What Determins SIZE of DAZ Studio Scene?

I'm not asking about rendering!  What aspects of one's computer determins how much content you can add into one scene, the number of buildings and human figures and pieces of clothing - and still be able to open the scene, and navigate through the scene with cameras?

Thanks!

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

RAM, RAM and more RAM (Random access memory).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited February 2019

...exactly.  My railway station scene takes 8.9 GB (out of 11 GB [after Windows and utilities]) of system memory when open (not including the Daz programme). It included: 

8 G3 characters with clothing and hair

A large set with the station, platforms, lights, detailed ground, and foliage.

14 emissive light sources 

two train props with reflective surfaces and glass

3 vehicle props

a volumetric "wet" haze.

A wet semi reflective top coat on all horizontal surfaces.

An HDR sky sphere.

That gives me 1.1 GB to work with. (actually less as the Daz programme itself takes up about 300MB when open.

Making camera moves around the setting or moving elements of it is excruciatingly slow, almost to the point I can pretty much get up and put the kettle on for tea and put a crumpet in the toaster before the process is finished. 

It is not just the number of items, it's also certain effects like the haze, and elements like reflectivity, transparency, translucency, (if in Iray) number of emissive lights, and texture details.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,667

How much you can add, is RAM. Wether you can move around, is processor cores and speed I am pretty sure.

• Also moving around smoothly in openGL textured preview (or Iray preview) is slower than in wireframe preview / hidden line, etc.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited February 2019

...yeah but in wireframe it's pretty hard to determine which items you are moving/posing. Now I would switch a large scene to Bounding Box view when rendering to recoup some memory as I didn't have a beefy GPU and thus was rendering in Iray on the CPU. Even so, the process would often dump to swap mode.

In 3DL that doesn't seem to be as much an issue. (though moving around or moving items in a large scene in OpenGL is still sluggish).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • It really depends how the scene was modelled,  how much modelled details versus textured details,   polycounts, whether the models used individual UV mapped textures or tiled textures,   and the size of those textures used.  There are lots of variables at play to determine what you can put into a scene. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

There is this script that might help:

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-memory-assistant

It tells you the amount of system memory that your scene will need and the amount of VRAM needed, if you have a nVidia GPU. Whilst you can always use system utilities to check how much total RAM your scene is taking, this script breaks it down item by item, and tells you how many resources each one is taking up. This tells you which items to concentrate on in order to optimise the memory use. The values reported are not 100% accurate in all situations, but do give a good estimate most of the time.

• I read somewhere that the amount of your computer RAM should be double the memory size of your scene. So I would assume that to mean your computer can safely handle a scene size which uses 50% of your cpu RAM leaving enough to run your OS and other stuff. If you have 8 GB of RAM you should be able to handle a scene size of 4GB using CPU only. Also if you have an NVDIA GPU and plan to render in iray, your CPU memory should be at least double the memory of your GPU.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    TheKD said:

How much you can add, is RAM. Wether you can move around, is processor cores and speed I am pretty sure.

Processor cores is the thing that says "duo core" or "quad core"?  How is the speed of the processor determined?