Skin mats causing unwanted alpha holes

Hi there, I've been having an issue lately with genesis 3 & 8 skin mats that cause pixel sized holes in the alpha channel of the model. The two I've had an issue with is Tess for Genesis 8 and Lady Rune for Genesis 3. Has anyone come across this problem before and/or come up with a solution?

I've tried adjusting the firefly filter settings, but they seem to only deal with pixel colour issues, not alpha ones. A way around it in photoshop is to just duplicate the model to a new layer and apply a gaussian blur to the behind layer, but that doesn't help when doing animations.

Attached is an example. This is the same model rendered with Tess and The Girl 8 default skins. I've been trying to figure this out for a while so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Issue-Tess Render.png
467 x 933 - 161K
Issue-TheGirlRender.png
467 x 933 - 158K

Comments

• If this is DS 4.10.0.123 try selecting the skin surfaces in the Surfaces pane and if the SS Type iss et to Chromatic set it to Mono. I'm not sure that this is the issue, it usually has a more widespread effect, but if it is then the version of Iray in the public build (4.11.0.236) has fixed the bug.

• usualdayusualday Posts: 2

If this is DS 4.10.0.123 try selecting the skin surfaces in the Surfaces pane and if the SS Type iss et to Chromatic set it to Mono. I'm not sure that this is the issue, it usually has a more widespread effect, but if it is then the version of Iray in the public build (4.11.0.236) has fixed the bug.

That solved it! Thanks :D

• Tess has been driving me nuts- Since I purched her a few days ago I've had the same issue. changed the sss AND added a radom distant light (read about doing that in another post about fireflies).

What  I stumbled across this morning: I had to change the SSS type to mono, and add 1 random distant light.

ALSO: For some reason when I use materials selected from the left side menu I get the fireflies regardless of what I do- When I select materials from the the preset menu on the right, ZERO fireflies...

2019-04-02_053257.png
    1888 x 807 - 805K
  • Tess has been driving me nuts- Since I purched her a few days ago I've had the same issue. changed the sss AND added a radom distant light (read about doing that in another post about fireflies).

What  I stumbled across this morning: I had to change the SSS type to mono, and add 1 random distant light.

This will sound stupid, it is what it is for me:ALSO: For some reason when I use materials selected from the left side menu I get the fireflies regardless of what I do- When I select materials from the the preset menu on the right, ZERO fireflies...

• Fireflies are bright spots on the render, not the holes caused by the Chromatic SSS issue. I can'tt hink why using the presets from the Surfaces pane would be different from using them from Smart Content, though I dod wonder if you have the same Filter By Context choice in both.