Who do aiko 4 and hiro 4/ miceal 4 and victoria 4 use so much memory in daz studio 4??????????

edited December 1969 in The Commons

In daz studio 3 the figures with clothing and hair plus loaded morphs only used around 500 MB at max,in daz studio 4 they each 1 GB of memory at minimum!!! why is this happening??!

Comments

• JazzminJazzmin Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

... maybe DAZ... um.... screwed up DAZ Studio. LOL
    and... maybe you need to update your machine?
    or try clearing your cache, clearing your cookies and restarting your browser LOL
    It will still use the same amount of memory, but your new machine will be able to handle it. :cheese:

Seriously, because the Gen4 figures were not originally made for DS4. The Gen4 figures call up morphs before they load even if you did not inject the morph. Depends on how many morph packages you have installed, therefore the size will vary.

Try loading the Gen4 figure in poser, inject all the morphs and save it. Make sure that Poser is set up to create PMD files, which makes the figure a lot lighter. Then load this figure in DS4, it might help a little, especially when you load more than one figure at a time as the PMD will only be called up once no matter how many of the same figure you load. I'm not a DS user, but I assume DS supports PMD files, if not, well, I'm afraid you're screwed and not in a good way... LOL

Alternatively, if it's really bad, start removing inject packs, except the important ones, for example Morphs ++ and Elite morphs, which would reduce the size of the figure.

Hope this helps.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Could it be the fact that DS4 includes all the plugins that you may not have in DS3. Could it be that Genesis loads all the morphs at start even if you are not using it? The more you have the more it loads genesis wise. Then you load a high mesh count figure on top of all that over head that is already loaded? If the figure has a powerloader injecting morphs at load that also adds to the over head. Looks about right to me. The DS4 readme states the minimum ram needed and it is much higher than DS3's ram footprint.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

This may sound a bit shallow and superficial, but why even continue to bother with Gen 4 at this point? Sure, you need them to transfer exclusive morphs to Genesis via Gen X, however, the Gen 4 Iconic Shapes are much more efficient and take up much less space.

Again, sorry to sound shallow, Its just that ever since I joined the Gen 4 Genesis cult, I never had to worry about things like this anymore.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Simple, mil4 figures are much easier to work with and are compatible with more apps then genesis. You will also find far more content for the mill4 figures then genesis.

Some of us don't have the buckets of money falling out our that it takes to work with genesis. I like genesis but simply can't afford to work with it.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm with you ManStan. Gen 4 figures are my goto characters. I only buy Genesis stuff when it's on a UBER sale and I really really want it. All my genesis stuff has been Plat Club sales, that's the only way I can afford them. And even then it normaily wipes out all my 3D budget for the whole month.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited June 2012

ManStan said:
    Simple, mil4 figures are much easier to work with and are compatible with more apps then genesis. You will also find far more content for the mill4 figures then genesis.

Some of us don't have the buckets of money falling out our that it takes to work with genesis. I like genesis but simply can't afford to work with it.

Maybe right now where so much has yet to be updated for DS4. Of course Gen 4 has more support than Genesis by default, Gen 5 is still very early in it's game. Even if that's not the case, don't forget that Genesis has Auto-Fit, and while not perfect, has allowed me to mix and match more outfits from Gen 4 (and Gen 3) than ever before.

But yeah, I completely understand you. Not everyone can dish out for the higher priced items. Not even I can half the time. X_X

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited June 2012

How much memory a figure uses is not a constant, it varies. You have a core of the figure+morphs, and really need to count figures and items of clothing separately towards an overall figure , not just lump them together, a complex item of clothing with its own set of morphs can add up to a significant figure in its own right - you can't assume all dressed figures are similar in size. Then the textures are brought in, as space is available, and if memory is too limited, they're paged in and out of memory as they are used.

How much memory DS4 allocates to a figure in comparison to DS3 isn't really a significant question, because it isn't a fixed answer in either, the question that matters is whether DS4 and DS3 can handle the same number of figures at once. There's also the question of whether they handle morphs in the same manner, you could specify all the morphs you liked for a Gen 4 figure in DS3, that didn't mean they would actually all be loaded. I forget what the cut-out figure was - something in the 200s? - but anything after that just wouldn't be loaded. I don't know whether those limits are handled identically in DS4, whether it has any facility to page morphs in or out, but that could also greatly affect memory usage between DS3 and 4 and without necessarily affecting the number of figures you can use. You're delving into depths of programme structure and design philosophy that a lot of the previous answers just haven't considered and I'm deliberately raising questions rather than giving questions because I don't know the answers. I'd say you really need to take this question to the Studio Discussion forum, where you're more likely to find someone who does know the specifics of how these factors interact.

I'll agree with ManStan that Gen 4 figures have wider compatibility, but considering DS4 only that isn't an issue and I'll absolutely disagree with him that Gen 4 figures are easier to work with than Genesis. Yes, there is a cost to buying all of the Genesis stuff, but you simply don't need to do that. You can have Genesis for the asking, add GenX for a little over $30 and you can bring pretty much all of your Gen 4 content over to Genesis. I haven't stopped using Gen 4 figures, for that matter I never stopped using Gen 3 figures either, but nowadays I do need to find a reason to use them over Genesis (needing a teen is a pretty good example).

Post edited by DWG on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I saw the same issue recently but with Kioki for A3 instead. In DS3 the character with clothes does not consume more then 300-500mb of RAM but in DS4 (4.0.3.47) Kioki alone consumed 5GB+ The more I played with the morph dials, the higher it went.

ps, no I am NOT updating to DS4.5 though if anyone else has Kioki and want to try it, please go ahead