V4 Dress fix?

Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
edited May 2012 in The Commons

I have been trying to solve why an imported dress Obj rigged to Genesis bends fine between the legs but distorts when converting that same library item using transfer utility. So I did a little test. I did the normal transfer utility method of the trench coat, and I did another by exporting it as an obj and re-importing it and applying the same transfer utility method. I moved the leg and noticed that the obj trenchcoat had no distortions or tearing. Now in theory they both have the same groupings. This was confirmed when I opened the Polygon group editor. All the groups were exactly the same. However, the amount of polygons assigned to each group was different. Now I am thinking that if I can copy the polygon group values from the obj to my normal transferred item, I can have the fix from the obj and still have all my item morphs on the other item. The probelm is, I have no idea how to copy the values of one item in the Polygon Group editor to another item. If this can be achieved then the solution to that dreaded tearing on long dresses might be solved. Maybe the option is there, I just cant find it. Or if somebody can write a script to allow copying then that would be nice. I'm curious to know if this will work but until I can copy the values my testing has come to a halt.

Image removed by a moderator till resized...please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/123/#849

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I have been trying to solve why an imported dress Obj rigged to Genesis bends fine between the legs but distorts when converting that same library item using transfer utility. So I did a little test. I did the normal transfer utility method of the trench coat, and I did another by exporting it as an obj and re-importing it and applying the same transfer utility method. I moved the leg and noticed that the obj trenchcoat had no distortions or tearing. Now in theory they both have the same groupings. This was confirmed when I opened the Polygon group editor. All the groups were exactly the same. However, the amount of polygons assigned to each group was different. Now I am thinking that if I can copy the polygon group values from the obj to my normal transferred item, I can have the fix from the obj and still have all my item morphs on the other item. The probelm is, I have no idea how to copy the values of one item in the Polygon Group editor to another item. If this can be achieved then the solution to that dreaded tearing on long dresses might be solved. Maybe the option is there, I just cant find it. Or if somebody can write a script to allow copying then that would be nice. I'm curious to know if this will work but until I can copy the values my testing has come to a halt.

Image removed by a moderator till resized...please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/123/#849

OK coping poly groups isn't going to fix it, those days are out with genesis. It's a weight mapped figure so poly groups have no bearing on it. Unfortunately you have to fix it with the weight map tool it's a slow task at the best of times and it takes a fair bit of practice to master but once you get you're head around it, it's not too bad. I would suggest getting Blondie's tutorial to get a better idea sorry not much help, but you won't be bashing your head against a brick wall trying to fix it with poly groups.