Help with Iray/multi gpu's (1060 and 1070)

I have a ryzen 1700x system i just built with a 1060 3gb (i wasnt  sure i wanted to invest as much in a  used graphics card as i did my entire system.. which i built for about 330...). The 1060 drivers started crashing any time i exceeded the cards memory and had longer renders. I bought and installed a 1070 today so the 1070 is in the x16 slot and the 60 is in the other (x4? x8?) slot with all the monitors hooked to it (3 monitors. During normal use they use up about 500 meg of the 1060's vram). It renders hyperfast with  "just" 4 daz g3 characters (that taxed the hell out of the 1060 alone and always dropped to cpu). But i dropped in a pretty high vertex island scene and it crashes so hard it restarts with the generic windows driver, 1 monitor, 1068x1040 and i have to go to the nvidia control panel and redo it.. Admittedly.. this is a pretty hardcore scene but with 8gb of vram it should handle it easily.

Does anyone have any tips? Is there a specific driver version i should regress too? Should i disable the 1060 in daz and only use the 1070? This is stunningly frustrating. Im a bit glad i didnt fork out for the used titan or 1080 now as the problem doesnt seem to be vram

Comments

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

Disable the 1060 when rendering scenes that require over 3GB of memory.  Your scene has to fit into the memory of both cards.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,822
    edited January 2019

Disable the 1060 when rendering scenes that require over 3GB of memory.  Your scene has to fit into the memory of both cards.

Cheers,

Alex.

Not correct, if the scene fits in one GPU and not the other then only the one that doesn't hold it will be dropped.

cdreid1 you may want to look at https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer and https://www.daz3d.com/resource-saver-shaders-collection-for-iray

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • cdreid1cdreid1 Posts: 10
    edited January 2019
    Thank you both. I have scene optimizer and it's brilliant. Though I do forget to use it sometimes. I'll check out the shader pack. And I think you may both be right on the cards. It should run as is. I think it's an iray flaw and that maybe once it is over my lower cards memory shuttling data to the second card causes the problem. I'll disable the 1060 that should effectively separate rendering and my desktop and solve everything. Thanks
    Post edited by cdreid1 on