tears texure help (on the face)

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok, I"m tryin gto do something with some skin texture

I'm trying to up-res them (from 4000 to 4096)

My first test was to work with V4s defult skin

Now, I"m having an issue

I can load the normal default skin to Genesis without an issue

But when I load mine in, the tears area is left, just white (no texture at all)

I even looked, the V4 texture set doesn't have any sort of texture for the Tear area

So...I"m a bit confused on how a Tear texture even gets there?

It does this to me all the time

I load a texture in through the program, a Tear texture is there, but if I load the texture in manually....no Tear texture will appear

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited October 2013

Ok, I"m tryin gto do something with some skin texture

I'm trying to up-res them (from 4000 to 4096)

My first test was to work with V4s defult skin

Now, I"m having an issue

I can load the normal default skin to Genesis without an issue

But when I load mine in, the tears area is left, just white (no texture at all)

I even looked, the V4 texture set doesn't have any sort of texture for the Tear area

So...I"m a bit confused on how a Tear texture even gets there?

It does this to me all the time

I load a texture in through the program, a Tear texture is there, but if I load the texture in manually....no Tear texture will appear

It's a separate Shading Domain, can find it via the Surfaces Tab to then apply the material [texture and/or colour] to it.
    And check the opacity too. Sometimes it's been turned down or to "0".

Post edited by patience55 on
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Shading Domain...where is that???

I'm under the Surface tab...but I don't know what you're talking about

edited October 2013

Shading Domain...where is that???

I'm under the Surface tab...but I don't know what you're talking about

Sorry, have been in Hexagon too much lately lol ...

think it's called a material now ... will be back in a minute.

7_Tear

edited December 1969

The template for the Tear area is "Victoria4_07-EyeSurface.png" which is still available under Resources on the product page if you need that.

edited December 1969

But I don't need the template

I working from an already finished skin texture

I need that skin finished skin texture's Tear texture to load

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295
    edited December 1969

If you go to the surface tab and beside V4 or Genesis you will see a little arrow, click that and it gives you all the body parts. Tears are near the bottom of that list. Just to the right of it it gives you things like difuse, opacity, ambient, etc. Make sure opacity is not at zero, there should be the little square to add your texture for tears.

edited December 1969

Because when if I defult load the V4 skin...NOTHING loads into any slot under the Tear section

That's defult loading, with the Daz people making a data hook-up to the folder

Their load has nothing loading into the Tear section, but yet...there is a texture loading into the Tear area

edited December 1969

CalieVee said:
    If you go to the surface tab and beside V4 or Genesis you will see a little arrow, click that and it gives you all the body parts. Tears are near the bottom of that list. Just to the right of it it gives you things like difuse, opacity, ambient, etc. Make sure opacity is not at zero, there should be the little square to add your texture for tears.

It was set at 100%

Seeing as I looked into that, I moved it to 0%...that worked, then looked at their texture setup...it was at 0%

Thanks for the help

edited December 1969

CalieVee said:

It was set at 100%

Seeing as I looked into that, I moved it to 0%...that worked, then looked at their texture setup...it was at 0%

Thanks for the help

That's curious ... however it wouldn't be the first time turning a setting "backwards" worked. Found that issue once with one set of displacement textures.

• surrealitysurreality Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Are you trying to add tears (the look of someone crying) to the face itself, or affect the tear line (the material zone)?

The 'tear' material zone doesn't create the look of someone crying at all, if that is the intended effect; it's a thin line of additional polygons that run along the bottom edge of the lower eyelid, and is usually transparent (with either reflections or shine to make that area look naturally wet).

If you want to make it look as though the character is crying, you need to work with the face material zone. What you're describing -- adding tears to the face -- suggests that the actual 'tear' material zone will likely be rather useless to bother with at all. You'll want to add your tear streaks to the face image (it sounds like you have) and then create a simple displacement map for the face to raise them from the skin. You will likely also want to adjust the specular map of the face texture to make your tears shiny (since they are shinier than skin).

edited October 2013

Or there are props like these for V4: sharecg.com link