11 Pro.

JD

TessNewSkin.jpg
    689 x 1428 - 180K
    Post edited by jdavison67 on
    Did you try turning draw dome on?

I tried turning draw dome on, and I tried changing the filter settings, niether helped.

I loaded my scene in 4.11 Pro...and it renders fine....Soooooo...that's nice to know...

JD

I tried to reproduce your results and i am still not able to draw those fireflies like you had

I just did this one orginal skin and all

Tessie   #Gallery

edited March 2019

Don't know what to tell ya...I swapped back  to the Tess Skin, and it does the firefly thing in 4.10...but not in 4.11...

Not sure what the other factor could be, though I never played  with the SSS settings....

JD

Post edited by jdavison67 on

Here is the 4.11Pro Render...

JD

4.11Tess.jpg
    771 x 1523 - 301K

the 4.11 render looks great. I was using 4.10 for my renders. and I just used the daz native render settings with the draw dome off too. weird  could not reproduce those spots. I'm glad it works for you in daz 4.11 i have not downloaded daz beta yet

edited March 2019

Here is what I was getting....

Funny, my fireflies (or fleas?) are black in DS (they turn white if I drop the saved PNG into SnagIt, though they get black again after saving the edited file, probably some Alpha channel thing). So maybe it's a different problem you have.

Here's Tess with Draw Dome Off versus On, in 4.10, default DS render settings:

tess_fireflies.png
    1350 x 920 - 2M
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

When are they pushing the 4.11 as the stable build? This also happens to some old figures like bluejaunte's Misumi.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861
    y3kman said:

When are they pushing the 4.11 as the stable build? This also happens to some old figures like bluejaunte's Misumi.

She comes with an additional 4.10 mat preset though, to avoid this. Fireflies seem to happens with none standard transmitted and SSS color. And draw dome ON fixes it too.

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    y3kman said:

She comes with an additional 4.10 mat preset though, to avoid this. Fireflies seem to happens with none standard transmitted and SSS color. And draw dome ON fixes it too.

Even with the 4.10 mat, Misumi still has transparent pixels on her finger nails (hand and toes) if the dome is set to off. I have to use a nail mat of a different figure or a shader from one of the skin products to fix this. I know about the dome fix but most of my indoor renders are done with the environment mode as Scene Only (stubborn habit I guess).

Untitled.png
    1684 x 905 - 859K
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861
    y3kman said:
    y3kman said:

Even with the 4.10 mat, Misumi still has transparent pixels on her finger nails (hand and toes) if the dome is set to off. I have to use a nail mat of a different figure or a shader from one of the skin products to fix this. I know about the dome fix but most of my indoor renders are done with the environment mode as Scene Only (stubborn habit I guess).

Hmm, odd. Wonder if that is a more recent occurence since it never came up in testing.

They are more like holes than fireflies. That's why they're black in the render and turned white when  you saved as PNG Taoz. The black spots are, well, a "hole" lot of nothing. ;)

Laurie

AllenArt said:

They are more like holes than fireflies. That's why they're black in the render and turned white when  you saved as PNG Taoz. The black spots are, well, a "hole" lot of nothing. ;)

Laurie

Yes, I imagine that it's just the alpha channel peeking through the holes. Seems the color depends on which app you open the PNG in.