Misty's G8 Fix-How do Install it?

I am trying to use Misty's G8 for `Carrara. I got the beta files and put them in "My Daz Library". It won't open in Carrara due to a missing .dsf file.  I then found Misty's G8 Character Pre-set and down loaded it but can't find it on my mac. 

Do I only need the Character Preset?

Where do I put the files?

Does Misty's G8 also fix G3?

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,696
    edited February 2019

Have you got the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Female & Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Male installed ?

They need to be installed as Misty's presets need them installed.

I am on Windoze so I can't help with Specific Mac install information.

To install put them in the :-  My DAZ3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Female or Genesis 8 male.

I installed them both to a custom folder :-  My DAZ3D Library/People/Genesis 8 Carrara

For G3 you will need to search for Janette and Johnathon Carrara by MistyLaraCarrara over Renderosity you will find an answer to the G3 usage in Carrara.

Clothing and Hair for G3/G8 will need to be converted to blended weight in DAZ Sudio. http://carraracafe.com/?s=carrarActor

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • barrieMbarrieM Posts: 282

Many thanks Buny. I do have Genesis 8 starter essentials installed. Both male and female have  "basic" and "dev" icons. What is the "dev" file?

I found Janette and Johnathon Carrara for $12. I certainly don't mind paying. I initially found a link on the forum for some free downloads so I now assume I will not need them.

The notes on renderosity say HD morphs don't work. Does this mean it can't be posed? Will it accept pose presets?

Is there a tutorial for converting weight in Daz studio? I don't know what weight means although I have heard of it numerous times.

Thank you for your very quick reply to my post.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited February 2019

if you are one of those who won't use DAZ studio you can use notepad to open the duf and change the binding node to Blended

Capture.JPG
    694 x 810 - 74K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I do use Daz Studio but still a novice. I don't have Notepad on my Mac. Tried Text edit but it won't read .duf files.

• going to edit, rigging, weightmapping, and changing to blended weight the best way to do this in DAZ studio

then save a scene subset of the clothing

Thank you Wendy. That is straight forward. Just found Misty's video. Thanks for your help.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,696
    barrieM said:

Thank you Wendy. That is straight forward. Just found Misty's video. Thanks for your help.

Hope the video helps you out !!!!

Yes it did. I am currently installing the files and looking forward to using G3 and G8 in Carrara. I allmost abandoned Carrara when I wrecklessly went over to DS and Blender as a complete beginner. 

It's a damn shame that Daz appears to have abandoned Carrara.

Thanks again for your help.

Got G3 to load OK. Genesis and G2 starter essentials contents show up OK under the Smart content tab. G3 starter essentials folder shows up but there are no contents. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

OOPS! I see Misty has 6 more video's. I think the answere may be there.

• barrieM said:

Got G3 to load OK. Genesis and G2 starter essentials contents show up OK under the Smart content tab. G3 starter essentials folder shows up but there are no contents. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

don't bother with smart content in Carrara, its borked

just use the content browser

add your DAZ library as well as your Poser runtimes

Thanks Wendy

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    barrieM said:

Many thanks Buny. I do have Genesis 8 starter essentials installed. Both male and female have  "basic" and "dev" icons. What is the "dev" file?

I found Janette and Johnathon Carrara for $12. I certainly don't mind paying. I initially found a link on the forum for some free downloads so I now assume I will not need them.

The notes on renderosity say HD morphs don't work. Does this mean it can't be posed? Will it accept pose presets?

Is there a tutorial for converting weight in Daz studio? I don't know what weight means although I have heard of it numerous times.

Thank you for your very quick reply to my post.

pose controls work.  heirarchal pose presets has some troubles.  like poses that pose the figure and the weapon at the same time. the poses with the essentials work fine.  by HD , meaning the morphs for subd level characters. those are in a proprietary format for daz studio.  there's rumours of an HD plugin in the works   There is a plug in to handle displacement maps!! Phong

I am about to give up and go back to DS. I can't get G3 and G8 essential starters into Carrara. Some files are buried over 10 folders deep. According to Misty, I believe I have to move data files.  I have always had difficulty with Carrara content, mainly due to my lack of understanding of the file heirarchy.. I thought Misty had a pdf file but I can't find it, if it exists. She (or he) put a lot of work into the video's as well as the conversion so I will make one more attempt tomorrow.  

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

There's no need to move any content,.

ALL Carrara content (scenes or items made specifically for Carrara) are different from any DAZ3D "content"

You don't need to install the genesis stuff into carrara

The Genesis stuff should show up in the "Smart content " section of the browser, from your Daz Library

Daz3D and Poser "libraries or Runtimes" should show up in the "content" Carrara Browser window (see pics)

So, you only need to install your Daz3d products into the Daz3d library

you load your content into carrara from the browser by double clicking.

Hope it helps :)

cc.jpg
    780 x 613 - 202K
    SC.jpg
    921 x 834 - 394K

Thank you 3DAGE. I have no problem with Genesis and Genesis 2 in Carrara. I have been trying to get Genesis 3 to show up in Carrara. I succeeded with the basic model of G3 with the help of Misty's "Janette and Jonathon" product. However some fairly complicated juggling of files is required for the model to work with G3 assets. I will now stick with G2 and Carrara. I enjoyed using DS but I prefer Carrara despite its quirks.

its the face rigging on g3 that makes it worthwhile toy.  can flap ears, move eyelids, lips,  cheeks, brows all with the bones.  give a character a hook nose, orlando bloom cheekbones. smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    barrieM said:

I enjoyed using DS but I prefer Carrara despite its quirks.

