Iray render starts over when changing tone mapping...

This question has been asked and I've searched the threads pertaining and have yet to find a definitive answer.

HOW do you prevent this from happening?  It seems to just pick a time to start doing this - starting the render over from Iteration 1 - when minor tone mapping adjustments are made.  I can find no rhyme or reason to when DAZ decides to do this.  I've had it happen on scene files I've used many times without the problem arising.  I've had it happen on brand new scene files, and not on other brand new scene files.  I've tried to see what I'm doing that might cause this, but I haven't been able to discern the cause.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I've just had this cost me an hour and 45 minutes of my day.  DAZ finds LOTS of ways to waste my time, and it would be nice to be able to get some of these boogers blown into a hanky. 

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

been trying to figure this one out myself, Ithought is might be if it gets past a certain convergence level but nothing shouts out to be norm.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

As far as I know, any change in rendering settings starts the render over. 

no that is incorrect for me as I have had images that didn't start over, they just got brighter or darker depending on what changes I made to the tone mapping.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2019

AFAIK Iray always starts over if you change tone mapping .. that's a Iray feature. You can however render as hdr images and tone map in post with a paint program or a video editor for animations. There are other PBR engines that don't start over though. Cycles doesn't, Lux doesn't either.

Post edited by Padone on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I tested this and it starts from where it left off. If the change was made at say 19 it would wait a second or three and then start again at the next iteration. It doesn't start from iteration 1 again as far as I can see.

Thanks Fishtales,

sometimes I don't no why I bother

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    Fishtales said:

I tested this and it starts from where it left off. If the change was made at say 19 it would wait a second or three and then start again at the next iteration. It doesn't start from iteration 1 again as far as I can see.

This ^

but I have had it restart from iteration 1 before but most times it does what Fishtales and fastbike 1 confirms. I think the OP, like myself, wants to know why sometimes it does start all over again from the start when other times it doesn't. :)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2019

Mine always restarts. Not from iteration 1 may be, but it goes back a whole lot for sure. Proof of that is that if you keep changing the tone mapping while rendering it never converges. While if you don't touch the tone mapping it converges after a while.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1) load a G2F in an empty scene and render with default values.

2) while rendering, keep changing the exposure value in the rendering windows.

EDIT. I'm on 4.10 yet because my card is not supported by 4.11. Going to upgrade soon. So may be it's 4.11 that's different ?

Post edited by Padone on