New Smith Micro "La Femme" base figure for Poser at Rendo

13»

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    Greybro said:

Cracked Rearview Mirror.

if you are referring to my first ever attempt at using the fitting room yes work needs to be done, I am aware the mesh scrunches a bit but I don't use Poser much and never rigged anything in it.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Anyone working on converting her for Daz Studio?

I suspect that would be a non-trivial job, especially if she uses the new weightmapping system Poser's been using for the last several versions. This is incompatible with earlier Poser versions, and also incompatible with the weightmapping used in DAZ|Studio. The materials would also be a bit of a pain in the anatomy; Poser has (I think) two different systems, neither of which will load out of the box into D|S — the materials would probably all have to be reverse-engineered using just the texture maps.

• freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394

So I’m taking it that this figure will not work in daz at all, correct?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    freni-kyn said:

Correct.  Not unless you put a ton of work with re-rigging everything just to name one problem.  Once the figure is rigged for DS, all the clothes, hair and other accessories has to be re-rigged too.  A lot of work for a free figure.  Not sure if you can redistribute the end results anyway.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    freni-kyn said:

Actually, it seems she can be used in DS, but you will need Poser to be able to convert her. There is a thread over on the Hivewire forums on La Femme where mininessie explains how to convert her, and has examples of her posed and rendered in DS. Of course all of the Poser only features (like the pose chips) won't convert, so it's just a partial conversion, but appearantly the figure is poseable in DS using the conversion method mininessie describes.

DS render of La Femme by mininessie

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    DustRider said:
    Of course all of the Poser only features (like the pose chips) won't convert,

Ah, I thought the "pose chips" were the same sort of thing as the facial bones DAZ has been putting into the last couple generations of Genesis. So they're totally D|S-incompatible and would (again) have to be rebuilt from the base mesh outwards?

• Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited February 2019

She does look quite lovely in Daz, but it seems like a lot of work just to get her there.

Also, the thought ocurred to me: How successful she is in the long-term depends on the type of content and especially the content creators making stuff for her. Sure, you have some of the Rendo/Poser old guard -and they are lovely items, to be fair- and a few crossover creators... but without any of the "big draw" content creators that can really push the limits of what a morphable figure can become and do, make utilities that make the figure more versatile, and/or make beautiful items that are worth the price, I just don't see her having a life span longer than 2-3 years... 5, if I'm being generous.

I really hope I'm wrong, though. The more I see of her, the more I'm gradually warming up to the idea to re-install Poser 11 and give her a spin, but I don't want to invest in something -again- that'll flame out and largely be forgotten sooner rather than later. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but when you're burned a couple of times on something promising, well... the skepticism comes out, man.

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

To be honest, I think she's doomed just because she's aimed exclusively at Poser Users, and it's going to be really hard to pull that stubborn group away from the huge establilshed content base for V4/M4.  The only Non-DAZ figures that have managed to establlish a niche for themselves in the last five years are Dawn/Dusk, and even though they have the advantages of being able to work in both systems.and both a male and female base character, the amount of content that's been created for them pales into insignifigance when compared to what DAZ cranks out for each new generation of Genesis. 

• 3WC said:

I got my Poser11pro upgrade from PP11 which I paid $45 for for $50 and I know people who grabbed Debut for free who did it for $50 too

How did they get a $50 upgrade from Debut? Is there a coupon somewhere? The SM site is showing $100+ for an upgrade from any non pro version.

There is a current bundle with an upgrade from any version to 11 for $40 with La Femme and a few items....I currently have version 9 so I am eyeing it.
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,481
    edited February 2019

Sighs. Shakes head.

Post edited by Greybro on
  • SempieSempie Posts: 651
    edited February 2019

What is still missing is some sort of basic clothing pack (the usual 'boring' stuff like a pair of jeans, a skirt, a T-shirt, a polo-shirt, some everyday shoes. That's the sort of minimum I need for a character to be useful.

I also thought Mankahoo's Bella is rather nice, but her complete lack of wardrobe is putting me off. Can't send the girl on the streets in a bikini....

Post edited by Sempie on
  • ThatOminThatOmin Posts: 37
    edited February 2019

If Smith-Micro is smart they will make Poser free.

With this new model they can take back the entire market since Renderosity will eventually stop/slow down support for Genesis if La Femme gains more support.

I can't lie, this model "looks" better than Genesis 8 to me.

Post edited by ThatOmin on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,030
    edited February 2019
    ThatOmin said:

Not a chance IMO. Smith Micro makes its money selling software, not content, they've even closed their own content store so they could focus on the software....

ThatOmin said:
    Renderosity will eventually stop/slow down support for Genesis if La Femme gains more support.

Renderosity sells any product submitted to them as long as it meets their guidelines and is not broken.

Quite a few former poser content vendors switched to DS because that's where the money was, so La Femme would need to become very, very successful for vendors to stop producing content for the Genesis line...

Post edited by Leana on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928
    edited February 2019
    AllenArt said:

She was released with a nice selection of different products, which is the right way to do it, IMVHO. I think Rendo dropped the ball with the $3.50 pay to play thing. They could have at least MENTIONED it in the ad copy. Can't call her free then. Not that I'd mind paying $3.50...of course not...but that's not the point. You don't call something free and then turn around and say "you need to pay X amount first". That just makes people mad. And that makes me feel bad for Nerd and Dee and BH and everyone that worked so hard on her. She could have had a much better launch.

