Unsupported figure / fit to / auto fit

This is an interesting one. 

Somewhere in Studio, there must be code that says "I'm built for xxxxx" eg "I'm built for Genesis 8 Male".  If you load a file and then "fit to" eg G8M then it simply fits, without triggering the autofit utility.  Conversely, if you load a file built for G3M and "fit to" G8M, it triggers the autofit utility, which, for my model (details below) obliterates the model's own rigging and replaces it with (in my model's case wholly irrelevant) G8M rigging.  If you want to see what I mean about the rigging trashing, load up eg G8M and G3MGenitalia then "fit to" the G3MG to G8M. Or try it with G3 and G8MG - same, even though G3M and G8M and G3MG and G8MG are almost identical across the relevant surfaces and rigging.

I can't find where that line of code is.  It does not appear to be in the asset's own .duf file.  Nor can I find where to (or if it's even possible to) "fit to" and bypass the autofit utility.  Can anybody help?

If I take my raw, imported and rigged but only saved-in-the-scene asset and "fit to" ,say, G8M, it triggers the auto fit and obliterates the rigging.

IF I save-as my model as a "support asset / figure/prop asset" and specify it is for G8M, then load that saved .DUF, it will "fit to" G8M without triggering autofit.

And then it gets INCOMPREHENSIBLE because if I re-save-as my model with different names etc. and specify it is for G3M, when I load, it triggers autofit to "fit to" G3M but not to "fit to" G8M (to which it fits very nicely, thank you).

So my questions / help needed are.

1. Where in Studio is the code saying "this model is designed for model xxx" [so that a "fit to" simply fits without triggering auto fit]?

2. Is it possible to "fit to" and by-pass autofit when the model does not say it was designed for the target model?

3. Is it possible to tell studio that one model is designed for multiple models [and hence will not trigger autofit on a "fit to"]?

4. What do I need to do to "save-as / support asset / figure prop asset" multiple times to get multiple .duf files each of which thinks it was designed for a different Genesis and will "fit to" that genesis without triggering autofit?

Cheers, Lx

BACKGROUND ON THE MODEL(S)

I'm building a bespoke set of male genitalia et al, hoping to be able to use it on all four (to date) generations of genesis.  It has quite different mesh (more detailed, more regular) and rigging (more articulation) than the existing model-specific genitalia supplied with each GenesisM.  The model is akin to the G3/G8 gentials in that it extends across the whole pelvic floor including the anus.

At this stage I have the model with UVs mapped to the G1/G2 gential materials (including folding to cover the extended areas G1/G2 gentials don't cover). I'm not anticipating too much difficulty in developing UV sets for the G3/G3 and the M4 genital materials. The model's "body plate" has two concentric sets of edges, the inner one with vertices co-incident with the G3M and G4M meshes, the outer one with verticies co-incident with the G1 and the G2M meshes.  I've yet to do the geografting to the four genesis males.

Before I get into serious shaping of the currently-stylised model and building a bunch of morphs to give it versitility, I was playing around with getting it fitted and grafted - and ran up against the fitting issues above.

Comments

• It's in the metadata, which you can access via right-click menu or option menu in the Content Library pane. Items need to be amrked as Compatible With. It can also be done by having the base figure loaded into the scene and selected, then dragging the thumbnail for the item from Content Library into the desied category in Smart Content.

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 276

Thanks Richard. How do you know so much? After an update to the metadata, it appeared to work then didn't again so I'll have to play around.  For some reason, in editing the metadata through the menus eg "Genesis 2" shows up in the pick-list but not "Genesis 2 Male".  I got around that limitation by the drag and drop method which is actually easier anyway. Cheers, Lx

• You should be able to expand the Genesis 2 entry in the list of possible compatibilites to see both Male and Female listed and selectable.

