Help! Computer crashed, trying to find saved temp render [Solved!]

WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
edited March 2019 in The Commons

I remember @RichardHazeltine mentioning where a render is saved when your computer crashes, but can’t remember where to find it...

Post edited by Wonderland on

Comments

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

Most likely (on a windows pc):

(c:\users\)  user\appdata\roaming\daz 3d\studio4\temp\render

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    glaseye said:

Most likely (on a windows pc):

(c:\users\)  user\appdata\roaming\daz 3d\studio4\temp\render

Yes!!! Thank you!!!  laughlaughheart

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

your welcome.... smiley

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731

I've been testing this and the tests showed that if DS crashes while rendering there is no saved render, unless you have paused and restarted the render while it was running. So if there is one anyway, it must be a previous one that either finished or was paused.

Try it yourself, start DS, check that the folder is empty, then start a render. There won't be anything in the folder before you click the cancel button or the render finishes by itself. If you kill DS in Task Manager while the render is running there won't be anything either.

So the only scenario I can think of where the scene that is rendering while DS crashes is saved is if DS under certain circumstances saves the render during a controlled shut down as part of handling an exception.

Also remember that if there is a render in the temp folder then DS will delete it (and anything else in that folder) when you start it.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    Taoz said:

I've been testing this and the tests showed that if DS crashes while rendering there is no saved render, unless you have paused and restarted the render while it was running. So if there is one anyway, it must be a previous one that either finished or was paused.

Try it yourself, start DS, check that the folder is empty, then start a render. There won't be anything in the folder before you click the cancel button or the render finishes by itself. If you kill DS in Task Manager while the render is running there won't be anything either.

So the only scenario I can think of where the scene that is rendering while DS crashes is saved is if DS under certain circumstances saves the render during a controlled shut down as part of handling an exception.

Also remember that if there is a render in the temp folder then DS will delete it (and anything else in that folder) when you start it.

The render was finished but the plug connecting my computer became loose and shut down the computer. I knew not to start up DS again so put up an SOS. here to find it before I started it up. And thanks to @glaseye, it worked! laugh

• I found within "C:\Daz 3D\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Temp\render" You have to find it before reopen Daz3d. Because this file will be deleted after opening program.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

The first thing you should do now is: Repair the plug!

• I haven't re-started Daz and the temp folder is empty, so there are definitely some circumstances where the work is just going to be lost. 12 hours down the drain.