I do open Poser every now and then. TBH, it does feel clunky and unnatural to me now after using DS for about 4 years. It does come back after a couple hours tho...lol. At least for me, who used it for nearly 20 years before I switched...hehe.

Laurie

I myself used poser ever since poser 3, but the interface never really fully fit with me, indeed it was quite frustrating, I was quitting smoking at the time I made the switch over to DS2 and haven't looked back since as DS's interface is a joy to work with!

I suppose it's a matter of different strokes; the flexability with their tabs and body-part specific camera orbiting makes posing such a joy rather than switching between different cams (Pre poser 2k12) and having a condensed and flexable tabbed interface is why I can no longer stay within poser's track balled environment for very long.

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928
    edited February 2019
    DustRider said:

The figure looks great, especially Blackhearted's figure. Rendo is giving a decent deal to upgrade to Poser Pro 11, and get La Femme, a pose pack, a pair of slip ons, and Swim Suit for ~$50

Do you have a link for this deal?

Duh, I found it!

Link removed

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited February 2019
    Leana said:
    ThatOmin said:

Not a chance IMO. Smith Micro makes its money selling software, not content, they've even closed their own content store so they could focus on the software....

Well, considering Celsys kicked SM to the curb in regards to Clip Studio Paint and took over marketing and distributing it for the West, SM better start thinking about their long-term future. I'm surprised they haven't entertained the idea of a subscription-based service like other programs. The high cost of entry is a barrier for most hobbyists, which makes the "carte blanche" model of DS look far more appealing.

Leana said:
    ThatOmin said:
    Renderosity will eventually stop/slow down support for Genesis if La Femme gains more support.

Renderosity sells any product submitted to them as long as it meets their guidelines and is not broken.

Quite a few former poser content vendors switched to DS because that's where the money was, so La Femme would need to become very, very successful for vendors to stop producing content for the Genesis line...

This is true. Without "big draw" vendors making items and utilities for this figure, the only success she'll find is with the already established Poser "old guard" base. For example: Dawn had some pretty notable support when she was first released... and then those same vendors stopped making things for her a year or so later (presumably due to low sales compared to Genesis-based items), and she's quickly fallen into obscurity since. I'd imagine quite a few vendors who aren't beholden to one store/program are, at this point, extremely skeptical of any "new" Poser figure and thus are reluctant to make things for it, too. 

So unless LaFemme suddenly takes off, I don't think Rendo will be forcing out Genesis/Daz-only content creators yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually do just that at SM's behest, even if LaFemme isn't a success in the long run.

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Finlaena said:

So unless LaFemme suddenly takes off, I don't think Rendo will be forcing out Genesis/Daz-only content creators yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually do just that at SM's behest, even if LaFemme isn't a success in the long run.

At this point I'd consider that highly unlikely.  Unlike DAZ, which owns a huge amount of digital content on their own, Renderosity is a business that operates like a flea market.  They have a tiny little booth of their own that sells the RPublishing and Blacksmith 3D products, and they're trying to get into a few other business, but, by and large, the vast majority of what they make comes as percentages from the vendors who use their site to sell their own product.  If those vendors want to only produce Genesis 3./8 products, Rendo will sell them because that's what keeps the lights on. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2019

I'm impressed with what's coming out for La Femme and enjoy working with her. She's a good base to build on, and her skin looks great in Superfly. Blackhearted's Femme Fatale morphs are gorgeous. OOT's hairs and clothing for her look very good, and she takes V4 hairs very well. There's a free morph to adjust her head to get a flawless fit. Clothing can be adjusting in Fitting Room and by draping. 

I'm all for variety, and own so much already for Poser. I've been waiting to see more support for Superfly, as it looks promising. If only it was an easy to use as Iray. My results are still hit or miss with it. Getting renders with no grain can be a challenge. That said, I've seen stunning renders done in Poser that are over 5 years old, some even older (in Firefly or whatever was before it.) It really is the artist, not the tool, that creates the magic. 

I'm certainly willing to give her a try, though I'm ten times faster at everything in DAZ. I hope La Femme does well! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited February 2019
    If grainy images are a problem and you have a modern nvidia card and Win10, try the nvidia optix ai denoiser, the stand alone freebie here https://declanrussell.com/portfolio/nvidia-ai-denoiser/ most pricey 3D apps have it integrated now inside them, but I guess it will take time for the cheaper ones like Poser.
    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    DustRider said:
    Of course all of the Poser only features (like the pose chips) won't convert,

Ah, I thought the "pose chips" were the same sort of thing as the facial bones DAZ has been putting into the last couple generations of Genesis. So they're totally D|S-incompatible and would (again) have to be rebuilt from the base mesh outwards?

That's pretty much all they are, remember all those skirts and dresses for V3 & V4 that had handles on them, same idea, a ghost bone where it's joint parameters affect an area of mesh.

Problem with La Femme is that the rigging is pure Poser WM, so all the Poser importer plugin in DS gives us is the mesh, the bones and any morphs/JCMs.

So any bone in that CR2 that doesn't have geometry assigned to it does nothing once imported to DS, even bones with assigned geometry don't get much, just enough of a very rough rig to allow the bone to move the mesh.

This is why I keep telling people not to waste their time trying to convert Poser figures to DS, even the DAZ figures, that "convert to WM" function is for the masochists who want to spend the thousands of hours rebuilding a figure and it's content, or for the terminally stupid who just haven't got a clue.

• magicweavermagicweaver Posts: 244

yes sox i have to waaaayyy to much free time lmao