I'm still clearly missing something in my understanding here.  I've saved the file as a support asset (attachment).  In that process you can specify what figure it was designed for (I used G3M) and one-only compatible figure (I used G8M).  I've then gone in an edited the compatability as you showed me - screenshot attached.  But I'm still at the place where it fits to G3M but fit to G1, G2M or G8M all trigger the autofit dialogue, and if I allow that to run, all my rigging gets erased.  Can you see what I might be doing wrong?  Thanks, Lx

Screenshot (187).png
    783 x 731 - 41K
  • Well, it's tricky to get an item to fit to two figues (it can be done, there are examples in the store). I'm not sure how it is done though - I was thinking only of the Smart Content pane filtering.

Just a quick update on today's tinkering, in case it is useful to anyone.  FWIW, this is all on a scene object that has not yet been saved as a library object ie it's not yet content.

• I was able to get the model to "fit to" without the unsupported model dialogue for G2M G3M and G8M (but only one at a time) by setting that model as the preferred base in edit/scene identification / preferred base.  For some reason the fit to for G1 by this method did not work and still triggered the unsupported model dialogue.
    • Setting the compatability base in the same edit/scene identifier/compatability base did not appear to have any effect (ie the unsupported asset dialogue still triggered on "fit to").
    • The edit/set default compatabilty base (a different edit menu item) did not appear to have any effect - indeed it appeared not to save as it always opened blank and whatever was entered did not appear in the edit/scene identification information plus the "fit to" behavior did not change.

Bottom line is that with a relatively small edit, I can get the model to fit to G2M, G3M and G8M  without any unsupoprted asset dialogue.  The raw G3M and G8M fits are pretty good without any geografting as yet.  The G2M fit is poor because the bone / skin locations are more than trivially different - and just translating the model is not the solution. Im yet to work out the solution

It would still be useful to know how to circumvent the unsupported asset dialogue.  In my experimenting, listing a compatability base on a saved asset that appeard in the content library did not appear to achieve that circumvention.

And at least now, it is stable enough to move onto setting up the geografts and doing the other UV mapping I want to do, whilst also progressing the morph sets I want to build

Cycling back on this one, and hopeful someone has an answer. Same project here and still the issue that fitting the geograft to Genesis (ie G1 - this problem doesn't occur with G2 through G8) still triggers the "unsupported asset" dialogue which completely re-bones the geograft (ie not helpful at all). The attachment's compatability base, autofit base and  preferred base are all set as Genesis which should, as I understand it, prevent the autofit dialogue from triggering. 

Any suggestions?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835

Genesis doesn't have the code to use "compatible base", that code was created for use with G2 in DS 4.6, and was never retro fitted to Genesis.

So it doesn't matter what you do, if the item was created for a newer figure then autofit will always trigger when you try to fit it to Genesis.

WOW! That is deep knowledge. Thanks. I'm only part way through a work-around attempt where I let autofit do its damage and then retro re-install the actual rigging and skinning back on to the model.

But you do beg one question "if the item was created for a newer figure" ...  This item is bespoke for Genesis, so is there some way to signal that and get around autofit? Or am I doomed?

Cheers

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835

I suspect that how you saved it originally might be the issue, from what I've read it sounds like you saved it as a scene, now if Genesis wasn't in that DUF file then the item no longer has any connection to a figure.

Now there might be a way to "fix" that, but it's a VERY long shot, it's so long I have my doubts if it will work.

All Conformers/GeoGrafts have a similar layout in their DSF files, the "sections" are almost always in the same order, the "presentation" section is a little different, the attached image shows what I mean.

So open the DSF file for your item, if you saved as a scene it'll be under "data/auto_adapted/(meshname_vertexcount)", and see which version of "presentation" you got.

Pressy.jpg
    637 x 443 - 120K

Thanks, Bejamac.  In the .duf, the format is like your G1 example, but in the .dsf (which is not in auto_adapted/... but in my <name> data library), it is like the example below the red line with "/Genesis" for both auto-fit and preferred base.

SUCCESS!  Perhaps.

It appears that letting autofit do whatever black magic it does, and then using the transfer utility to move skeletons and skinning etc. from another model "tricks" DAZ into thinking the model was made for Genesis and so no longer requires the autofit dialogue and action.  I've not jumped into the .dufs and .dsfs to see what might be able to be seen there that delivers this outcome.