Unexpected Error when in Picture lab

DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I am using Bryce 7.1 Pro and exported an HDRI image into a Spherical Map. I then go into my picture editing program, GIMP 2.8, and modify the BMP (mirror it and then offset it to match the HDRI image). I go back into Bryce and create a new Bryce default sphere. I go into the materials for the sphere and switch on a Picture texture. When I try to use the modified BMP I get an "Unexpected error (generic failure)" message. Now if I use the unmodified BMP or a modified JPG file I have no trouble.

My question is, is this an issue with modifying the BMP in GIMP 2.8 or is it an issue with Bryce?

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

I can't say for sure. But there are 24 and 32 bit BMPs. The 32 bit are actually also 24 bit but have additionally an alpha map. I know that if you save a scene from Bryce, the BMP is 24 bit. If you Save Image As, the BMP is saved as 32 bit. The labs cannot load 32 bit ones.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. Maybe GIMP adds the alpha channel to the bit map image.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

You're welcome. Hopefully it helps. Check into GIMP. There may well be an option to save with or without alpha map. Photoshop has this option.