Me too. I can see that Daz Studio has really become a powerful force indeed, but I still like Carrara better than anything else on my computer. Carrara and PD Howler are the best purchases I've made towards this whole endeavor of 3D art.

Don't worry barrieM, it took all of us a bit to get used to things. Carrara is such a vast junction of corridors leading to endless possibilities that it can be easy to get a little lost - even after a bunch of practice. But just hang in there and keep experimenting. In no time, a lot of the things that don't make any sense now wil become second-nature to you - because you'll figure out how to make sense of it - in most cases by asking questions! ;)

Sometimes questions can be answered much quicker and more to the point that helps most, if one includes some screen shots of what the problem is. I'm not talking about 'this' thread's issue, but just in general. Like, I'll do a screen shot, take that into a image editor (PD Hower, in my case) and cut out the part I'm talking about, paint in an arrow or two and some text, whatever helps explain my question better. Next thing I know (often only minutes later) someone else comments with a screen shot of what I need to do. It's awesome!

Another thing I did that I'm really happy that I did, is to print out the entire User's Manual! Yikes, I know. It's over 800 pages - but I did it! Sometimes I'll just get my eyes away from the computer and sit down with this massive tome (gigantic three-ring binder) and look up a topic. It's very well written, I think. In that process, I often find other topics that catch my eye. I've learned a lot that way - things I didn't even know existed in Carrara. Absolutely enjoyable reading - written to be an easy, and very understandable read. 

You'll see... we'll teach you stuff that'll have you rendering what you want. Drag stuff right from your imagination into 3d digital realization! :)

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

Really nice Renders Dart,  one question tho, does your girl ever smile?

edited February 2019
    ProPose said:

Really nice Renders Dart,  one question tho, does your girl ever smile?

Yup. When I'm around! :)

...or just having fun!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited February 2019

wink

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Thanks Dartanbeck for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I've had carrara from the start of its birth as "Ray dream designer" (or was it another name). Although I have had Carrara (and Poser) for a very long time, I never really advanced beyond novice status.   My interest is real world art and I use Carrara only to set up scenes that I can paint on Canvas. Fairly recently, I got interested in Genesis characters, lighting and rendering purely for setting up scenes that I can paint. Scenes that would be very difficult and expensive to set up in the real world. In my quest for perfection I have tried Blender, Poser, Daz Studio and Carrara. For my needs, Carrara is the best compromise (speaking as a hobbyist). If Daz no longer supports Carrara, they should give it away to passionate users like yourself who will keep it alive.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

hey DB,

you might find friends in your sci-fi world:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/720086/

laugh

hey DB,

you might find friends in your sci-fi world:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/720086/

laugh

Very cool render! Thanks for sharing!

barrieM said:

Thanks Dartanbeck for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I've had carrara from the start of its birth as "Ray dream designer" (or was it another name). Although I have had Carrara (and Poser) for a very long time, I never really advanced beyond novice status.   My interest is real world art and I use Carrara only to set up scenes that I can paint on Canvas. Fairly recently, I got interested in Genesis characters, lighting and rendering purely for setting up scenes that I can paint. Scenes that would be very difficult and expensive to set up in the real world. In my quest for perfection I have tried Blender, Poser, Daz Studio and Carrara. For my needs, Carrara is the best compromise (speaking as a hobbyist). If Daz no longer supports Carrara, they should give it away to passionate users like yourself who will keep it alive.

That's where I remember you from! Yeah... seems like a long time ago (to me) since we've spoke. I recognized you, but couldn't place it. It's been a weird, long time for me away from social internet.

I'm just wondering if perhaps my little GI (global illumination) experiment might help in your endeavors. Maybe worth a try?

• ChrisSerketChrisSerket Posts: 202
    edited March 2020

I have a friend who bought Carrara (for window) and has the same problems that BarrieM initially published, despite having ensured that everything is installed in the correct folder, and that genesis 8 both female and male work perfectly in Daz Studio.
    What can be the fault?
    PS: If I'm posting for him, he asked me because he was removed from the forum for reasons that I don't know.

EDIT:
    This says it appears: 

Warning: file /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf could not be found
    Warning: file /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf could not be found
    Error: node /data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf#Genesis8Female not found

I just tried this with a trial version of Carrara 8.5 that I got in one of the Daz forums, and the same thing happens to my friend when following the steps mentioned above.
    If it works and you will notice (during this trial period) that the Carrara animation system is much better with genesis 8 female than that of Daz Studio, I will be glad to pay for Carrara.

Post edited by ChrisSerket on

usually missing .dsf means the content folder is not setup in the expected folder path,.

DS screenshot,  Converting rigging

Edit, Figure, Rigging, Concverrt ...

• ChrisSerketChrisSerket Posts: 202
    edited March 2020

But simply my friend and I are trying to load your figure (without any change).
    No extra requirements are needed?
     I ask because in the edited text file, I saw something that said VERONICA

{

"file_version" : "0.6.0.0",

"asset_info" : {

"id" : "/0%20Genesis%208%20Carrara/Veronica%20Wr8th.duf",

Edit:
    I attach the respective directories in my case in an image.

XD.png
    828 x 756 - 74K
    Post edited by ChrisSerket on