Can someone tell me what may have happened?

ViallyVially Posts: 343
edited February 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Trying to make a hoody type of clothing piece,.

have been shaping the hole for the head through a basic box shape, to get a starting point of a "poncho" type of fit. Take it into DAZ, add dForce run a simulation, everything is fine. Wash rince repeat while I start sculpting the basic box in Hex.

I am basically working on the box in a .1 thickness, saving as OBJ, import into DAZ, apply dForce, and simulate to see how it falls and fits.

This is working great, no issues.. then I say, okay I need more Polys here so it folds better. In Hex I use the Tesselate to split existing planes. Export to OBJ, pull it back into Daz add the dForce, simulate and BOOM.....

At exactly 3% of the simulation the "Poncho" dissapears, geometry is gone, NOTHING i have done will bring the geometry back, if I try to render I get a blank scene, even G8F doesn't render.

The "Poncho" and G8F are in the scene still, if I clear the simulation, the Poncho pops right back to where it started at import point, and I can add materials, move it around whatever, try to run simulation, BOOM, gone again...

Image 1 is what it looks like at import into DAZ, 2 is what it looks like in Hex.

To add to this, i am NOT making any changes to the Poncho object when I import it into Daz. I am 100% using the default dForce settings. The idea being that the poncho fits on the default G8F, using the default dForce, and  then can be added to from there.

Poncho-01.png
632 x 584 - 79K
Poncho-02.png
952 x 526 - 84K
Post edited by Vially on

Comments

• dForce is not, I think, keen on double-sided items - which is what you have, as I understand it. You may also need to increase the iterations to handle a denser mesh in general.

• ViallyVially Posts: 343

Okay, so a double sided item I can understand that dForce would not like; however, this has been working fine all morning, (about 4 hours now, yes, I am that slow.)

Would the iterations make the object completely disappear?

Changing iterations to 64 (double the default) did nothing to resolve.

I did however remove the "thickness" to the poncho, and that appears to have resolved for now, will have to try to figure out how to get it back, since it WAS here and WAS working; however, this will allow me to move forward.

thank you.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,656

One thing to check for is that you have no double vertexes. That will usually cause dforce to fail.

How do I check for double vertexes?

• felisfelis Posts: 3,656

I do not know Hex, but I would assume it has that kind of function. Double vertexes migth be the result of a failed extrude operation during modelling.

I am only using Blender, and from there I know it is essential to remove any such double vertexes.

Dforce requires that your mesh is kind of regular.

At this point the modeling has gone to a "no thickness" model. Seems to be working okay for now, have other things that I am trying to overcome at this point.

Thanks for the help though.