A Zero being used as a torpedo bomber?

Dude... really? That's like using a B52 as a fighter plane devil

Comments

• 3anson3anson Posts: 313

sorry, but it is accurate. most Japanese military aircraft of the time could be configured in many ways, and were, as situations demanded.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    3anson said:

sorry, but it is accurate

source?

• 3anson3anson Posts: 313

back at ya, friend.  where is your source that states the A6 model never carried torpedoes?

DED does EXTENSIVE research on every model he makes, do you?

3anson said:

back at ya, friend.  where is your source that states the A6 model never carried torpedoes?

to give proof that something does not exist isn't the scientific way. One can only prove that something does exist. And after checking sources, I did not find any proof for Zeros/Zekes using torpedoes.

So when You don't have any either, I'll just stay with my opinion that there weren't any.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Why not just not use the torpedo?

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

Did anyone research the likelihood of someone named Vicky actually had a sword and sandals and stood in an heroic pose on the steps of a temple..... looking off stage left LOL?

Artists blow raspberries at the real world and I'm fine with that.

• BohorBohor Posts: 74

Using bombs or torpedo's on a fighter is not that strange. There is also a model of a Messerschmitt 109 here in the job. They've used it to drop bombs too.

• BohorBohor Posts: 74
    Bohor said:

Using bombs or torpedo's on a fighter is not that strange. There is also a model of a Messerschmitt 109 here in the job. They've used it to drop bombs too.

'shop' I mean, not job

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    Just go to Google and keyword ZERO TORPEDO BOMBER. Good grief how do you think they blew up ships at Pearl Harbor? Strafing the decks? History class is open and we're about to get schooled.
    fred9803 said:
    Artists blow raspberries at the real world and I'm fine with that.

Artists can blow whatever they want, unless they bring out historical stuff, which is when I expect them to be accurate.

If that model had been called "Japanese war plane" I wouldn't have bothered with it carrying an atomic bomb... but when using the designation given by the US military for a historical plane, I expect a historically accurate model.

Bohor said:

Using bombs or torpedo's on a fighter is not that strange. There is also a model of a Messerschmitt 109 here in the shop. They've used it to drop bombs too.

And they, too, weren't equipped with torpedoes.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,136

Zeros could carry upto 250kg's of bombs, which they did on Kamikaze missions. I haven't found reference for torpedoes though.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    Geez is Google broken? Search on images for ZERO TORPEDO.
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,136
    mwokee said:
    Geez is Google broken? Search on images for ZERO TORPEDO.

While that results in several images showing models of zero fighters carrying a torpedo, the photographs within the results all show other planes.

Data from a variety of websites is also inconclusive. While it does mention the zero was capable of carrying upto 250kg in bombs after removing some stuff like the external fuelpod, making it theoretically possible to carry a light torpedo, I couldn't find reference to that ever happening, nor any reference to such light torpedoes employed by the Japanese navy (the Type-91 already weighed 835kg including the body).

• Since this appears to be a combative thread, rather than a thread about combat, it has been locked

This discussion has been closed.