Where Are New Character Controls?

Hi,

I just purchased my first character. 

https://www.daz3d.com/ginevra-hd-for-genesis-8-female

I have the new character loaded in Daz.  I have new character selected in Scene Tab. 

Where are the controls for this character?  Can't find them anywhere.  No instructions included, best I can tell.  

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

DS has many controls, windows, depending on what your trying to do.  Check out this video getting started smiley

• jake_fjake_f Posts: 226

Thank you.  I've watched that, and am able to use basic controls for G8F. 

Where are the controls for the features listed in the What's Included and Features section of this sales page?

I did manage to put a skin on the ginevra character.  There was no skin available for ginevra  until I loaded G8F. 

So far at least, the new character looks almost identical to the default G8F character.  I have them both loaded side by side and can just barely see any difference.

What exactly is the point of purchasing characters?  I don't get that that, but still listening.

Thank you.

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited February 2019
    jake_f said:

Thank you.  I've watched that, and am able to use basic controls for G8F. 

Where are the controls for the features listed in the What's Included and Features section of this sales page?

I did manage to put a skin on the ginevra character.  There was no skin available for ginevra  until I loaded G8F. 

So far at least, the new character looks almost identical to the default G8F character.  I have them both loaded side by side and can just barely see any difference.

What exactly is the point of purchasing characters?  I don't get that that, but still listening.

Thank you.

When you get a new figure you will find it in the smart tab under figures - You dont load the G8 figure -but if you do
    you have to go to Shapes tab and load the new figures body and head to it and then in materials tab load the skin
    and all the rest materials. you can filter the material with writing ginevra in the field. If you want to change shapes etc
    you need to buy add ons for shaping figures....

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • And yes there is skin for Ginerva- I have her as well and she looks great!

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Oh, gotcha.  I load all my characters from Content library tab, Daz studio formats > My Daz 3D library > People > Genesis 8 Female > Characters, select folder of character, sub folders will have character base skin, eyes, lips, makeup, etc....

G8 female folder, you should see base character thumbnails.  Just click..

If you need screen shots let me know.  Have fun ! 

AJ2112 said:

I load all my characters from Content library tab, Daz studio formats > My Daz 3D library > People > Genesis 8 Female > Characters, select folder of character, sub folders will have character base skin, eyes, lips, makeup, etc....

Hi, thanks for your reply.   Here's what I see in my Content Library.

-----------

My Library / People / Genesis  8 Female / Clothing

My Library / People / Genesis  8 Female / Hair

My Library / People / Genesis  8 Female / Poses

-----------

No mention of characters in that section, or ginevra.  I looked through the rest of the Content Library section by section, can't find ginevra anywhere.

So I did a search of the Content Library for ginevra and found what appear to be that character's files.   But I can't figure out how to find the folder where these files are stored from the search interface.

And yes there is skin for Ginerva- I have her as well and she looks great!

Ok, I see the skin file now, found it in a search of Content Library.

1) I select Ginerva in the Scene Tab.

2) I double click the Ginerva skin file in the Content Library.

3) The system appears to be applying the file.

4) Ginerva returns to the default gray of a new character.

------------------

So I tried this...

1) I select Ginerva in the Scene Tab.

2) I look in the Materials section of the Smart Content tab.

3) Nothing there but an option called Lights.

------------------

So I tried this...

1) Create a new file

2) Load Ginerva

3) The default skin for G8F now appears in the Materials tab of Smart Content and can be applied to Ginerva.  No mention of Ginerva skin anywhere that I can see.

It's possible, just a theory, that all this confusion is caused by the issue described here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/311671/mac-installing-character-in-multiple-user-accounts

The Daz Install Manager seems to have installed the new character in the Users/Shared section of the Mac user management interface.    The result seems to be, just a theory, that while the new character is indeed available within Daz, it's basically hidden within the Daz interface.

I would have thought that installing a product in the Users/Shared section would make it available to all Mac user accounts, but this is not the case.

The free files I've installed manually go in the Documents section of a particular Mac user account.  These files always appear where you'd expect to see them in the Daz interface.  I've installed dozens of free products from Renderosity by this method without any problems.

Anyway, if you're losing interest in this mystery I don't blame you, for I am too.  Perhaps I should just return this product and get on with my life.

Ok, I requested a refund, case closed, problem solved.  Sorry to bother any of you with this, and thanks for your replies.

• jake_f said:
    AJ2112 said:

I load all my characters from Content library tab, Daz studio formats > My Daz 3D library > People > Genesis 8 Female > Characters, select folder of character, sub folders will have character base skin, eyes, lips, makeup, etc....

Hi, thanks for your reply.   Here's what I see in my Content Library.

-----------

My Library / People / Genesis  8 Female / Clothing

My Library / People / Genesis  8 Female / Hair

My Library / People / Genesis  8 Female / Poses

-----------

No mention of characters in that section, or ginevra.  I looked through the rest of the Content Library section by section, can't find ginevra anywhere.

So I did a search of the Content Library for ginevra and found what appear to be that character's files.   But I can't figure out how to find the folder where these files are stored from the search interface.

"My Library" is not the same location as "My DAZ 3D Library"; it's used for content you save locally on your computer when creating scenes, for example. In DAZ Studio, you would find the new content either in the Content Library under "My DAZ 3D Library" or in Smart Content.