(SOLVED) OT: Chrome- Force link to open in existing tab and not new?

Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
edited October 2013 in The Commons

I know all of the tricks and such about opening links into a new tab (ctrl-click, middle click, shift-middle click, etc), but what about links that already carry the target="_blank" tag in the html that force open a new tab/window natively? I'd like to stop some of these new tab forcing links.

For example, on a product's readme page, click the link to go to the actual product page. It will force open a new tab rather than using the existing tab.

Anybody know of a way/hotkey combo to force new tabs to open in the existing one?

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on

Comments

• HastyDaveHastyDave Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I know all of the tricks and such about opening links into a new tab (ctrl-click, middle click, shift-middle click, etc), but what about links that already carry the target="_blank" tag in the html that force open a new tab/window natively? I'd like to stop some of these new tab forcing links.

For example, on a product's readme page, click the link to go to the actual product page. It will force open a new tab rather than using the existing tab.

Anybody know of a way/hotkey combo to force new tabs to open in the existing one?

There's an extension in the Chrome web store called Death to _blank that looks like it will do the job.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

That's perfect! It works just as intended and doesn't override shortcuts for when I do want a new tab. Thanks!