Free Graphic Tools

jake_fjake_f Posts: 226
edited January 2019 in Freebies

This is not strictly DAZ related (mod decision respected) but here's a super simple  free way to remove the background from a photo of a human.  Perhaps this will be helpful in your graphics work.

https://www.remove.bg/

I've only tested it a few times, but it worked perfectly, and couldn't possibly be easier to use.

Post edited by jake_f on

Comments

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437

Looks very useful. Thanks! :D

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Nice, thank you!

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
    edited January 2019

wow..its way fast and 100 times cleaner than what I can do in Paint Shop Pro.

girl1-removebg.png
    500 x 328 - 297K
    girl1.jpeg
    2258 x 1500 - 243K
    Post edited by daveso on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

bookmarked THX

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588

Cool find. Too bad the current output is limited to 500 pixels x 500 pixels.

• jake_fjake_f Posts: 226
    Pixel8ted said:

Cool find. Too bad the current output is limited to 500 pixels x 500 pixels.

Yea, that's a limitation for sure.  It sounds like they may increase this, and members may wish to join their mailing list so you'll be notified if that happens.

https://www.remove.bg/about  ; (see bottom of page for signup form)

Here's a web tool which creates a 3D face from a single photo.

http://cvl-demos.cs.nott.ac.uk/vrn/

It seems interesting, but of pretty limited use perhaps.  You can export an object file which can be imported in to DAZ.   However, due to my very limited skills I don't know how to get the colors of the object.  Perhaps one of you can solve that one.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited January 2019

We moved to Freebies. Please do not create single threads if you intend to do more than one freebie. We suggest renaming your thread to perhaps Free Tools or something that describes the topic.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Ok Cris, got it.  I wondered about that, thanks for the instruction.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950

Wow, very good. Thanks. Just what I needed laugh

edited January 2019

Here's a web tool which creates a 3D face from a single photo.

http://cvl-demos.cs.nott.ac.uk/vrn/

It seems interesting, but of pretty limited use perhaps.  You can export an object file which can be imported in to DAZ.   However, due to my very limited skills I don't know how to get the colors of the object.  Perhaps one of you can solve that one.

well it has no UV mapping but both Meshlab and Zbrush see the vertex colours sadly Zbrush UV master errors out trying to unwrap it and my other apps destroy the vertex colours

so another UV mapped mesh with it in Meshlab and sampling filter vertex attribute transfer might work,

if using meshlab which is free

I find it flakey at best and have Zbrush so would use a zremeshed subdivided mesh I then run UVmaster on  and append the first one as a subtool and transfer with Zprojection

Untitled.jpg
    1847 x 1027 - 277K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2019

I must say its not bad

this is using Zbrush

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 169K
    david.jpg
    738 x 919 - 119K

Thanks Wendy.  If one needs only a static pose one can adjust the 3D image on their website to the desired angle and then take a screen shot.  Image is pretty low quality though.   I haven't found a good use for it yet myself, but then I'm a nube and I thought you guys might know how to hack this in to something useful.  You seem to be on the right track.

yeah I tried the free way using Meshlab with my usual result crying  crasssssssh

Blender is the other free alternative that may work

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 143K
    edited January 2019

you can try a UV mapper and do a planar UV and line it up to the photo

Roadkill a good free one

http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page6.htm

the Maya zip has a standalone exe

Thanks Wendy.  If one needs only a static pose one can adjust the 3D image on their website to the desired angle and then take a screen shot.  Image is pretty low quality though.   I haven't found a good use for it yet myself, but then I'm a nube and I thought you guys might know how to hack this in to something useful.  You seem to be on the right track.

as you are new I better explain UV mapping to you

its how you tell a mesh where to load a texture map

is using the letters UVW instead of XYZ for cartesian co-ordinates on a graph to confuse the heck out of noobs cheeky

is using the letters UVW instead of XYZ for cartesian co-ordinates on a graph to confuse the heck out of noobs cheeky

Well yes, you're getting a tad beyond my skill level at this point smiley but I'm sure others will find what you're doing useful, so keep it up.

edited January 2019

Well yes, you're getting a tad beyond my skill level at this point smiley but I'm sure others will find what you're doing useful, so keep it up.

sorry about that cheeky

but please read up on and watch youtube videos about UV mapping it will help you enormously when dealing with imported objects even if you don't model any but thats fun too

Hexagon is free and has basic UV mapping too

So UV mapping is wrapping a 2D image around a 3D object?   Or?

Ok, Hexegon has a mac version, and like you said, free.  So I'm a candidate.

So UV mapping is wrapping a 2D image around a 3D object?   Or?

Ok, Hexegon has a mac version, and like you said, free.  So I'm a candidate.

yes

if you want to put textures on anything it needs to be UV mapped

lots of imported obj like your face model link are not

and if you learn to model your own stuff it also needs to be UV mapped

Hexagon is a good app (I just use ones I find easier that are not free) many PA's use Hexagon, Arki and DZfire to name two.

I must say its not bad

this is using Zbrush

Wendy, could you do a short tutorial on how to do this? I am only able to see the obj with no textures in ZBrush. Thanks.

I will but just importing the object it had vertex colours

edited January 2019

here is a video capture that may help

I took a few goes to select the right tool to project and check the paintbrush

the part after the download is 2X speed

my mesh still has horrible topology though I would probably want to clean it up  lot more before zprojecting the original

edited January 2019

oh crap Zbrush has my full name on it

3D friends is fine knowing who I am but I don't want my 23K subscribers seeing my real name angry

had I thought about it, I forgot, I was in Hitfilm I could have stuck a stormcloud or a light flare over it or just cropped it blush

update

reuploaded an edit

here is a video capture that may help

I took a few goes to select the right tool to project and check the paintbrush

the part after the download is 2X speed

my mesh still has horrible topology though I would probably want to clean it up  lot more before zprojecting the original

Thanks, Wendy. When I started fresh and reimported the obj, this time it came in with color, so must have been a fluke. I'm doing some tests now because one thing I noticed is the normals are all flipped.

also its a double mesh with holes so zremeshing or any other cleanup tends to create a shell within a shell

I would really have to retopologise it in another program, its quite a bit of work to get something useable 

Yes, retopology is what I think is the best way, too.