I've got snow in my render when there should not be any!

Hello DAZ Gurus and nice people who know tons more than I do about 3D...

I've come across this problem before and was wondering if you all have too (I'm sure you have).   Every once in a while I get all of these tiny shiny spots in my render and they drive me crazy!

I think it is a Reflectivity issue though....  I have included a Attached File to show you all exactly what it is...

I'd really appreciate you all's help and I'm so glad that you all are very willing to do just that.

Please help me fix this issue and thank you so much for considering what my problem is and perhaps offereing a solution.

cc copy.jpg
1088 x 594 - 808K

Comments

• squirtsquirt Posts: 150
    edited February 2019

mcjcasual has a freebie that may help with that: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/91071/mcjdespeckle-pcwin-app-remove-fireflies-in-iray-new-daz-studio-frontend#latest

I just looked at this guy's solution that you gave me...   OH MY GOD! This problem is that bad?

Does DAZ have a plan to take care of this debacle????      Should I try to add more light to the render?  Or try and lower the glossiness of the armor the guys are wearing to get rid of these light specks that way?

Post edited by squirt on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,258
    squirt said:

I just looked at this guy's solution that you gave me...   OH MY GOD! This problem is that bad?

Does DAZ have a plan to take care of this debacle????      Should I try to add more light to the render?  Or try and lower the glossiness of the armor the guys are wearing to get rid of these light specks that way?

Not so much "that bad" as crops up under very specific situations, software, and computer... but, yes, light your scene brighter and adjust in post ...

edited February 2019
    nemesis10 said:
    squirt said:

Not so much "that bad" as crops up under very specific situations, software, and computer... but, yes, light your scene brighter and adjust in post ...

So you are saying use much more light in the scene and the fire flies will disappear?     I will try that next then and thank you for the advice.

I do hope that they work on that weird bug for the next version of DAZ though.. It does seem to crop up quite often.

Post edited by squirt on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@squirt "I think it is a Reflectivity issue though"

Whay would you think it's a reflectivity issue? The noise is widely distributed across the scene. This looks like a classic case of not enough light. If you want a darker scene, add more lights to elimiate the noise, then use Tone Mapping to get the overall effect you want.

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    edited February 2019

That is not noise, they are fireflies. I don't think adding more light will solve anything.

Post edited by Rafmer on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

A simple solution that works for me in 4.10:

Render Settings > Draw Dome = On

Fixes the firefly bug for me (which will probably no longer be a bug in 4.11, if I had to guess).

• Adding more light and/or increasing the length of the render solves this pretty much every time.

Increasing the size of the light emitter geometry might be the solution too.

• Rafmer said:

That adds more light.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

I'm not 100% convinced that these are actually fireflies. Fireflies tend to be confined to particular parts of the image, where they are caused by interactions between particular material and light settings and therefore only affect certain objects in the scene. These are evenly scattered across the entire scene. If you save your image as a png are these artifacts transparent?

These two thread might help.

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/183041/strange-transparent-dots-in-iray

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176756/script-apply-dual-lobe-features-to-pre-lobe-g3-skins/p3

Rafmer said:

That adds more light.

It doesn't. In fact, it reduces the overall brightness of the scene.

• ? Maybe we mean different things. If you have an emmissive surface increasing its size will produce more light.

edited February 2019

? Maybe we mean different things. If you have an emmissive surface increasing its size will produce more light.

We weren't talking about the same light. Increasing the geometry size of a spotlight without changing the lumens value will decrease brightness. That's what I meant. Spotlights using a point as light source may cause that kind of fireflies or whatever it's called.

Post edited by Rafmer on
  • ? Maybe we mean different things. If you have an emmissive surface increasing its size will produce more light.

I can't check at the moment, but as I recall emissive surfaces can have per m^2 or absolute Luminosity units. Light nodes have only absolute units.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

True this. 

? Maybe we mean different things. If you have an emmissive surface increasing its size will produce more light.

I can't check at the moment, but as I recall emissive surfaces can have per m^2 or absolute Luminosity units. Light nodes have only absolute units.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited February 2019

I get this all the time from output finished renders in iRAY.  I'm currently doing promos and so I export in PNG to do combo stuff in Photoshop. 

So what I do to fix things is import into PS, since it's a PNG the background will be transparent, I click the wand tool and click in the transparent area, select, invert and create a second copy of the image.  Go up to Filters and use the Gaussian blur tool.  Set that to about 4 or 5, that should blur those troublesome bits out.  What using the Magic Wand tool does is encapsulate the blur so it's not creating a feathered out effect! Take the blurred image, move the layer below the original and then Merge Down.  No more fireflys. 

Now if your saving out as a JPG then I don't know what to suggest.  

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited February 2019

Thank you all so much for the talk and suggestions about this issue...  It was a process of elimination troubleshoot that solved the problem.

The way I used to get rid of the glowing pixels that I called snow above was to go into Photoshop and eliminate them one by one which took forever!..  Increasing light or letting a scene render for 24 solid hours would not eliminate all them either, It woud get many of them but not all..  And in other cases it wouldn't remove any of them.  So something to ponder on for those who suggested that this might be a fix to it.  It is not or at best a half measure.

I've had the dots show up as dark spots too..  I don't want to speculate on what it is within Iray exactly because I don't truly know..

I was using Terra Dome 3 as my background in this situation  if this helps people with a starting point.

Nemesis10 above said this and it appears to be very true in this situation:  "Not so much "that bad" as crops up under very specific situations, software, and computer... but, yes, light your scene brighter and adjust in post ..."

I tried lowering the glossiness of the armor that the People were wearing in the scene and this made no difference.

I tried making a new scene and using one figure with the armor with the Terra Dome 3 and the entire regular Atmosphere included in order to see if I could replicate the issue and the problem did not crop up leading me to back to the Nemesis10 statement which leads me to believe this is a very strange situation that perhaps is best left for the programmers to figure out but....

What I did to fix the problem was I simply tossed the entire sky which is the TB3_Atmosphere portion of Terra Dome 3 and replaced the lighting with Distant Lights... True, I lost my pretty sky with clouds and replaced it with a dull bright blue one but such was my levels of desparation to get rid of them. 

That was what eliminated the glowing spots..   If this means that it is a light source or Dome issue I'm not sure.. I  only know that the atmosphere was the culprit in some capacity.  As to what extent, I'd be way out of my depth once again to speculate.   Once again, something for the programmers to figure out someday I hope.

Again, thank you all so much for your extremely insightful suggestions and speculations..  I truly hope that DAZ fixes this bug in the next update or in one of the near future.

Post edited by squirt on
  • ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

If you have photoshop it could be simpler to load your pic in and use the despeckle and/or dust and scratches filter rather than use mcasuals script thing

TD3 Atmosphere is not the sky and light source of TD3, it is a dust particles layer to simulate haze, fog, that kind of things. So, it is posible that those white spots were just that; dust particles.

The skies from TD3 are listed under render-setting in the product and they are labeled ending with sky.

• I use despecle in Photoshop too.  It clears all the problems 99% of the time.  Anything that's left can be knocked out with a brush.  I imagine Gimp can do it too.  Rerendering with different light settings takes longer than just throwing it in Photoshop.