Light blocking camera in Iray Render

How do I prevent lights blocking the camera in a render, they sometimes render as a dark object and other times they just block the render as if they were physical objects in the scene.

Thank you.

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

The only time a light could be visible in a render (not render-preview), is if it's something physical like an emmisive object. All other lights should be invisible and not be able to block cameras.

• Photometric lights will be visible in an Iray render if you give them a geometry other than 'Point'.  You will have to move the light out of shot or move your camera so it isn't blocked, like you would in photography.  An emissive object with a very low value e.g. 0.001 for Cutout Opacity is almost invisible whilst still emitting.

• Render Emitter, in the light's parameters, can be set Off to hide it from direct view. It will still show if viewed indirectly (in relfections, or through another surface) however.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited February 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Move the camera or the light. Photographers deal with the aspect all the time.

• Thanks for your help, all this makes sense.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    HorusRa said:

And don't forget; if you have a light a ways away but yet somewhat around the camera and you increase the lights 'Height' and 'Width' values, this will block the camera (usually showing black) if the light is closer to the object your lighting than the camera, e.g., light is in front of camera but off to one side. In this particular case it is corrected by simply reducing the height and width. Pobably not something you need to reduce unless you have raised it from it's default value.

Remember that changing height and width also changes the shadow definition. The main reason for increasing height/width is to get softer shadows. My default light is usually a disc or square at around 50x50 or larger, so for me it's better to move the light.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited February 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on