Dual Lobe Gloss?

Can some kind soul explain Iray Dual Lobe Gloss to me in plain English please? I just can't understand what it is and what it is used for.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

* Offers popcorn and sits next to, to wait ... *

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Dual Lobe Specular? I treat it as an alternative to Glossy but with much finer control.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Specular - Gloss all the same to me and it is obvious that it is an alternative to the main Gloss Layer Weight but why is the real main Q. Seems like more work to set it up and more fiddling around to get it right.

As Uncle Ben said to Peter Parker, "...with great power comes more fiddling..."

edited March 2019

The unreal documentation gives a good example.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Resources/Showcases/DigitalHumans

Having 2 roughnesses and the ability to combine them on the same layer allows you to do things that the single Glossy can not do.

Post edited by prixat on

oh sweet thx, yeah that explains it well and not really needed for everything, really depends on the surface. That was  big help prixat

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Are you supposed to have two separate Glossiness or Roughness maps to make this work like in the Unreal example? I'm experimenting with it now, and while it gives nice control, it always seems like one of the Lobe values has no effect depending on how the Ratio is set.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited September 2019

Are you supposed to have two separate Glossiness or Roughness maps to make this work like in the Unreal example? I'm experimenting with it now, and while it gives nice control, it always seems like one of the Lobe values has no effect depending on how the Ratio is set.

Yes, you would need different roughness values to change the angles of where the effect will be seen. You may also need to adjust your viewing angle. In my simple diagram below, the lighter cone is "lobe 1" with a smaller roughness value and the darker is "lobe 2" with a larger one. From ViewPoint 1 (the orange wedge), you'd see a mixture of 1 and 2 depending on the weighting. From ViewPoint 2, you'd only see Lobe 2's effect.

IraySurface-05-DualLobe.png
    945 x 552 - 33K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Thanks, that's an interesting diagram. I thought maybe the 2nd lobe was showing reflections from other light sources or bounced light or something. Much appreciated.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476

Here's a little explanation I did for the diffeomorphic implementation. Please anyone feel free to add comments if you see anything that can be improved.

https://bitbucket.org/Diffeomorphic/import-daz/issues/321/dual-lobe-specularity-implementation-and

Padone said:

Here's a little explanation I did for the diffeomorphic implementation. Please anyone feel free to add comments if you see anything that can be improved.

https://bitbucket.org/Diffeomorphic/import-daz/issues/321/dual-lobe-specularity-implementation-and

nice read thank you