Making some extra doe selling your Book Covers

Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
edited February 2019 in Art Studio

Have any of you created book covers for either of these two websites. One of them mentions that they accept computer graphic 3D artwork, so I assume they would accept Daz Studio, Carrara, and Bryce renders.

The Book Cover Designer (TBCD)
https://thebookcoverdesigner.com/cover-artist-guide/

Self Pub Bookcovers.com
https://selfpubbookcovers.com/

Post edited by Retro Lad on

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yup, I use both. Self Pub is a bit more strict on what they accept but its not really to do with it being 3d, she just has much stricter rules on wahts acceptable and there is a specific template and fonts that are required to be used. Book Cover Designer is much less rigid.

• Sonja,

Thanks for your comments.  I meant to post this question in The Commons but I accidentally posted here.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

No  Your thread was moved here,  because most of the threads on book covers are here. 

• Chohole,

Good news and Thanks.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,799

I#m trying to get my feet wet with this as well, still waiting to get a cover accepted by TBCD though, meh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Linwelly said:

I#m trying to get my feet wet with this as well, still waiting to get a cover accepted by TBCD though, meh

Just keep checking your sellers page inventory, you won't actually get any notice that its accetped.  The book cover will just switch from saying pending to in stock

Linwelly said:

Just keep checking your sellers page inventory, you won't actually get any notice that its accetped.  The book cover will just switch from saying pending to in stock

Yeah DeathbyCanon said so as well, though, some have been pending the since beginning of February, so I might heve to redo something about them

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

Not familiar with these sites, but wouldn't you need to know the content of the book before you design its cover?

• Saidge42Saidge42 Posts: 129
    edited February 2019
    Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

Yeah DeathbyCanon said so as well, though, some have been pending the since beginning of February, so I might heve to redo something about them

it's not necessarily anything that you have to do with your covers.  I've had experience with them and ultimately left.  I uploaded a whole bunch and they started selling pretty well there, then, all of a sudden my covers weren't moving from the pending stage.  when I questioned them about it (some sat for weeks), I was told that 3D art isn't what people want and they would only post a few of mine at a time and not to expect much (even though they were selling, lol), and was tols that they won't promote 3D covers they way they do others.  essentially, what it comes down to is that they don't like 3D art and I was told that 3D "art" is basically just letting the computer do the work - they want their website selling pieces from "actual working artists". they like photomanipulations, and don't consider what we do to be art (shrug)

Post edited by Saidge42 on
  • Saidge42,   " I was told that 3D art isn't what people want and they would only post a few of mine at a time and not to expect much (even though they were selling, lol),"

Oh no, I was worried about that 3D art "bashing" attitude popping up. The second website I listed "Self Pub Bookcovers.com" mentions 3D art in one of their template pages in an accepting manner. So maybe they are the way to go with this.

Oh no, I was worried about that 3D art "bashing" attitude popping up. The second website I listed "Self Pub Bookcovers.com" mentions 3D art in one of their template pages in an accepting manner. So maybe they are the way to go with this.

they may very well be the way to go!  I haven't had any dealings with Self Pub, so I can't speak about their policies.  I wish you the best of luck with all of it!!

• philebusphilebus Posts: 241

If the site's gatekeepers aren't keen on 3D renders, have you considered post-working images for a painted effect? For some examples, you might want to check the 'Rosity galleries for Mikeall (Mike Fyles) and Tanarel. With the right combination of filters and brushes, you can avoid the rendered look altogether. It would mean developing a different skillset but if that's where the business is... It's also a lot easier than you might think.

edited February 2019
    Saidge42 said:

it's not necessarily anything that you have to do with your covers.  I've had experience with them and ultimately left.  I uploaded a whole bunch and they started selling pretty well there, then, all of a sudden my covers weren't moving from the pending stage.  when I questioned them about it (some sat for weeks), I was told that 3D art isn't what people want and they would only post a few of mine at a time and not to expect much (even though they were selling, lol), and was tols that they won't promote 3D covers they way they do others.  essentially, what it comes down to is that they don't like 3D art and I was told that 3D "art" is basically just letting the computer do the work - they want their website selling pieces from "actual working artists". they like photomanipulations, and don't consider what we do to be art (shrug)

If the covers you made look anything similar to what I usually see from you I'm rather surprised as that really doesn't have the typical 3D look to it. And I've seen some rather obvious 3D and DAZ content covers offered there.

Did you move on to another place or just stopped altogether?

And I want to see who can tell this one to be a 3d work ;) (had to place ma logo on her for safety, got artwork stolen from her before)

Look1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 382K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,384
    edited February 2019

As with most endeavors the gatekeepers have the decision making power.  Saidge42 has a great compelling art style.  Its unfortunate they chose to treat you that way.  Cause I think your work would make fantastic book covers.

If a gatekeeper has a bias that's a problem hard to overcome.  But perhaps they just have a biased viewpoint  based on what they know about their market which expect to purchase. Its obvious that some of the book cover just sit there  and never get purchased.  So perhaps the bias also lies with the end purhaser (the author) They just can't overcome the uncanny valley.  Or further still,  the author purchases a cover,  but then that book doesn't sell with that cover,  because the final end user (the reader)  passes over the book cause it looks too 3D and they're dealing with the uncanny valley at that level. 

The biggest problem is we as 3D users have become numb to the uncanny valley.  We have stared at so many pictures we don't notice it or atleast it doesn't give the same visceral reaction. Bottom line. Try to make the art look as un-3D as possible.  Post work,  use stock photo live models mixed with 3D backgrounds for example,  or hide faces, use layer blending,  all sorts of options...

I had some book cover art up there.  But not much sell through. 

Give it a try.  See what happens. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on

@Linwelly  thank you so much!  it's been about a year since I had anything over there, so perhaps things have changed - I can't say.  but ultimately, it was a bad experience with that one site.  regardless, as is said above, it's their site, so they have the say, and that's fine.  at the moment I've been posting them myself on my own site and various other art gallery platforms listing my works as available for covers and digital prints, and that hasn't been working too badly.  I mean, there's always room for improvement, so I'm always on the look out for new places!!  Oh, and that render is just STUNNING!! I can see why you needed your logo placement! beautiful :D

@FirstBastion  thank you so very much for kind words - they are truly appreciated!! (big fan, btw - love your stuff!), but yes, I do agree with you about the numbing effect, and yes defintely in some cases I can totally see it, which is one reason why I do so much postwork.  I know that at TBCD there are a number of people who take care of cover intake and approval, so perhaps I just ended up with someone who, as you say, can't get passed it.  Being that the site is free, I would tell people to try and see - ultimately there's nothing to lose.  if they have better luck then I did there, that would be great!!