Best GPUs for 3D & Video Rendering?

Hello,

I have a hypothetical question. Say that money was not an issue, and I was able to build the beefiest of PCs (Intel & Nvidia), what would be the graphics card I would want? 3D modeling programs being a general outlier, and not specifically to Daz3d

I've done quite a bit of research, and everything points to the newer Titan RTX as the "top" workstation card on the market- some even saying the comparative to the Quadro RTX 8000 is minimal from a specs perspective.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• It would probably be either a Titan, for speed, or a top-of-the-range Quadro, for memory, depending on your priorities. Or of course more than one if money is not object.

• I am planning to buy a laptop with two RTX 2080 cards.  Yes, they make them.  Yes, they are expensive.  No, they don't require a blood or kidney donation. 

I'm also hoping to buy one RTX 2080 TI for my workstation, and to add another in about 6 months.  But the laptop is first on my list.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    edited February 2019

If money is literally no object dual RTX Titans might be very hard to beat if the render engine is GPU accelerated and can pool memory using Nvlink. To the best of my knowledge no render engine can do that just yet although VRay is in development as are others. The only real reason to go with Quadro 8000's would be to get double the VRAM But at that point you haveto ask yourself what are you doing that needs 96Gb video buffers?

Post edited by kenshaw011267 on
  • If money is literally no object dual RTX Titans might be very hard to beat if the render engine is GPU accelerated and can pool memory using Nvlink. To the best of my knowledge no render engine can do that just yet although VRay is in development as are others. The only real reason to go with Quadro 8000's would be to get double the VRAM But at that point you haveto ask yourself what are you doing that needs 96Gb video buffers?

Yeah, at that point, it may be cheaper to just get a class on doing postwork, hah!

• circapunk23circapunk23 Posts: 12
    edited February 2019

Subtropic Pixel what laptop comes with dual RTX 2080?? I am very intrigued. Is it from a system builder or a pre-built unit?

Post edited by circapunk23 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I am planning to buy a laptop with two RTX 2080 cards.  Yes, they make them.  Yes, they are expensive.  No, they don't require a blood or kidney donation. 

I'm also hoping to buy one RTX 2080 TI for my workstation, and to add another in about 6 months.  But the laptop is first on my list.

But it helps?

• I am planning to buy a laptop with two RTX 2080 cards.  Yes, they make them.  Yes, they are expensive.  No, they don't require a blood or kidney donation. 

TBH a dual 2080 lappie is a waste of money. There is simply no way the laptop will be able to cool the cards so they will throttle and likely throttle hard so your performance will be awful. You'll be spending something on the order of $3 or $4k ormore for something that will be outperformed at the task you want it for by much less expensive laptops.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited February 2019

I am planning to buy a laptop with two RTX 2080 cards.  Yes, they make them.  Yes, they are expensive.  No, they don't require a blood or kidney donation. 

TBH a dual 2080 lappie is a waste of money. There is simply no way the laptop will be able to cool the cards so they will throttle and likely throttle hard so your performance will be awful. You'll be spending something on the order of $3 or $4k ormore for something that will be outperformed at the task you want it for by much less expensive laptops.

Hmmm, you say "no way" as if you think you've seen 'em all.  Maybe you have, maybe you haven't.

SkyX9C

Desktop components, i9 processor, up to 128 GB RAM, two GPUs if you want, and some ungodly amount of SSD/HDD space capable.  Completely modular, completely upgradable.  Massive enclosure with a sensible heat shunting design (you'll want to look at the pics of the heatsinks/radiators).  Yes, expensive.  And needs 2 AC adapters for 2 GPUs.  But this is definitely doable.

That rig isn't yet certified for the 20xx cards, but I'm told they're working on that.  And the next model down, the X7, is certified; though only has a single GPU.  But that X7 model would also be an excellent choice, and would be more economical.  I'm just waiting for the X9C to be RTX 20xx certified and prices to be set before I decide.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on