UV map size

Hi all.

I have recently UV mapped a clothing model and I find that if I fit it neatly into the UV tile in Silo the texture on the model is too large. Using a raw tiling texture this is fine because I can just change the tile amount in Daz Studio and it looks perfect.

My problem however is I am going to be using texture templates made from the exported UV (This doesn´t allow for tiling my texture in Daz Studio as it needs to be 1x1 to fit the template). I have tried tiling the texture externally, resizing, etc but it always shows the same size in Daz Studio.

The texture looks perfect however if I make the UV map larger than the tile its supposed to fit in, but this prevents me from exporting the UV template (you end up with a bit of whatever is lying over the tile at the time).

I hope this makes sense lol. I am using Silo 2.5, Hexagon and Blender. I´m at a loss, any help or tips to send me in the right direction are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Resize (by resampling, bot bu adding blank space around it) the template (if you can't choose the export size) before applying the patterns and details - UVs are relative, not absolute - they don't big the file is, or even about its proportions.

• Resize (by resampling, bot bu adding blank space around it) the template (if you can't choose the export size) before applying the patterns and details - UVs are relative, not absolute - they don't big the file is, or even about its proportions.

I´m a little lost, sorry. I can choose the export size of the UV, but to have the texture tiling the size I would like I need to export it 8192x8192 because the texture I would like reduce by 4 times is already 2048x2048. If I scale that down to 512 then it goes blurry and looses detail. What do you mean by resampling? Sorry I´ve only ever scaled my texture down in Daz Studio itself until now lol.

• If you can export at the desired size then do so - resampling just chnages the pixel count by dividing the existing pixels, so everythinf stays in the same place relative to the image plane (it sounded as if you were using the option to add more canvas, so the template just occupied a square in the middle of the resized image). I'm not clear what you are aiming for, though - if you just want tot ile an image then do so, using a seamless patter. If you want details in specific places then you image needs to be large enough to show those without tiling at the desired resolution. You may want to consider remapping the model, so that the areas in which you want the detail occupy a larger area of the template.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

PineCliff,

In Silo, if you have not already, select the whole mode, all parts, and go to "UVs/Materials > Scale UVs Proportionally"

This will ensure that all parts are to the same scale on the UV map.  Then if you need to, you can divide the model across several UV maps and do 4k or 2k maps for the different parts

• Lots of great tips thanks. I'm going to see how I get along :)
  • Mattymanx said:

PineCliff,

In Silo, if you have not already, select the whole mode, all parts, and go to "UVs/Materials > Scale UVs Proportionally"

This will ensure that all parts are to the same scale on the UV map.  Then if you need to, you can divide the model across several UV maps and do 4k or 2k maps for the different parts

That works thank you, however to get the perfect scale the tile is too small for even 1 island lol.

• PineCliffPineCliff Posts: 30
    edited February 2019

Here is the problem I am getting in pictures.

You can see in picture 1 I have managed to scale the texture the way I like it for the template (Thanks to the advice I got previously).

But when you load the texture onto the model in Silo and Daz Studio, it scales the texture back up again. When I load it in Blender it looks right but still upscales the image again in Daz Studio (I did my UV unwrapping in Silo).

Any ideas? Or is this just the way it goes.

Leggings1.jpg
    2691 x 2116 - 4M
    Leggings2.jpg
    1919 x 1057 - 1M
    Post edited by PineCliff on
  • Are you rendering or going by the preview? DS can't scale the texture up when it's applied to the template.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

It does NOT scale the texture. You have parts of the UV outside the bounds of the tile. Fit them onto the tile.

• Ascania said:

It does NOT scale the texture. You have parts of the UV outside the bounds of the tile. Fit them onto the tile.

They are on the tile, I just zoomed in a shot for the example. Thanks all the same.

• Are you rendering or going by the preview? DS can't scale the texture up when it's applied to the template.

I was using preview, the rendered texture matches the size I was going for. Something as simple as that lol.

Thanks Richard.