Advanced Spotlight doesn't work?

Hello,

I purchased the following product:

https://www.daz3d.com/advanced-spotlight

I set up a test with these mushroom props.

I was hoping it would be a good light to light up my scenes, with a nice intense spotlight, but it does nothing. Worse, it renders a completely black scene. (see pictures). 

I cannot figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong. The viewport shows the lighting effect of the spotlight (see attached) but the render is black.

If I delete the spotlight from the scene, the scene renders normally with the default headlamp (no scene lights).

Am I missing something?

The first render is with the default headlamp, and the last render is with the spotlight and you can see nothing but a black screen. I have the spotlight turned up as far as it will go, 200% and yet the screen is black. You can see from the workspace screenshot that the mushrooms are hightlighted with the Advanced Spotlight. Why is the render black?

1_spotlight_main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 84K
mushrooms with default headlamp.png
604 x 659 - 362K
mushrooms with advanced spotlight.png
604 x 659 - 3K

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    von Hobo said:

Hello,

I purchased the following product:

https://www.daz3d.com/advanced-spotlight

I set up a test with these mushroom props.

I was hoping it would be a good light to light up my scenes, with a nice intense spotlight, but it does nothing. Worse, it renders a completely black scene. (see pictures). 

I cannot figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong. The viewport shows the lighting effect of the spotlight (see attached) but the render is black.

If I delete the spotlight from the scene, the scene renders normally with the default headlamp (no scene lights).

Am I missing something?

The first render is with the default headlamp, and the last render is with the spotlight and you can see nothing but a black screen. I have the spotlight turned up as far as it will go, 200% and yet the screen is black. You can see from the workspace screenshot that the mushrooms are hightlighted with the Advanced Spotlight. Why is the render black?

Just in case, you are not trying to do this in IRAY rather than 3delight?

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

Yes, I am using Iray to render. Is the spotlight a 3Delight only product? 

I turned 3Delight on and the mushroom renders with the spot.

It's a solid black with the spot in iRay.

If I remove the spotlight from the scene, the mushroom renders equally well with 3Delight or IRay as render setting.

Now I'm totally confused. 

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Don't have the product but the online info says you should have a PDF user manual. You might check with that, since it is a custom light, it has some custom settings.  In any case, it really should work from a fresh scene with any standard item loaded one would think.

Thanks for the info mdwhithey. 

I did a couple test renders with different props using Advanced Spotlight, and it only lights up the prop if the render mode is set to 3Delight.

So I will return the product. 

I will try to just use my own lights in the scene since I know that the DAZ Studio lights work in Iray. 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

It was a 3delight product.... 

It appears to be. thanks. I had no idea lights can be limited to 3Delight. I only thought environments and props were.

I have since set up my own light for Iray and found out it's not that hard to do. :)

• Iray and 3delight have their own shading language (essentially, code that tells the engine exactly what it should do with surfaces etc.). DS can convert the standard 3Delight shaders to Iray fairly well, but custom code is just a closed book to it - and I'm not sure that Iray uses light shaders in quite the way that 3Delight does.